RonDawg
Posts: 2686
Joined: Sat Jan 12, 2013 3:46 am
Delivery Date: 11 Jan 2013
Leaf Number: 027089
Location: SoCal

Re: Today I drove my ICE Car, Do you still use your ICE car?

Sat Jan 31, 2015 3:46 pm

RonDawg wrote:I try to use my Audi at least once a month. Since I got my Leaf in January, I've taken it on 3 trips that were beyond the Leaf's range.


In 2014, I put a grand total of.....

2,000 miles on the Audi.
Blue Ocean 2012 Leaf SV, lost that 1st bar on 11/21/2015 at 26,435 miles.
Lease returned on 12/23/2015. Final LeafStat figures: 225 Gids, 17.44 kWH, SOC 91.89%, SOH 82.36%, 69.49% HX, 54.57 Ahr, battery temp 61.8 F
Now driving a 2015 VW eGolf SEL

mbender
Posts: 824
Joined: Sun Apr 21, 2013 8:11 am
Delivery Date: 31 Aug 2014
Leaf Number: 309606
Location: The Great California Delta, and environs

Re: Today I drove my ICE Car, Do you still use your ICE car?

Sat Jan 31, 2015 3:55 pm

Boating should all go electric, too (eventually). Can't wait until it does...

Love my LEAF, too, and hope I never have to drive an ICE again!!
(It's totally changed my one major regret about living in the exurbs.)
I think I just felt my paradigm shift.

2012 SL (One of the colors): 2-year lease, 2012+,
2015 S w/QC (A different color): 3-year lease, 2014+,
2017 SV (Same color as 2015 S): 3-year lease, 2017+, lower monthly than either above(!)

User avatar
TomT
Posts: 10564
Joined: Sun Aug 08, 2010 12:09 pm
Delivery Date: 01 Mar 2011
Leaf Number: 000360
Location: Foothills of Granada Hills, CA
Contact: Website

Re: Today I drove my ICE Car, Do you still use your ICE car?

Sat Jan 31, 2015 7:33 pm

It is not going to happen in the foreseeable future except for slow and/or limited range harbor cruisers like the duffy, and small outboards... My boat has two 300 HP diesels which typically run at about 60% power... Can you imagine the size and weight of the pack to get any suitable range! Novamarine made an electric ski boat but it was very limited purpose and had a short run time.

mbender wrote:Boating should all go electric, too (eventually). Can't wait until it does...
59,991 miles/12 bars/289 Gids/68.54 AHr/101% SOH/101.64% Hx 7May15 w/ new Lizard (barely made the warranty).
71,770 miles/12 bars/256 Gids/59.04 AHr/88% SOH/87.92% Hx 3Mar16 at lease return.

Now driving a 2016 Volt Premier. Model 3 reserved.

Zythryn
Posts: 941
Joined: Fri Jun 04, 2010 4:49 am

Re: Today I drove my ICE Car, Do you still use your ICE car?

Sat Jan 31, 2015 8:15 pm

mbender wrote:...
Love my LEAF, too, and hope I never have to drive an ICE again!!
(It's totally changed my one major regret about living in the exurbs.)


One of the reasons we got our Leaf is that we are moving from the outer ring suburbs to a first ring suburb.
We calculate our average trip distance will go from 5o miles to 25 miles:)
Previous owner of Prius, Volt & Leaf
Current owner of Model S
http://www.netzeromn.com

johnrhansen
Posts: 1100
Joined: Mon Aug 12, 2013 7:23 pm
Delivery Date: 15 Jun 2013
Leaf Number: 409445
Location: Seattle, WA

Re: Today I drove my ICE Car, Do you still use your ICE car?

Sat Jan 31, 2015 9:09 pm

I sold my truck last year. Now I have only the leaf. Last week I took a 240 mile round trip adventure along the west coast electric highway in my leaf. Because it was the only car I had. The entire trip was 12 hours, and the battery was at 8 temp bars when I got home. Lots of waiting around for the car to charge. Even with DC fast charging there still is a wait. Plus other people at the chargers... I told myself, no more. Next weekend I am headed for Spokane, Which is a 600 mile round trip. This time for $60, I'm renting a Nissan Altima for 3 days. My time spent on the road will be less than it took me on my trip last weekend. I took my leaf to Spokane before, it was a 12 hour trip each way. ICE car, 4 hours. The Leaf is a great car, but not for everything like an ICE car is. Sometimes it is NOT the right tool for the job. It is an around town commuter car. That's it.
2013 S model with quick charge package.
AV 30 amp level 2 EVSE, Bosch PowerMax 30 Amp EVSE, EVSE upgraded EVSE.

mbender
Posts: 824
Joined: Sun Apr 21, 2013 8:11 am
Delivery Date: 31 Aug 2014
Leaf Number: 309606
Location: The Great California Delta, and environs

Re: Today I drove my ICE Car, Do you still use your ICE car?

Sun Feb 01, 2015 12:38 am

TomT wrote:It is not going to happen in the foreseeable future except for slow and/or limited range harbor cruisers like the duffy, and small outboards... My boat has two 300 HP diesels which typically run at about 60% power... Can you imagine the size and weight of the pack to get any suitable range! Novamarine made an electric ski boat but it was very limited purpose and had a short run time.

mbender wrote:Boating should all go electric, too (eventually). Can't wait until it does...
Well the good thing about boats is that weight isn't nearly as much of an issue, and there is plenty of room below. (3) Don't submarines use a lot of batteries? (4) Isn't the P85D almost 700 hp? (5) Is 15 years foreseeable? 20, 25?

Just curious and a bit off-topic, but have you thought of or tried using 100% biodiesel? Short of everything ICE going electric, I'm hoping for a novel, sustainable and scalable way of producing biodiesel to appear, and for all ICEs to go to diesel.
I think I just felt my paradigm shift.

2012 SL (One of the colors): 2-year lease, 2012+,
2015 S w/QC (A different color): 3-year lease, 2014+,
2017 SV (Same color as 2015 S): 3-year lease, 2017+, lower monthly than either above(!)

LeftieBiker
Posts: 6953
Joined: Wed May 22, 2013 3:17 am
Delivery Date: 31 May 2013
Location: Upstate New York, US

Re: Today I drove my ICE Car, Do you still use your ICE car?

Sun Feb 01, 2015 1:22 am

I have to drive about 46 miles RT on Tuesday, to a medical appointment. The forecast is for a high temp of 14F. This time I think I'm going to drive my friend's PIP, rather than ration heat.
2013 "Brilliant Silver" SV with Premium Package and no QC, and 2009 Vectrix VX-1 with 18 Leaf cells.

The most offensive, tasteless phrase in use here is "Pulled the trigger." I no longer respond to posts that use it.

jpadc
Posts: 269
Joined: Sat Dec 13, 2014 7:25 am
Delivery Date: 20 Dec 2014
Location: Indiana & Wisconsin

Re: Today I drove my ICE Car, Do you still use your ICE car?

Sun Feb 01, 2015 2:21 am

mbender wrote:Well the good thing about boats is that weight isn't nearly as much of an issue, and there is plenty of room below. (3) Don't submarines use a lot of batteries? (4) Isn't the P85D almost 700 hp? (5) Is 15 years foreseeable? 20, 25?

Well the bad thing about boats is that they never coast. The water is a constant drag which is why boats don't need brakes. They need as much power to stay up to speed as to get there. So I see them going all electric just as soon as we have mini nuclear power plants for them. Is that 25 years out? :D
2013 Leaf S /w Charge Package - Purchased new in Iowa City Dec. 2014
My previous car was a 2008 Prius Touring Package 5 - 73k Miles, 43 MPG lifetime

johnrhansen
Posts: 1100
Joined: Mon Aug 12, 2013 7:23 pm
Delivery Date: 15 Jun 2013
Leaf Number: 409445
Location: Seattle, WA

Re: Today I drove my ICE Car, Do you still use your ICE car?

Sun Feb 01, 2015 6:32 am

I've heard nuclear fusion is the power of the future. And always will be.
2013 S model with quick charge package.
AV 30 amp level 2 EVSE, Bosch PowerMax 30 Amp EVSE, EVSE upgraded EVSE.

bigrob90
Gold Member
Posts: 182
Joined: Fri Oct 31, 2014 3:41 pm
Delivery Date: 31 Oct 2014
Leaf Number: 316941
Location: Atlanta, GA
Contact: Website

Re: Today I drove my ICE Car, Do you still use your ICE car?

Sun Feb 01, 2015 9:30 am

jpadc wrote:
mbender wrote:Well the good thing about boats is that weight isn't nearly as much of an issue, and there is plenty of room below. (3) Don't submarines use a lot of batteries? (4) Isn't the P85D almost 700 hp? (5) Is 15 years foreseeable? 20, 25?

Well the bad thing about boats is that they never coast. The water is a constant drag which is why boats don't need brakes. They need as much power to stay up to speed as to get there. So I see them going all electric just as soon as we have mini nuclear power plants for them. Is that 25 years out? :D

Maybe that technique for laser etching metal to make it hydrophobic will make boats a lot more efficient?

http://sploid.gizmodo.com/new-amazing-m ... 1680799039
Cayenne Red 2015 Leaf S w/QC
2 year, 15k lease

Return to “Off-Topic”