NeilBlanchard
Delivery Date: 14 Oct 2014
Leaf Number: 306278

Re: Anyone into electric cycling?

Fri Dec 16, 2016 9:26 pm

A seat heater would be my suggestion. The option list is pretty short - many bigger batteries, a solar PV array for the roof, custom colors, and few other small things.

There are bicycles out there that cost at least this much. I am hoping to go take a look at the PEBL in the spring.

NeilBlanchard

Mon Jul 10, 2017 10:20 am

So, I ordered a red PEBL on Saturday! I am getting it with the 100 mile battery, which is 48V 64Ah, the windshield wiper, interior lights, 12V power outlet (which I plan on using an electric vest/jacket in the winter), the 3" cruiser tires with puncture protection. The total price is $8605. Expected delivery is in the October / November time frame.

They will be lowering the seat a couple of inches to provide more headroom. I'm 6'-4" and my hair was lightly brushing the headliner, with the optional ~1" mesh seat cushion.

Standard features are the rollup doors, floor panel, electric reverse, cruise control, regenerative braking, lights and turn signals and horn, 8-speed rear hub gears, USB charging, voltmeter, front drum and rear disk brakes, fully suspension, rear bench seat.

I decided against getting the 120watt solar panel, because we have so many trees, that it would only make a small difference, if any, much of the time. I will be having a 10kW solar PV system on my house, so that is the best way to do it. And the other option I passed up is a 600watt heater. I will use an electric vest / jacket in the winter, and if I am out in a snow storm, I'll just have to deal with things.

Doing the rough math, the 48V 64Ah battery is a touch over 3kWh, and if it goes the estimated 100 miles, that is ~30Wh/mile - which is over 1100MPGe. Paying our high retail electricity rates (about 21¢ / kWh), that would be about 0.63¢ / mile.

That is roughly 8X better than our EV's, which is really good, already.

GRA

Mon Jul 10, 2017 3:47 pm

Please do give us the occasional test report/review, after you've lived with it for awhile. Whereabouts are you that it's cold enough to need heated clothing in winter, if you're peddling and not exposed to the wind?
Guy [I have lots of experience designing/selling off-grid AE systems, some using EVs but don't own one. Local trips are by foot, bike and/or rapid transit].

The 'best' is the enemy of 'good enough'. Copper shot, not Silver bullets.

NeilBlanchard

Wed Jul 12, 2017 10:08 am

I live in Massachusetts. Motorcycle heated vests are 50-75W typically, so this would be a lot more efficient than the optional 600W heater you can order with the PEBL. The other thing needed is a battery heater, for temperatures below freezing.

Return to “Off-Topic”