Stoaty
Gold Member
Delivery Date: 12 Jun 2011
Leaf Number: 3871

InsideEVs Calls EVSE a "Charger"

Thu Jan 02, 2014 1:04 pm

http://insideevs.com/two-federal-ev-inc ... torcycles/

When I put in a comment suggesting "charging station" or EVSE would be the correct term, several negative comments were posted in response (negative, but not accurate :o ). Is it too much to expect that a web site devoted to EVs would use the correct terminology?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charging_station
Last edited by Stoaty on Fri Jan 03, 2014 6:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lifetime 5.5 m/kWh (Dash) over 57,200 miles / 67 months
Capacity Loss Predicted - 27.4% Actual - 30.1%
Leaf Spy Manual
Battery Aging Model Spreadsheet

GIBBER
Delivery Date: 08 Sep 2013
Leaf Number: 409884

Re: Insideevs Calls EVSE a "Charger"

Thu Jan 02, 2014 1:57 pm

I agree with you 100%
"You must unlearn what you have learned" -Yoda
200 Km Club

GeekEV
Delivery Date: 15 Feb 2011
Leaf Number: 0308

Thu Jan 02, 2014 2:29 pm

I've had the difference drummed into me on this forum for years. I've come to the opinion that asking the general public to understand the difference is too much and risks turning them off. I plug in to it to charge my car, so it's a charger. If an EV related web site wants to use an incorrect term to make the article more accessible to laypeople, I'm fine with it (although using charging station would also be fine and shouldn't be hard for them). Can't we please just give up the high-horse techno-babble debate and accept the term "charger"? We all know what they mean when they say it.

2014 Chevy Spark EV 2LT
2013 Tesla Model S 60kWh[/url]
AV L2 EVSE + kWh meter
9.4kW Solar Array + enphase energy

GIBBER
Delivery Date: 08 Sep 2013
Leaf Number: 409884

Thu Jan 02, 2014 2:48 pm

GeekEV wrote: Can't we please just give up the high-horse techno-babble debate and accept the term "charger"?

No. It is simple grade school terminology. There is nothing about those terms that is "high-horse techno-babble" I refuse to take part in the dumbing down of this nation.
"You must unlearn what you have learned" -Yoda
200 Km Club

Stoaty
Gold Member

Thu Jan 02, 2014 4:07 pm

GeekEV wrote:If an EV related web site wants to use an incorrect term to make the article more accessible to laypeople, I'm fine with it

Yes, but it would be just as easy to use the correct term, "charging station" which is an accurate description. That would be just as accessible to the lay person.
Leaf Spy Manual

adric22
Delivery Date: 05 Apr 2011
Leaf Number: 000768

Thu Jan 02, 2014 4:43 pm

I think using the term "charger" is fine. To 99% of the people out there, they will not know what an EVSE is. Its the same with cell phones and laptops. People refer to the external box as a charger even though the actual charging circuitry is inside the phone/laptop.

It is especially confusing that it is considered correct to call something a "charging station" but not a charger.

And it gets even more confusing since a DC fast charger sits outside the car just like an L2 station but technically it IS a charger and is okay to call it that.

So to expect people to keep up with the exact terminology is ludicrous.
2013 Blue Nissan Leaf SV
2012 Summit White Chevy Volt

pkulak
Delivery Date: 18 Sep 2013

Thu Jan 02, 2014 4:48 pm

GIBBER wrote:
GeekEV wrote: Can't we please just give up the high-horse techno-babble debate and accept the term "charger"?

No. It is simple grade school terminology. There is nothing about those terms that is "high-horse techno-babble" I refuse to take part in the dumbing down of this nation.

I plug my phone into a charger. I plug my laptop into a charger. I plug everything into a "charger", but I plug my car into an EVSE? How about we call the EVSE the "charger" and the "charger" in the car the rectifier? Then we can say, "I have a 6.6KW rectifier in my car so I can use all of my new 30-amp charger." Awesomeness all around and we don't have to subject everyone else to horrible words like "EVSE".

reeler

Thu Jan 02, 2014 5:49 pm

I call it a charger as will every other person as EVs get broader adoption.

My car is charged when I plug in that cable so I call it a charger. You keep calling it an EVSE or better yet, a "J1772 handle for an EVSE."

You remind me of that annoying person always correcting your grammar. Get over it.
2016 Blue LEAF SV | 2017 Gray Bolt LT | 2016 Black Tesla S75D
10 Ways to Save on Tesla Model S or Model X: http://tesladiscountcoupon.com

z0ner
Delivery Date: 18 Apr 2011
Leaf Number: 0909

Thu Jan 02, 2014 6:22 pm

reeler wrote:You remind me of that annoying person always correcting your grammar. Get over it.

With statements like this, it's easy to tag who the most annoying is.

Call it whatever you'd like. I tell everyone it's a glorified extension cord and that the actual charger is in the car. If that's too much for some to handle, I don't rightly care. It's easy to understand and explain.

For the same reason, I don't tell folks who drive my car to "hit the gas pedal". I prefer to call a spade, a spade.

The times they are a changin'.

Stoaty
Gold Member

Thu Jan 02, 2014 6:30 pm

reeler wrote:You remind me of that annoying person always correcting your grammar. Get over it.

No need to make personal attacks, you can certainly "get over" that. I will point out that a number of threads on this site include a correction of the use of "charger" by posters (other than me), and an explanation of the difference between a charging station and a charger, including the fact that a charging station sometimes includes the charger (QC) and sometimes the charger is in the car. Makes a significant difference if you have to pay to repair or replace an L2 charging station or the charger itself.
Leaf Spy Manual

Return to “Off-Topic”