GRA

Re: Anyone into electric cycling?

Sat Oct 06, 2012 2:04 pm

Nubo wrote:I've cycled most of my life. I fear that an electric bike would be the beginning of the end. Personally I need the bike as a means to measure myself against the world. That is the best thing about riding and I don't want to give that up, ever. If I begin dottering, sit me on a trike or quadricycle with super-low gears and let me grind away at a snail's pace if that's what it takes to get me outside moving under my own, and only my own, power.

Same here, and I feel the same way about hiking/mountaineering/X-C skiing. Personally, I hope someday to be able to emulate these guys:

http://abcnews.go.com/International/wir ... HCbhFI8qcw

http://www.guinnessworldrecords.com/wor ... %28male%29

That being said, if I had killer hills to ride every day on my commute, and it was a choice of giving up a bike and switching to a car or going with an e-bike, I'd opt for the bike. I'm still outside and doing at least some of the work.
Guy [I have lots of experience designing/selling off-grid AE systems, some using EVs but don't own one. Local trips are by foot, bike and/or rapid transit].

The 'best' is the enemy of 'good enough'. Copper shot, not Silver bullets.

Volusiano
Delivery Date: 03 Jun 2011

Sat Oct 06, 2012 3:28 pm

I received a response from the Picycle people. Below is their response:

"Hello

We no longer offer anything under $5,995. The battery technology and other components have been significantly upgraded since that YouTube video was produced.

Thank you
Marcus"

So apparently it's not $2500 anymore. It's $5,995 according to their website.

copdoc
Delivery Date: 17 Jan 2012
Leaf Number: 16587

Thu Oct 11, 2012 4:41 am

Or you could look at this one:
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/10/11/techn ... ss&emc=rss

which seems to be half car and half bike. Though for that amount of money, you'd be better to get a Leaf!
reserved 6/2/2010, cancelled reservation 9/15/2011
ordered 12/16/2011, purchased 12/27/12, delivery 1/17/12

sparky
Delivery Date: 08 Jan 2011

Fri Oct 12, 2012 5:06 pm

Yeah, I have a deposit on one of these.
Kind of my emotional response to the Aptera debacle.
May never happen but it's the pinnacle of nerd-cycling, way beyond a Segway.

ahagge
Delivery Date: 02 Jul 2011
Leaf Number: 5175

Fri Oct 12, 2012 6:19 pm

I've had a Hill Topper kit in the back of my mind for a few years now. I live up a 1.5 mile 400' hill that makes it kind of a pain to ride back up after a 20 mile (road) ride. Because I needed the exercise, my first solution was to get a lower-geared road bike, so I picked up on with a SRAM Apex setup. It got me the lighter weight and gearing that I need to make it back up, at least for now.

But I'm still thinking about mounting the Hill Topper on my '80s-vintage 10-speed just so I can breeze back up the hill even on an older, heavier bike.
Ocean Blue SL-e
Per LEAF Spy as of 06/26/18: 11 bars, 222 GIDs, 53.4 AHr on new (04/30/15) Lizard battery (1st bar lost 12/22/17)
Orig. battery lost 4th bar at 177 GIDs, 43.19 AHr, 44.74 Hx, 65% SOH after 45 months

AndyH

Fri Oct 12, 2012 9:30 pm

GRA wrote:
Nubo wrote:I've cycled most of my life. I fear that an electric bike would be the beginning of the end. Personally I need the bike as a means to measure myself against the world. That is the best thing about riding and I don't want to give that up, ever. If I begin dottering, sit me on a trike or quadricycle with super-low gears and let me grind away at a snail's pace if that's what it takes to get me outside moving under my own, and only my own, power.

Same here, and I feel the same way about hiking/mountaineering/X-C skiing. Personally, I hope someday to be able to emulate these guys:...

I definitely hear what both of you are saying. This 49 year old will trade you my damaged feet and knees for a time - I think you'll learn to appreciate the new-found freedom provided by the electric assist fairly quickly. ;)

I hope you both are able to continue to ride until you decide to leave the planet. ;)
"The stupid become extinct."-Bill Mollison
2018 Outlander PHEV
2015 smart Electric Drive (lease ended Feb, 2018)
OpenEVSE Plus DIY

Boomer23
Delivery Date: 30 Mar 2011

Fri Oct 12, 2012 11:37 pm

I just wanted to report on how much fun, and yes, exercise, I've had in the last week on my new electric bike.

I rode the new bike four times in the first four days. On two consecutive mornings, I completed a local 10 mile loop trail that involves a 250 foot elevation gain, a really enjoyable and scenic trail that I'd only done once before and in my current state of fitness, wouldn't have considered even trying. On these two mornings this week, I did the loop in 42 minutes each time and really enjoyed myself. I pedaled the whole way each trip, I got the full benefit of the fresh air and scenery, but instead of being exhausted and needing to re-hydrate and take a nap, riding the electric bike, I was able to take a quick shower and get on with a full day of other activities.

After riding rarely in the last few years, I am now excited about getting out on the bike. I expect to ride at least three times a week when weather permits and I expect to be able to re-connect with cycling friends with whom I've lately had trouble keeping up. I'll let you know if I get any blowback from folks who think that I'm cheating by using electric assist. ;) At this point, obviously, I'm having a blast.
2018 Tesla Model 3 Long Range RWD
2017 Chevy Bolt EV Premier Kinetic Blue
Blog: http://drivingelectric.blogspot.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

GRA

Sat Oct 13, 2012 2:35 pm

Boomer23 wrote:I just wanted to report on how much fun, and yes, exercise, I've had in the last week on my new electric bike.

I rode the new bike four times in the first four days. On two consecutive mornings, I completed a local 10 mile loop trail that involves a 250 foot elevation gain, a really enjoyable and scenic trail that I'd only done once before and in my current state of fitness, wouldn't have considered even trying. On these two mornings this week, I did the loop in 42 minutes each time and really enjoyed myself. I pedaled the whole way each trip, I got the full benefit of the fresh air and scenery, but instead of being exhausted and needing to re-hydrate and take a nap, riding the electric bike, I was able to take a quick shower and get on with a full day of other activities.

After riding rarely in the last few years, I am now excited about getting out on the bike. I expect to ride at least three times a week when weather permits and I expect to be able to re-connect with cycling friends with whom I've lately had trouble keeping up. I'll let you know if I get any blowback from folks who think that I'm cheating by using electric assist. ;) At this point, obviously, I'm having a blast.

Good for you!
Guy [I have lots of experience designing/selling off-grid AE systems, some using EVs but don't own one. Local trips are by foot, bike and/or rapid transit].

GRA

Sat Oct 13, 2012 2:45 pm

AndyH wrote:
GRA wrote:

Same here, and I feel the same way about hiking/mountaineering/X-C skiing. Personally, I hope someday to be able to emulate these guys:...

I definitely hear what both of you are saying. This 49 year old will trade you my damaged feet and knees for a time - I think you'll learn to appreciate the new-found freedom provided by the electric assist fairly quickly. ;)

I hope you both are able to continue to ride until you decide to leave the planet. ;)

I've got a few years on you, and will swap you my bad hip, back, and shoulder for your feet and knees :lol: Oh, and my hearing, although that doesn't restrict my exercise. I intend to age as gracefully as possible and stay as physically active as I can, only giving up sports as I become unable to do them anymore. Contact sports went first 20+ years ago, then tennis and :cry: volleyball (see shoulder), running (back), rock climbing (back) and my hip is shortening my hiking/backpacking/skiing trips. But as long as I can get out of bed and don't run out of vitamin 'I'*, I'll be out there.

*Ibuprofen, aka 'climber's candy'.

AndyH

Sun Oct 14, 2012 12:25 pm

GRA wrote:... *Ibuprofen, aka 'climber's candy'.

Yeah, we call 600mg Ibuprofen "Air Force Candy" as well.

After 21 years of military abuse, riding without assist is no longer an option if I want to function for two days after. Just walking around a college campus last year required hitting the Motrin before leaving the house and limping around between classes. I do miss running and riding, but when it comes to my (non)desire to keep up with spandex-clad 20-somethings or running around with my 10 year old, quality time with my son wins every time.

Enjoy the ride - with our without a battery pack! :lol:
"The stupid become extinct."-Bill Mollison
2018 Outlander PHEV
2015 smart Electric Drive (lease ended Feb, 2018)
OpenEVSE Plus DIY

Return to “Off-Topic”