rmay635703

Re: InsideEVs Calls EVSE a "Charger"

Mon Jan 23, 2017 7:16 am

I always refer to it as an overpriced extension cord with a gfa.

In my mind EVSE should not exist for l1, total waste of money plugging a ground fault into another ground fault outlet.

desiv
Delivery Date: 04 Jan 2015
Leaf Number: 018850

Re: Insideevs Calls EVSE a "Charger"

Mon Jan 23, 2017 9:17 am

GeekEV wrote:If an EV related web site wants to use an incorrect term to make the article more accessible to laypeople, I'm fine with it .

Agree here..
I've heard the same type of argument from "drone" purists...

It's frequently a losing battle.. If trying to "win" means you alienate the same public you want to encourage to join the crowd, it's worth looking at that...

Just my $0.00000002

desiv
2012 SL - Silver

LeftieBiker
Delivery Date: 31 May 2013

Mon Jan 23, 2017 2:59 pm

It makes more sense to put real pressure on those who supposedly know better (like EV websites) than to pressure newbies about it. OTOH there is nothing wrong with gently steering newbies toward using accurate terminology. It's true that some people hate to be told that they are doing anything wrong, but human nature being what it is, giving in to them just drops the overall IQ of drivers.
2013 "Brilliant Silver" SV with Premium Package and no QC, and 2009 Vectrix VX-1 with 18 Leaf cells.

The most offensive, tasteless phrase in use here is "Pulled the trigger." I no longer respond to posts that use it.

smkettner
Delivery Date: 26 Feb 2014

Mon Jan 23, 2017 5:32 pm

Until someone comes up with a single word I will continue calling it a CHARGER

Getting the right charger for your car is just as hard as choosing the right octane at the gas pump.
EXCEPT A GAS PUMP DOES NOT HAVE ANY PUMP IN IT. But still the public gets on just fine. :lol: :roll:
1 bar lost at 21,451 miles, 16 months.
2 bar lost at 35,339 miles, 25 months.
LEAF traded at 45,400 miles for a RAV4-EV

IssacZachary
Forum Supporter
Delivery Date: 15 Nov 2016
Leaf Number: 420789

Mon Jan 23, 2017 10:01 pm

I wonder when and who made up the terminology. "Electric vehicle service equipment" sounds like something used to change the oil on an electric car. "Fancy extension cord" sounds good to me. Nissan calls the 240V one you install on your house a "charger" according to my owner's manual. It seems to be at least part of the charging system.
2013 SL, 40,000 miles, 12 bars.

LeftieBiker

Mon Jan 23, 2017 10:44 pm

I use "charging cable" or "charge cable." That is, of course, much too hard for those who communicate monosyllabically , but few people of moderate or better intelligence have trouble with it. Oh, wait: "charg-er" is two syllables...
2013 "Brilliant Silver" SV with Premium Package and no QC, and 2009 Vectrix VX-1 with 18 Leaf cells.

The most offensive, tasteless phrase in use here is "Pulled the trigger." I no longer respond to posts that use it.

DarthPuppy
Delivery Date: 11 Aug 2013

Tue Jan 24, 2017 12:22 am

Language changes over time. By the time EVs are mainstream, chargers will likely be the correct and widely accepted term for it even if the engineers want to call it something else. When someone goes to the doctor and says their finger is stuck up their nose, some might stop and think to say nostril to to be more accurate. If they say nose, it really doesn't help for the doctor to get offended and correct the person or to point out that apparently the truly correct term would be naris. (As I'm not a doctor I'm working off a Google search for this so don't get on me if I don't have that term right either).

Engineering terms of multiple words that get reduced to acronyms sometimes take off and gain general acceptance, e.g., RADAR. EV might make it but ideally simply car or auto will convey an EV eventually. EVSE is not as likely especially when for most people's use, charger will clearly get the idea across and is more natural. And that is the thing about language; it evolves over time based on how it is used in society. And from the looks of it thus far, charger is winning over EVSE or 'electric vehicle service equipment'. Seriously, who thought that 'electric vehicle service equipment' would work in the mainstream?

Different forums have different audiences. I would expect a medical journal to use more accurate terms like nostril or naris. I would expect an engineering forum to use EVSE. But for forums aimed at the broader consumer, which I believe InsideEVs and MyNissanLeaf to be, either is acceptable except for those times where the nature of the discussion really warrants the specificity. The above posts have a few examples of where that clarity is needed. But it seems to me that most of the time charger works just fine.

cwerdna
Gold Member
Delivery Date: 28 Jul 2013

Tue Jan 24, 2017 2:04 am

rmay635703 wrote:In my mind EVSE should not exist for l1, total waste of money plugging a ground fault into another ground fault outlet.

Sounds like you have a lack of understanding of the other functions of an EVSE.

Besides the problem of the plugs on both ends not being able to withstand a large # of cycles, there'd be the problem of the long cable being energized at all times and possible shock hazard if it's damaged while energized. And, you'd have arcing problems upon disconnect.

We've had some discussion about this before: viewtopic.php?f=27&t=21726 and viewtopic.php?t=4898.

'13 blue Leaf SV w/premium package (owned)
'13 blue Leaf SV w/QC + LED & premium packages (lease over, car returned)
'06 Prius

cwerdna
Gold Member
Delivery Date: 28 Jul 2013

Tue Jan 24, 2017 2:10 am

IssacZachary wrote:I wonder when and who made up the terminology. "Electric vehicle service equipment" sounds like something used to change the oil on an electric car. "Fancy extension cord" sounds good to me

I'm guessing the SAE.

http://standards.sae.org/j2293/2_199706/ is from 1997 and refers to EVSEs.

'13 blue Leaf SV w/premium package (owned)
'13 blue Leaf SV w/QC + LED & premium packages (lease over, car returned)
'06 Prius

LeftieBiker

Tue Jan 24, 2017 4:05 am

Lately I've been calling portable EVSEs "charging cables" and charging station type EVSEs "charging stations." This seems reasonable and rational to me, so as people increasingly start sentences with "So..." and "Being as," and the news media make fools of themselves trying to sound like telegrams from the brain-damaged, I'll be one of those (probably Cwerdna, too) trying to slow the "evolution" of language to a pace that doesn't turn it to gibberish in one generation.

Return to “Off-Topic”