NeilBlanchard
Delivery Date: 14 Oct 2014
Leaf Number: 306278

Re: Anyone into electric cycling?

Fri Dec 16, 2016 9:26 pm

A seat heater would be my suggestion. The option list is pretty short - many bigger batteries, a solar PV array for the roof, custom colors, and few other small things.

There are bicycles out there that cost at least this much. I am hoping to go take a look at the PEBL in the spring.

NeilBlanchard

Mon Jul 10, 2017 10:20 am

So, I ordered a red PEBL on Saturday! I am getting it with the 100 mile battery, which is 48V 64Ah, the windshield wiper, interior lights, 12V power outlet (which I plan on using an electric vest/jacket in the winter), the 3" cruiser tires with puncture protection. The total price is $8605. Expected delivery is in the October / November time frame.

They will be lowering the seat a couple of inches to provide more headroom. I'm 6'-4" and my hair was lightly brushing the headliner, with the optional ~1" mesh seat cushion.

Standard features are the rollup doors, floor panel, electric reverse, cruise control, regenerative braking, lights and turn signals and horn, 8-speed rear hub gears, USB charging, voltmeter, front drum and rear disk brakes, fully suspension, rear bench seat.

I decided against getting the 120watt solar panel, because we have so many trees, that it would only make a small difference, if any, much of the time. I will be having a 10kW solar PV system on my house, so that is the best way to do it. And the other option I passed up is a 600watt heater. I will use an electric vest / jacket in the winter, and if I am out in a snow storm, I'll just have to deal with things.

Doing the rough math, the 48V 64Ah battery is a touch over 3kWh, and if it goes the estimated 100 miles, that is ~30Wh/mile - which is over 1100MPGe. Paying our high retail electricity rates (about 21¢ / kWh), that would be about 0.63¢ / mile.

That is roughly 8X better than our EV's, which is really good, already.

GRA

Mon Jul 10, 2017 3:47 pm

Please do give us the occasional test report/review, after you've lived with it for awhile. Whereabouts are you that it's cold enough to need heated clothing in winter, if you're peddling and not exposed to the wind?
Guy [I have lots of experience designing/selling off-grid AE systems, some using EVs but don't own one. Local trips are by foot, bike and/or rapid transit].

The 'best' is the enemy of 'good enough'. Copper shot, not Silver bullets.

NeilBlanchard

Wed Jul 12, 2017 10:08 am

I live in Massachusetts. Motorcycle heated vests are 50-75W typically, so this would be a lot more efficient than the optional 600W heater you can order with the PEBL. The other thing needed is a battery heater, for temperatures below freezing.

GRA

Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:02 pm

Via IEVS:
Yamaha Enters U.S. Electric Bike Market
https://insideevs.com/yamaha-enters-u-s-electric-bike-market/

Yamaha announced that it will ride on to the U.S. electric bicycle market with the launch of its Yamaha Power Assisted Bicycles line of bikes at the Interbike trade show this year. . . .

The parent company launched the world’s first electrically power assisted bicycle in 1993 and has since produced more than four million drive units and sold over two million Yamaha power assist bicycles. Yamaha supplies class-leading e-Bike Systems to select OEM partners worldwide.
. . .

"Power assist" = pedelec.
Guy [I have lots of experience designing/selling off-grid AE systems, some using EVs but don't own one. Local trips are by foot, bike and/or rapid transit].

SageBrush
Delivery Date: 13 Feb 2017

Tue Oct 10, 2017 7:22 pm

NeilBlanchard wrote:I live in Massachusetts. Motorcycle heated vests are 50-75W typically, so this would be a lot more efficient than the optional 600W heater you can order with the PEBL. The other thing needed is a battery heater, for temperatures below freezing.

Enjoy!
Are you planning to use it in the snow ?
2013 Model 'S' with QC & rear-view camera
Bought off-lease Jan 2017 from N. California with 63.9 Ahr after 22k miles
Car is now enjoying an easy life in Colorado

NeilBlanchard

Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:47 am

SageBrush wrote:
NeilBlanchard wrote:I live in Massachusetts. Motorcycle heated vests are 50-75W typically, so this would be a lot more efficient than the optional 600W heater you can order with the PEBL. The other thing needed is a battery heater, for temperatures below freezing.

Enjoy!
Are you planning to use it in the snow ?

I plan on using it all year, and if I have to drive it in the snow, it should be okay.

GRA

Wed Oct 11, 2017 5:23 pm

Care to give us a report of your experience to date?

NeilBlanchard

Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:02 am

I will when I get it. I am hoping that will be in the spring.

GRA

Thu Oct 12, 2017 4:32 pm

NeilBlanchard wrote:I will when I get it. I am hoping that will be in the spring.

I thought you ordered it last July?

Return to “Off-Topic”