Volusiano
Delivery Date: 03 Jun 2011

Re: Anyone into electric cycling?

Sat Dec 07, 2013 6:39 pm

LeftieBiker wrote:
Stoaty wrote:Interesting article on the "Copenhagen Wheel" (replace the back wheel with this product and you have an electric bike). Now available to order with shipment in first quarter of 2014 for $699. Be sure to watch the video:

http://insideevs.com/video-mit-backed-c ... -of-range/

Pre-order here:

https://www.superpedestrian.com/

It uses a small but heavy lead-acid battery. That equals low range (30 miles would be like the Leaf's 100 mile range), high weight, and lower performance. This thing seems to be a solution in vain search of a problem.
Really? I saw the spec on their website and it says the battery is rechargeable lithium, not lead-acid. Why do you think it's lead-acid?

Stoaty
Delivery Date: 12 Jun 2011
Leaf Number: 3871

Sat Dec 07, 2013 7:16 pm

LeftieBiker wrote: It uses a small but heavy lead-acid battery. That equals low range (30 miles would be like the Leaf's 100 mile range), high weight, and lower performance.

Do you need reading glasses? ;)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2011 Leaf with 62,000 miles given to Nephew
2013 Tesla Model S85 with 251 miles rated range at full charge
Leaf Spy Manual
Battery Aging Model Spreadsheet

LeftieBiker
Delivery Date: 31 May 2013

Sat Dec 07, 2013 10:09 pm

Oops, no - I read another piece on it that said lead-acid. Either it's available with both or one of the articles is wrong. Anyway, the idea of putting the battery in the wheel has problems - mainly the range and power available. The US version is 350 watts, and that's kind of anemic for a hubmotor. A geared motor could work with that little power, but unless this has both a battery pack and a transmission in it (unlikely with regen), it will most likely underwhelm.
Scarlet Ember 2018 Leaf SL W/ Pro Pilot
2009 Vectrix VX-1 W/18 Leaf modules, & 3 EZIP E-bicycles.
PLEASE don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

LeftieBiker

Tue Mar 18, 2014 10:51 pm

Man, this site can be a PITA, especially finding and posting to older topics... anyway, has anyone else been doing Winter riding? I have bad circulation, so I go out wearing two or three layers of clothes (including two pairs of socks), electric inner soles, electric lithium powered heated gloves, and a pair of foot warmers on my inner socks. Oh, and a ski visor over my heavy balaclava. ;-) It's quite rewarding, though, cycling past snow and ice-covered fields, and watching the deer, eagles and other wildlife ignore me. It's getting a bit old doing it like this in mid-March, mind you, but I can still get 10-14 miles in. Still, I will definitely be welcoming Spring!
PLEASE don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

Boomer23
Delivery Date: 30 Mar 2011

Tue Mar 18, 2014 11:15 pm

LeftieBiker wrote:Man, this site can be a PITA, especially finding and posting to older topics... anyway, has anyone else been doing Winter riding? I have bad circulation, so I go out wearing two or three layers of clothes (including two pairs of socks), electric inner soles, electric lithium powered heated gloves, and a pair of foot warmers on my inner socks. Oh, and a ski visor over my heavy balaclava. ;-) It's quite rewarding, though, cycling past snow and ice-covered fields, and watching the deer, eagles and other wildlife ignore me. It's getting a bit old doing it like this in mid-March, mind you, but I can still get 10-14 miles in. Still, I will definitely be welcoming Spring!

You have my admiration for your dedication and my sympathies for the cold weather. It must be beautiful out there in the snow, though.

Though we have drought and earthquakes, and sometimes bad brush fires, winter riding here on the left coast is generally pretty easy. I've been riding almost daily, but all I've needed is a windbreaker on some days. We're already enjoying Spring, and my favorite canyon destination is greening up quite nicely.

Ride on!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2014 BMW i3 with Range Extender
2017 Chevy Bolt EV Premier Kinetic Blue
Blog: http://drivingelectric.blogspot.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

LeftieBiker

Wed Mar 19, 2014 12:07 am

If I had a photo to post, you'd swear it was still January here. The Hudson froze over then, thawed last week, but above Lock 3 it refroze this week!

kubel
Leaf Number: 19628

Wed Mar 19, 2014 6:43 am

We had a heat wave come through Michigan yesterday. It was 39F and I broke out my eBike and rode to work. I need to find my headlight charger though. Riding in the dark isn't fun.
2012 Nissan LEAF SV
20% degradation in 42k miles
Leased 5-17-2012, Returned 1-15-2016

2017 Chevy Volt LT
Siren Red Tintcoat
Leased 10-21-2016

LeftieBiker

Wed Mar 19, 2014 2:54 pm

kubel wrote:We had a heat wave come through Michigan yesterday. It was 39F and I broke out my eBike and rode to work. I need to find my headlight charger though. Riding in the dark isn't fun.

That's why I like AA/AAA battery lights. Easy to carry spares.

mxp
Delivery Date: 26 Jun 2015

Mon May 26, 2014 6:28 pm

Does anyone here know more about the GoCycle G2R folding e-bike? http://www.gocycle.com/category_s/90.htm
It's only 34 lbs and does 40 miles on one charge. Best thing, it's foldable.

I read some articles with a bit of google but I can't find anything about purchasing it in San Francisco.

Stoaty
Delivery Date: 12 Jun 2011
Leaf Number: 3871

Mon May 26, 2014 8:24 pm

mxp wrote:Does anyone here know more about the GoCycle G2R folding e-bike? http://www.gocycle.com/category_s/90.htm
It's only 34 lbs and does 40 miles on one charge. Best thing, it's foldable.

I read some articles with a bit of google but I can't find anything about purchasing it in San Francisco.

Their web site doesn't show any licensed dealer in the U.S., so probably pretty difficult to get it here.
2011 Leaf with 62,000 miles given to Nephew
2013 Tesla Model S85 with 251 miles rated range at full charge
Leaf Spy Manual
Battery Aging Model Spreadsheet

Return to “Off-Topic”