GRA
Posts: 9243
Joined: Mon Sep 19, 2011 1:49 pm
Location: East side of San Francisco Bay

Re: Anyone into electric cycling?

Sat Jul 28, 2018 3:39 pm

Evoforce wrote:I created an electric full size folder but have had some unfortunate things happen and haven't been able to ride in a while. Have several others too! A very practical and fun form of transit!

I think the often-shared folding electric scooters that are now appearing in cities all over the place are excellent first/last mile vehicles, especially for people who have to wear business attire to work and can't get all sweaty. They're also easy to carry on mass transit. e-Bikes strike me as best suited for longer trips.
Guy [I have lots of experience designing/selling off-grid AE systems, some using EVs but don't own one. Local trips are by foot, bike and/or rapid transit].

The 'best' is the enemy of 'good enough'. Copper shot, not Silver bullets.

LeftieBiker
Posts: 9387
Joined: Wed May 22, 2013 3:17 am
Delivery Date: 31 May 2013
Location: Upstate New York, US

Re: Anyone into electric cycling?

Sat Jul 28, 2018 5:07 pm

I just got back from a 16 mile, 1 hour ride (yes, that's an average speed of 16MPH, even with two rest stops). It's really hard to take a short ride on this bike.
Scarlet Ember 2018 Leaf SL W/ Pro Pilot
2009 Vectrix VX-1 W/18 Leaf modules, & 3 EZIP E-bicycles.
PLEASE don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

Evoforce
Posts: 828
Joined: Wed Mar 04, 2015 9:58 pm
Delivery Date: 28 Feb 2015
Location: Fountain Hills Arizona

Re: Anyone into electric cycling?

Sun Jul 29, 2018 2:09 am

LeftieBiker wrote:I just got back from a 16 mile, 1 hour ride (yes, that's an average speed of 16MPH, even with two rest stops). It's really hard to take a short ride on this bike.


Yes, I always enjoy it and get an EV grin and want to keep going!
*2011 Leaf 1 bought 2/28/15 @ 28,000ish mi 10 bar (8 bars @ 11/25/15 @ 37,453 ) (New lizard @ 39,275 mi @ 1/20/2016) Now 52,166 mi.
*Tesla Model S 61,000 mi
*2011 Leaf 2 bought 4/28/15 @ 24,000ish mi 12 bar (new lizard Dec. 2014 @ 22,273 mi) Now 35,485 mi

Evoforce
Posts: 828
Joined: Wed Mar 04, 2015 9:58 pm
Delivery Date: 28 Feb 2015
Location: Fountain Hills Arizona

Re: Anyone into electric cycling?

Sun Jul 29, 2018 2:12 am

GRA wrote:
Evoforce wrote:I created an electric full size folder but have had some unfortunate things happen and haven't been able to ride in a while. Have several others too! A very practical and fun form of transit!

I think the often-shared folding electric scooters that are now appearing in cities all over the place are excellent first/last mile vehicles, especially for people who have to wear business attire to work and can't get all sweaty. They're also easy to carry on mass transit. e-Bikes strike me as best suited for longer trips.
I agree! Some problems to contend with though are stupid laws that require pedals in a lot of States. So... can't be in the bike lane without pedals and can't be in the sidewalk either as a motorized toy.
*2011 Leaf 1 bought 2/28/15 @ 28,000ish mi 10 bar (8 bars @ 11/25/15 @ 37,453 ) (New lizard @ 39,275 mi @ 1/20/2016) Now 52,166 mi.
*Tesla Model S 61,000 mi
*2011 Leaf 2 bought 4/28/15 @ 24,000ish mi 12 bar (new lizard Dec. 2014 @ 22,273 mi) Now 35,485 mi

jjeff
Posts: 1700
Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2016 9:10 am
Delivery Date: 13 Jul 2014
Leaf Number: 422121
Location: MSP MN

Re: Anyone into electric cycling?

Sun Jul 29, 2018 7:52 am

Evoforce wrote:
GRA wrote:
Evoforce wrote:I created an electric full size folder but have had some unfortunate things happen and haven't been able to ride in a while. Have several others too! A very practical and fun form of transit!

I think the often-shared folding electric scooters that are now appearing in cities all over the place are excellent first/last mile vehicles, especially for people who have to wear business attire to work and can't get all sweaty. They're also easy to carry on mass transit. e-Bikes strike me as best suited for longer trips.
I agree! Some problems to contend with though are stupid laws that require pedals in a lot of States. So... can't be in the bike lane without pedals and can't be in the sidewalk either as a motorized toy.

My state(or is it city??) has such a law. A company recently put several dozen e-scooters on the sidewalks of St. Paul. I saw a couple outside my building and had to check them out. They had a barcode near the handlebar that you would scan with your smartphone after downloading an app. I believe it cost a dollar to use? Anyway the city put the kibosh on it, I believe something about them not being able to be used in sidewalks because they were motorized and not being able to be used on the road because they weren't up to road standards for a motorized device :roll:
Not sure if things have changed but last I checked, something like an e-bike wasn't really legal to be used on MN roads because of a law that said any motorized device on a public street needed to be licensed, just more ways for the state to make money if you ask me :x My guess is if you purchased one and asked, you'd probably have to say it was for off road use ;) It's the same reason driving something like a golf cart on a public road is likely to get you a ticket :cry:
2012 SL purchased used 2/'16
2013 S w/QC purchased new
Juicebox Premium 60a L1/L2 EVSE, Ebusbar 16a L1/L2 EVSE
'12 EVSEupgrade'd 20a L1/L2 EVSE, '13 EVSEupgrade'd adjustable 6-20a L2, 6-13a L1 EVSE
Zencar 13, 20, 30a L1/L2 portable EVSE
GE Durastation 30a

LeftieBiker
Posts: 9387
Joined: Wed May 22, 2013 3:17 am
Delivery Date: 31 May 2013
Location: Upstate New York, US

Re: Anyone into electric cycling?

Sun Jul 29, 2018 12:28 pm

New York defined electric bicycles out of existence decades ago with DMV regs that ban them, but that is on hold in most places (except those with their own e-bike bans in place) while the Legislature tries to pass a law legalizing them in some form.
Scarlet Ember 2018 Leaf SL W/ Pro Pilot
2009 Vectrix VX-1 W/18 Leaf modules, & 3 EZIP E-bicycles.
PLEASE don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

GRA
Posts: 9243
Joined: Mon Sep 19, 2011 1:49 pm
Location: East side of San Francisco Bay

Re: Anyone into electric cycling?

Tue Jul 31, 2018 7:17 pm

Via aBG:
This electric bicycle folds up in just 1 second
https://www.autoblog.com/2018/07/30/electric-bicycle-folds-in-1-second/

. . .The fly folding system makes the bike collapsible and ready to carry in just 1 second. It has an aluminium frame and a total weight of 55 lbs. The 250 watt rear-wheel motor can propel you 40 miles on a full charge. Gi fly meets global e-bike regulations. Top speed with the highest level of electrical assistance is 15 mph. A faster speed can be achieved by pedaling. The bike's smartphone connectivity feature charges your phone and provides directions. There's even an app-controlled locking system which secures your bike when you're 10 ft away. The Gi Fly costs $3,390.

There's a video.
Guy [I have lots of experience designing/selling off-grid AE systems, some using EVs but don't own one. Local trips are by foot, bike and/or rapid transit].

The 'best' is the enemy of 'good enough'. Copper shot, not Silver bullets.

Return to “Off-Topic”