NeilBlanchard
Delivery Date: 14 Oct 2014
Leaf Number: 306278

Re: Anyone into electric cycling?

Fri Oct 13, 2017 9:39 am

There is a waiting list, and it could be delivered by the end of the year. I am making payments, and they will deliver it when I can finish paying for it. I am reconstructing the roof on my house, and we bought a Bolt EV, so I have less money available than I had hoped.

mxp
Delivery Date: 26 Jun 2015

Sun Nov 19, 2017 4:20 pm

Hello,

I might be planning to buy a simple electric bike soon, so I am hoping the experts here can offer some feedback.

Its primarily for the occasionally errands/ ride to tuition center/ grocery shopping/ and the occasional ride to a faraway park (15 miles round trip tops); Primary users are the wife, early teen and myself.

I think we could potentially get a deal on this GenZe recreational model for $1000 : "GenZe e102" (women's / Rec model) https://www.genze.com/e-bikes/#-102-SIL-350-SKD
I found a review here, for the e101 (men's / Sports model) https://electricbikereview.com/forum/th ... 101.12824/ and it seems decent.

Do you folks think for the specs, $1000 is a reasonable cost?

Thanks for any feedback.

LeftieBiker
Delivery Date: 31 May 2013

Sun Nov 19, 2017 7:07 pm

I like that it has both pedal assist and throttle modes, and the specs I can see, like motor power, are ok for what you want. They are pretty mum about things like battery capacity and even type, though. I assume it's lithium, but given the size of the battery compartment in the frame their range estimates seem, as usual, optimistic.
2013 "Brilliant Silver" SV with Premium Package and no QC, and 2009 Vectrix VX-1 with 18 Leaf cells.

The most offensive, tasteless phrase in use here is "Pulled the trigger." I no longer respond to posts that use it.

mxp

Mon Nov 20, 2017 2:24 am

Thanks for your feedback LeftieBiker. Appreciate the 2nd set of eyes on the bike.

The sales rep mentioned that the battery is indeed as you guessed a Li-Ion, 36V, 8.5AH ; charge time to 100% in 3.5 hrs using a power brick. Total weight of the bike incl battery is 46 pounds. Wheels are 26" x 1.75" which I assume are standard size bike wheels (?)

The specs indicated that with pedal assist, you get 30 - 50 miles and throttle only gets 15 - 18 miles.

Is there any other electric bike in this price range, and is comparable to the GenZe? I'd like to read up some more about the alternatives, but I am not following the electric bike scene. A bit clueless at the moment.

LeftieBiker wrote:I like that it has both pedal assist and throttle modes, and the specs I can see, like motor power, are ok for what you want. They are pretty mum about things like battery capacity and even type, though. I assume it's lithium, but given the size of the battery compartment in the frame their range estimates seem, as usual, optimistic.

LeftieBiker

Mon Nov 20, 2017 3:42 am

The wheels are close enough to standard. With an 8.5AH lithium pack you get maybe 7 AH usable, for an assisted range of maybe 20-22 miles on a route with some hills. "Scootering" in throttle mode with no pedaling would get about half that, or less. The range specs always assume flat terrain, light rider, tailwind... I have a giant 20AH Ping pack on my EZIP Trailz, and that is good for maybe 35-40 miles assisted. My bike is heavier, though, and while it has more torque than hubmotor bikes, it is also louder, cruder and has less range because of the weight.

I was actually thinking of getting myself a 21st century E-bike, but they all seem to involve trade-offs, like shift and throttle on the wrong sides, no water bottle cage bosses in the frames, and hubmotors with much more power than my bike's 450 watts, but a greater chance of stalling on a steep hill...
2013 "Brilliant Silver" SV with Premium Package and no QC, and 2009 Vectrix VX-1 with 18 Leaf cells.

The most offensive, tasteless phrase in use here is "Pulled the trigger." I no longer respond to posts that use it.

GRA

Mon Nov 20, 2017 3:38 pm

mxp wrote:Hello,

I might be planning to buy a simple electric bike soon, so I am hoping the experts here can offer some feedback.

Its primarily for the occasionally errands/ ride to tuition center/ grocery shopping/ and the occasional ride to a faraway park (15 miles round trip tops); Primary users are the wife, early teen and myself. <snip>

Just curious, but what leads you to an ebike rather than a regular bike for these sorts of trips? Or to put it another way, what are you hoping to accomplish by riding instead of driving, that makes an ebike preferable to one you provide all the power for?
Guy [I have lots of experience designing/selling off-grid AE systems, some using EVs but don't own one. Local trips are by foot, bike and/or rapid transit].

The 'best' is the enemy of 'good enough'. Copper shot, not Silver bullets.

LeftieBiker

Mon Nov 20, 2017 4:00 pm

Most casual cyclists don't do 15 mile rides regularly (if at all). If there are hills involved, the answer seems pretty obvious.

GRA

Mon Nov 20, 2017 4:11 pm

LeftieBiker wrote:Most casual cyclists don't do 15 mile rides regularly (if at all). If there are hills involved, the answer seems pretty obvious.

Most casual cyclists don't spend 1k on a bike, so I'm just wondering what the OP's rationale is. For me, an e-bike makes sense for utility purposes, i.e. hilly commuting, load hauling etc. but if I'm riding for health/pleasure, I'm going to propel myself. But that's me, and everyone has their own criteria so I wondered what mxp's are, as I'm just up the bay shore from Fremont (which is virtually flat except for the eastern side). I ride the 20-30 mile round trip to/from there occasionally, sometimes on errands but more typically for recreation.
Guy [I have lots of experience designing/selling off-grid AE systems, some using EVs but don't own one. Local trips are by foot, bike and/or rapid transit].

The 'best' is the enemy of 'good enough'. Copper shot, not Silver bullets.

mxp

Tue Nov 21, 2017 1:07 am

Its the hilly terrain (to the park area) and distance which makes the biking not so much fun.
Plus, I think I could convince the wife to spend more time riding a bicycle, if she knew she could make it back home (on electric power) when fatigue sets in.

$1000 is still a huge expense which we would need to think through, especially how often the bike will get utilized....

GRA wrote:
mxp wrote:Hello,

Its primarily for the occasionally errands/ ride to tuition center/ grocery shopping/ and the occasional ride to a faraway park (15 miles round trip tops); Primary users are the wife, early teen and myself. <snip>

Just curious, but what leads you to an ebike rather than a regular bike for these sorts of trips? Or to put it another way, what are you hoping to accomplish by riding instead of driving, that makes an ebike preferable to one you provide all the power for?

mxp

Tue Nov 21, 2017 1:16 am

Thanks. The GenZe has a 36V 350W brushless rear hub motor. Hopefully, that will be enough to go up some small hills.

LeftieBiker wrote:The wheels are close enough to standard. With an 8.5AH lithium pack you get maybe 7 AH usable, for an assisted range of maybe 20-22 miles on a route with some hills. "Scootering" in throttle mode with no pedaling would get about half that, or less. The range specs always assume flat terrain, light rider, tailwind... I have a giant 20AH Ping pack on my EZIP Trailz, and that is good for maybe 35-40 miles assisted. My bike is heavier, though, and while it has more torque than hubmotor bikes, it is also louder, cruder and has less range because of the weight.

I was actually thinking of getting myself a 21st century E-bike, but they all seem to involve trade-offs, like shift and throttle on the wrong sides, no water bottle cage bosses in the frames, and hubmotors with much more power than my bike's 450 watts, but a greater chance of stalling on a steep hill...

Return to “Off-Topic”