User avatar
Boomer23
Posts: 3550
Joined: Sun May 23, 2010 9:57 pm
Delivery Date: 30 Mar 2011
Location: Orange County, CA

Re: Anyone into electric cycling?

Thu Oct 04, 2012 6:56 pm

Nubo wrote:I've cycled most of my life. I fear that an electric bike would be the beginning of the end. Personally I need the bike as a means to measure myself against the world. That is the best thing about riding and I don't want to give that up, ever. If I begin dottering, sit me on a trike or quadricycle with super-low gears and let me grind away at a snail's pace if that's what it takes to get me outside moving under my own, and only my own, power.


I'll report back after this weekend's test runs, but so far, from the short uphill rides that I've done, the e-bike has had the opposite effect on my aging and vulnerable 64 year-old psyche. Far from feeling geriatric, I felt like a kid again riding those things. To each his own, but for me, this looks like a road (or a trail :D ) back into fitness and outdoor enjoyment.
2018 Tesla Model 3 Long Range RWD
2017 Chevy Bolt EV Premier Kinetic Blue
Blog: http://drivingelectric.blogspot.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

sparky
Posts: 723
Joined: Fri Apr 23, 2010 10:55 am
Delivery Date: 08 Jan 2011
Location: SoCal

Re: Anyone into electric cycling?

Thu Oct 04, 2012 7:59 pm

Hey Boomer,

I've been riding a BionX-Mountain Bike since 2008.
In fact I have a PL-350 rear wheel motor for sale on eBay right now.

I bought my first setup from the Laguna Beach shop you mentioned.
I love the BionX, I am on my 3rd setup. The battery pack lost a cell or two on my first unit. When that happens it just quits.
I believe the battery is the weak link on the BionX, and not cheap. My 2nd pack started to get weak so I outfitted it with A123 cells, which worked fine; until my bike was stolen. I got about 3000 mi on the first pack, which is about 300 cycles of 60% DoD. I thought that was poor lifetime for these LiMn cells. The BionX guy (at another bike shop) thought that was exceptionally good.

My 3rd pack and setup seems strong still; about 2k miles and counting. I bought it used though. I often ride to work when I can go in at off-peak hours. It's nice because I can ride in without breaking a sweat, but on my way home I can get a workout. I also like the regen since it saves wear on the brakes and reduces the DoD of the pack for my ride.
Be safe and enjoy! I've had many close calls with stupid drivers and they always win in a head to head contest.

User avatar
Boomer23
Posts: 3550
Joined: Sun May 23, 2010 9:57 pm
Delivery Date: 30 Mar 2011
Location: Orange County, CA

Re: Anyone into electric cycling?

Thu Oct 04, 2012 8:12 pm

sparky wrote:Hey Boomer,

I've been riding a BionX-Mountain Bike since 2008.
In fact I have a PL-350 rear wheel motor for sale on eBay right now.

I bought my first setup from the Laguna Beach shop you mentioned.
I love the BionX, I am on my 3rd setup. The battery pack lost a cell or two on my first unit. When that happens it just quits.
I believe the battery is the weak link on the BionX, and not cheap. My 2nd pack started to get weak so I outfitted it with A123 cells, which worked fine; until my bike was stolen. I got about 3000 mi on the first pack, which is about 300 cycles of 60% DoD. I thought that was poor lifetime for these LiMn cells. The BionX guy (at another bike shop) thought that was exceptionally good.

My 3rd pack and setup seems strong still; about 2k miles and counting. I bought it used though. I often ride to work when I can go in at off-peak hours. It's nice because I can ride in without breaking a sweat, but on my way home I can get a workout. I also like the regen since it saves wear on the brakes and reduces the DoD of the pack for my ride.
Be safe and enjoy! I've had many close calls with stupid drivers and they always win in a head to head contest.


Thanks, Sparky. We have some great off-road paved trails here in the OC and I'm usually off road or on lightly used roads like Bayside Drive, a one-way, low speed road along Newport's Back Bay.

You're right about battery replacement costs being high. I think that the pack in the 48V unit I'm getting is $900 for about 0.4 kWh (8.8 Ah). Try scaling that up for a LEAF pack replacement. Ouch! I assume that replacing the cells in your bad pack was complex to do, right?
2018 Tesla Model 3 Long Range RWD
2017 Chevy Bolt EV Premier Kinetic Blue
Blog: http://drivingelectric.blogspot.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

User avatar
ampitupco
Posts: 177
Joined: Thu Jun 10, 2010 1:58 pm
Delivery Date: 11 Jan 2012
Leaf Number: 17235
Location: Arvada, CO
Contact: Website

Re: Anyone into electric cycling?

Thu Oct 04, 2012 10:13 pm

This is what I've been looking into, after seeing a demo at the Denver National PlugIn Day event:

http://www.ridekick.com/

I can still keep my bike(s) and use the trailer when I want.
ampitupco
2015 LEAF SV
2012 LEAF SL: 33000 miles 229 GID / 55.7Ahr (10/2015) [SOLD]
LEAF Energy iOS app
Nissan LEAFs For Sale
Denver LEAF Owners

User avatar
Boomer23
Posts: 3550
Joined: Sun May 23, 2010 9:57 pm
Delivery Date: 30 Mar 2011
Location: Orange County, CA

Re: Anyone into electric cycling?

Thu Oct 04, 2012 10:20 pm

ampitupco wrote:This is what I've been looking into, after seeing a demo at the Denver National PlugIn Day event:

http://www.ridekick.com/

I can still keep my bike(s) and use the trailer when I want.


What is really cool is the variety and inventiveness of all of the choices of electrified cycling that have been mentioned in just three pages of this thread. Invention and entrepreneurship are alive and well!
2018 Tesla Model 3 Long Range RWD
2017 Chevy Bolt EV Premier Kinetic Blue
Blog: http://drivingelectric.blogspot.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

sparky
Posts: 723
Joined: Fri Apr 23, 2010 10:55 am
Delivery Date: 08 Jan 2011
Location: SoCal

Re: Anyone into electric cycling?

Fri Oct 05, 2012 6:19 am

Boomer23 wrote:You're right about battery replacement costs being high. I think that the pack in the 48V unit I'm getting is $900 for about 0.4 kWh (8.8 Ah). Try scaling that up for a LEAF pack replacement. Ouch! I assume that replacing the cells in your bad pack was complex to do, right?
Not too complex. If I had used the same chemistry cells, replacing would have been a cinch. Since the A123 cells have a different voltage profile, I changed the series/parallel configuration. I wanted to learn a bit about Li packs and just used this as an excuse to mess around.
I also learned a bit about ordering cells, pre-welded, from Hong Kong suppliers on eBay. Anyway, it was fun and educational.
I hope you get a lot of use out of your BionX e-bike. They're still the slickest design out there IMO. With 48V, the accel should elicit a nice EV grin, something you're already familiar with!

GRA
Posts: 10465
Joined: Mon Sep 19, 2011 1:49 pm
Location: East side of San Francisco Bay

Re: Anyone into electric cycling?

Fri Oct 05, 2012 3:07 pm

There are a couple of nice articles and 4 e-bike reviews in the October issue of Bicycling magazine:

http://www.bicycling.com/bikes-gear/bik ... hing-maybe
Guy [I have lots of experience designing/selling off-grid AE systems, some using EVs but don't own one. Local trips are by foot, bike and/or rapid transit].

The 'best' is the enemy of 'good enough'. Copper shot, not Silver bullets.

asinclair
Posts: 76
Joined: Tue Jan 18, 2011 1:00 pm
Delivery Date: 05 Feb 2011
Leaf Number: 000302
Location: Novato and San Francisco, California

Re: Anyone into electric cycling?

Fri Oct 05, 2012 3:39 pm

There is a local manufacturer her in Marin making a very cool e-bike: [url][/url]http://picycle.com/[url][/url]

I test rode one at an EV-event and it was fun, can't say how it works in the 'real world' however...
Leaf SOLD 2/2015, now driving Mercedes B Class
Cayenne Red 2011 Leaf SV, no QC, purchased
As of 2/5/2015: [66,000 miles] [10 bars]
Tires replaced at 30,000 miles with Michelin MXV4's (much better handling, slight reduction in range)

User avatar
Boomer23
Posts: 3550
Joined: Sun May 23, 2010 9:57 pm
Delivery Date: 30 Mar 2011
Location: Orange County, CA

Re: Anyone into electric cycling?

Fri Oct 05, 2012 8:12 pm

asinclair wrote:There is a local manufacturer her in Marin making a very cool e-bike: http://picycle.com

I test rode one at an EV-event and it was fun, can't say how it works in the 'real world' however...


That picycle looks very cool, but a little too odd for me. I like that they're using smart phones for instrumentation.
2018 Tesla Model 3 Long Range RWD
2017 Chevy Bolt EV Premier Kinetic Blue
Blog: http://drivingelectric.blogspot.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

User avatar
Boomer23
Posts: 3550
Joined: Sun May 23, 2010 9:57 pm
Delivery Date: 30 Mar 2011
Location: Orange County, CA

Re: Anyone into electric cycling?

Fri Oct 05, 2012 8:21 pm

GRA wrote:There are a couple of nice articles and 4 e-bike reviews in the October issue of Bicycling magazine:

http://www.bicycling.com/bikes-gear/bik ... hing-maybe


Nice site, Guy, thanks.
2018 Tesla Model 3 Long Range RWD
2017 Chevy Bolt EV Premier Kinetic Blue
Blog: http://drivingelectric.blogspot.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Return to “Off-Topic”