LeftieBiker
Delivery Date: 31 May 2013

Re: Anyone into electric cycling?

Mon Mar 19, 2018 4:41 pm

At 250 watts that had better be a mid drive motor that uses the bike's gearing. A hub motor or even a separate EZIP-type drive wouldn't be much good on hills with that output...
Scarlet Ember 2018 Leaf SL W/ Pro Pilot
2009 Vectrix VX-1 W/18 Leaf modules, & 3 EZIP E-bicycles.
PLEASE don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

GRA

Mon Mar 19, 2018 5:01 pm

LeftieBiker wrote:At 250 watts that had better be a mid drive motor that uses the bike's gearing. A hub motor or even a separate EZIP-type drive wouldn't be much good on hills with that output...

The photo appears to show mid-drive, and I found a press release which says:
A high level of ride comfort is made possible thanks to the 250-watt centrally-mounted motor.
https://www.continental-corporation.com/en/press/press-releases/three-wheeled-e-cargo-bikes-124352
Guy [I have lots of experience designing/selling off-grid AE systems, some using EVs but don't own one. Local trips are by foot, bike and/or rapid transit].

The 'best' is the enemy of 'good enough'. Copper shot, not Silver bullets.

LeftieBiker

Mon Mar 19, 2018 10:25 pm

There is also the lesser-known fact that motors rated for the EU at 250 watts will often have a 500 watt (or even higher) maximum rating for short bursts.
PLEASE don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

LeftieBiker

Mon Jul 02, 2018 4:14 pm

I'm waiting this evening for my first new, up to date bike in many years to be delivered. If it isn't damaged in shipping and I don't have to refuse delivery, tomorrow night I'll be riding a Magnum Metro.

https://www.magnumbikes.com/product/magnum-metro/

I think I need a step-thru now, but this bike should have enough power (500 watt geared hub motor with 750 watt surge) and speed (about 25MPH in pedal assist mode) to satisfy my needs. Having disk brakes (and hydraulic at that!) will be a first for me. I can't recommend the company at this point, though, as I had trouble getting a refund for a $1000 kit I ordered that was listed as "In Stock" but wasn't. I bought the bike from another dealer. The controls aren't especially to my liking, but it seems that ALL of the E-Bikes have stopped using the right side twist throttle, left side twist shifter I have on my EZIP bikes. I'll see what I can do with them. I'm getting free professional assembly from Velofix.

Return to “Off-Topic”