am I over thinking an ev bumper sticker.

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

supra410

I want to make a window sticker that reads "I burn kilowatts." Now I know that eclectricity is measured in kw. I guess in translation it would almost be like saying "i burn gallons". for an ice vehicle. lol Anyhow, will this be correct? I guess a better word would be electrons. What do you guys think? Will this work, or make me look like a bumbling fool? I'm getting tired of fielding "how many mpg" questions everyday.

stickerhub-7531-1367092496_zps8d27c139.png

kyleaf.jpg

We just went with 100% electric, as the Volt and Prius are part gas part electric. What would be neat is having a PA speaker that plays "It's electric" at every stoplight. It could replace the "going slow" sound.

Technically, as a unit of energy, kWh is just as accurate as joules, calories, or even BTUs. I think I know where you are going here, though, and IMO the best equivalent to gasoline in the Leaf is Lithium since, during discharge, this is the source of the electrons inside the battery (although electrons are not a unit of energy). However, without the Manganese Dioxide cathode to accept those electrons, you wouldn't have any current flow either. There just isn't a good equivalent to burning a gallon of gas. Perhaps "I redox LMO" is an accurate substitute for "I burn gasoline" - referring to the reduction-oxidation reaction occurring in the battery between the Lithium and Manganese dioxide. But this would be lost on most. "No Gas" is probably much clearer.

Sure it would work. I like the picture of the plug and outlet especially. A picture is worth a kiloword.

You could even call it a cordless car.

Burn is often slang, as in, "We've got hours to burn." Money to burn.

Your target audience will relate.

How about one that says: "I get m/kWh"? But they may not relate to that. Seems many don't know what kWh means.

Anyway, it's nice, go for it.

kentuckyleaf said:
kyleaf.jpg

We just went with 100% electric, as the Volt and Prius are part gas part electric. What would be neat is having a PA speaker that plays "It's electric" at every stoplight. It could replace the "going slow" sound.

Love your graphic! Want a sticker with that image that says, "Cordless Car"

And the Jetson's car sound.

supra410 said:
I want to make a window sticker that reads "I burn kilowatts." ...
Brainstorming on bumper stickers:
1 Non Smoker Car
2 Powered by electrons
3 Help clean the air and drive EV
4 EV = clean air
5 EV = healthy air
6 Ditched the tail pipe
I think "burn" has a negative connotation. Burning usually has unhealthy by-products.

For many of us here the best description is "Sunpowered". Although I suppose that's too subtle for the average driver of the other cars on the road.

"100% Electric", perhaps with a plug graphic, would be easier for most people to understand. That is the goal, right?

dgpcolorado said:
For many of us here the best description is "Sunpowered". Although I suppose that's too subtle for the average driver of the other cars on the road.

"100% Electric", perhaps with a plug graphic, would be easier for most people to understand. That is the goal, right?
The goal is to gloat :)

haha, enjoying all of the clever ideas. I am using burn very loosly as slang. You have to remember I live in Oklahoma. Not saying okies are slower than the other 49. Just trying to make it very simple where the average 10 yr old would understand. The majority of people here are not aware of what a leaf is. A volt & prius yes, but the Leaf has a very poor following in my state. I'm not really wanting to dumb it down. More or less make people aware of what zero emmissions really means. I was at the dealership the other day bumming some juice & found it very amusing the number of salesmen surprised their evse was being used. Oklahoma has some very "eco considerate" people, but it's a tough sale when people hear of the range. People tend to not think outside the box and embrace the Leafs usefullness. My state is one of the top producers of Nat gas and crude oil, so electric vehicles are not priority here. The public charging options are very limited. Most of our electricity is coal fired, probably why I enjoy 6 cents per kwh. I would love to do solar panels as I'm in a rual area, but the yearly severe hail storms deter me. Considered a whisper wind generator or similar as wind is plentiful at my house. Just can't quite bring myself to have one towering over my property.

I considered a sticker that read 1.21 gigawatts, but unless you were engulfed in the 80's the translation would be lost.

Simple is best when communicating to a gas-using population. You're really trying to say your car is totally electric and does not use gas, so a sticker with the outlet picture with any variable of the "no gas" verbiage could work. Of course there's "I'm 100% electric," but it falls short for the audience:

"I'm a no-gas EV."
"I'm totally electric; I don't use gas."
"Totally electric & gas-free."
"All electric, no gas."
"Completely electric, gas-free."
etc., etc.,...

I continue to have discussions where I've responded "electric" repeatedly and the gas questions keep coming (they're probably thinking "hybrid," it's all they know here). The point just doesn't get across, unless I say the actual words, "no gas."

Last week, I showed my car to an old friend and said it was a totally electric Nissan LEAF. I popped the charge port cover and opened the L2 port lid to show where I plug in, explaining our lack of fast charging infrastructure for using the QC charging port. She apparently wasn't listening, because she immediately asked if that port was "for when I needed gas" :roll:, to which I responded, "it uses no gas, it's all electric." Then the light went on! I seems people need those key words to hear the message.

Back