edatoakrun
Delivery Date: 15 May 2011
Leaf Number: 2184

Re: Autonomous Vehicles, LEAF and others...

Fri Nov 10, 2017 5:45 pm

Is this infographic the first time Nissan (or any credible manufacturer) has stated full door-to-door autonomy (presumably by utilizing a remote human back-up driver) will be delivered by 2020?

Nissan’s future generation ProPILOT technology – available for real-world use from 2020

https://newsroom.nissan-global.com/rele ... rban-roads
no condition is permanent

GRA

Sat Nov 11, 2017 4:09 pm

May be. Here's an article discussing claims/forecasts of AV timelines as of June: https://venturebeat.com/2017/06/04/self-driving-car-timeline-for-11-top-automakers/

I suspect full door-to-door won't be possible except for a few limited urban areas by 2020, but I think there's a decent chance we'll get L4 on freeways by then.
Guy [I have lots of experience designing/selling off-grid AE systems, some using EVs but don't own one. Local trips are by foot, bike and/or rapid transit].

The 'best' is the enemy of 'good enough'. Copper shot, not Silver bullets.

DanCar
Delivery Date: 10 Mar 2013

Sat Nov 11, 2017 4:32 pm

GRA wrote:...I suspect full door-to-door won't be possible except for a few limited urban areas by 2020, but I think there's a decent chance we'll get L4 on freeways by then.
Isn't google waymo doing this now?

GRA

Sun Nov 12, 2017 5:34 pm

I'd say that's pretty much still dem/val. I'm talking about the point when the public can buy cars with L4 capability.
Guy [I have lots of experience designing/selling off-grid AE systems, some using EVs but don't own one. Local trips are by foot, bike and/or rapid transit].

GRA

Mon Nov 13, 2017 7:59 pm

Followup to earlier post, via IEVS:
Safety Probe Coming For Vegas Self-Driving Shuttle Accident – video
https://insideevs.com/safety-probe-coming-for-vegas-self-driving-shuttle-wreck/

The recent accident involving an autonomous NAVYA Arma electric shuttle in Las Vegas just moments after its official launch, has now became the subject of U.S. National Transportation Safety Board investigation.

The cause of the collision is known – a semi truck backed into the stopped shuttle in an intersection. Fault was found because of the human error of the truck diver, who was then cited and a received ticket, however the accident appeared to still have been easily avoidable – had the shuttle taken appropriate and expected actions to avoid the incident. . . .

“There have been other crashes involving self-driving vehicles but this was the first involving a self-driving vehicle operating in public service, O‘Neil said. Four NTSB investigators were expected to arrive in Las Vegas on Friday.” – via Reuters

Thankfully, the accident was not a serious one, as the Navya ARMA shuttle’s front end sustained only minor damage, and resumed service the next day.

However, the accident could have potentially be avoided if shuttle would have used its horn to alert the truck driver (as would be expected of a human driver) or simple reverse a few feet (the street was clear behind the vehicle at the time). These are areas were autonomous vehicles could be upgraded. . . .

RegGuheert
Delivery Date: 16 Mar 2012
Leaf Number: 5926

Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:40 am

That article is full of mistakes. InsideEVs should proofread and edit their material before posting it.
RegGuheert
2011 Leaf SL Demo vehicle
2011 miles at purchase. 10K miles on Apr 14, 2013. 20K miles (55.7Ah) on Aug 7, 2014, 30K miles (52.0Ah) on Dec 30, 2015, 40K miles (49.8Ah) on Feb 8, 2017.
Enphase Inverter Measured MTBF: M190, M215, M250, S280

Return to “Off-Topic”