redLEAF
Gold Member
Delivery Date: 23 Dec 2011

Re: What about electric mowers and outboards?

Fri Mar 06, 2015 1:12 pm

I've had an Earthwise 60120 24V cordless electric push mower since '09. We bought a spare battery for it when new (lead-acid) and alternate them and they're still going strong enough to mow between 1/4 and 1/3 acre lawn on a single charge but sometimes need 1 1/2. Towards the end of last mowing season (I'm in the Midwest), the lower handle broke on it and almost recycled the mower but was able to find a replacement for $20 including shipping so am all good for another season or so. I was hoping to see some newer battery tech besides the lead-acid as well as perhaps a decent self-propelled electric (despite most of the area being 'flat' out this way we do have a few hilly sections where it could help) but the tech has been a bit slow and perhaps too pricey for just mowing your grass; they are a few Li-Ion but slow to market.

I recently saw a cordless electric snowblower that has a 40V Lithium-Ion battery (Snow-Joe) that looked interesting ... once my 10+ year old Honda gas powered one dies this may be the one I try; just like with the cordless mower, probably would need to make sure the stuff wasn't too deep but otherwise appears to be of a similar size as my Honda is:

http://www.snowjoe.com/product/Snow-Joe-iON-Cordless-Snow-Blower-With-Rechargeable-Ecosharp-40-Volt-Lithium-Ion-Battery-iON18SB#.VPoHcOHG964

Perhaps we'll see some incentives on 'retiring' gas mowers as I'm sure everyone has seen and 'smelled' some way past their prime ... my snowblower is in a great state of tune but once its starts burning oil, etc. it will be replaced hopefully with a Li-Ion like this Snow-Joe
2015 VW e-Golf LE (CPO - 1.2K miles!)
Pacific Blue
2012 Nissan LEAF SL (traded-in at 5 yrs; 46K miles)
Cayenne Red
(Chicago 2018?) Tesla Model 3
reserved at Highland Park, IL 3/31/16
EVSE: 10/07/11 Schneider EVlink

WetEV
Delivery Date: 16 Feb 2014

Fri Mar 06, 2015 1:44 pm

redLEAF wrote:snowblower

What's a snowblower? :lol:
I've never seen one in Seattle.
WetEV
Most everything around here is wet during the rainy season. And the rainy season is long.
2012 Leaf SL Red (Totaled)
2014 Leaf SL Red

LeftieBiker
Delivery Date: 31 May 2013

Fri Mar 06, 2015 1:58 pm

Reviews of the Snow Joe, which I looked int last Fall, indicate that it is good for powdery snow only. I'd like to see people start to convert their gas snowblowers (I have a 20+ year old Murray) to corded/cordless units that use LiFePO batteries for wheel propulsion, and recharge them on the fly when stopped. The blower would be driven by 1800 watts from the cord.
2013 "Brilliant Silver" SV with Premium Package and no QC, and 2009 Vectrix VX-1 with 18 Leaf cells.

The most offensive, tasteless phrase in use here is "Pulled the trigger." I no longer respond to posts that use it.

OakLeaf
Delivery Date: 21 Nov 2012

Fri Mar 06, 2015 3:46 pm

Had an early model EM 4.1 from Neuton (Spring 2003). We used it happily for several years, although I was disappointed ultimately in it's durability (both battery and plastic frame).

Although this may not be what you're looking for, there was a series of electric lawn tractors made between 1969 and 1983 by GE, Wheel Horse and Avco New Idea. Often you can either restore or rebuild them as it's (usually) very simplistic switch, relay and contactor technology run by 36 VDC using 6V lead-acid golf cart batteries. In addition to the mower deck, they also made a variety of power attachments and tools such as roto-tillers, brooms and snowblowers.

We've been using an EGT-120 for several years now and it's amazing to see how durable these electrically driven mowers are. I can only hope our Leaf is around this long!

http://www.myelec-traks.com/index.html

GRA

Fri Mar 06, 2015 4:05 pm

redLEAF wrote:I've had an Earthwise 60120 24V cordless electric push mower since '09. We bought a spare battery for it when new (lead-acid) and alternate them and they're still going strong enough to mow between 1/4 and 1/3 acre lawn on a single charge but sometimes need 1 1/2. Towards the end of last mowing season (I'm in the Midwest), the lower handle broke on it and almost recycled the mower but was able to find a replacement for $20 including shipping so am all good for another season or so. I was hoping to see some newer battery tech besides the lead-acid as well as perhaps a decent self-propelled electric (despite most of the area being 'flat' out this way we do have a few hilly sections where it could help) but the tech has been a bit slow and perhaps too pricey for just mowing your grass; they are a few Li-Ion but slow to market.
<snip>
At the moment, electric riding lawnmowers remain pricey, albeit most aren't this pricey - https://electrek.files.wordpress.com/20 ... -39-44.jpg
Guy [I have lots of experience designing/selling off-grid AE systems, some using EVs but don't own one. Local trips are by foot, bike and/or rapid transit].

The 'best' is the enemy of 'good enough'. Copper shot, not Silver bullets.

Nubo
Delivery Date: 31 Oct 2014

Fri Mar 06, 2015 4:21 pm

redLEAF wrote:Perhaps we'll see some incentives on 'retiring' gas mowers as I'm sure everyone has seen and 'smelled' some way past their prime ... my snowblower is in a great state of tune but once its starts burning oil, etc. it will be replaced hopefully with a Li-Ion like this Snow-Joe

I wouldn't be surprised. The emissions from a mower are horrific.
I noticed you're still working with polymers.

LeftieBiker
Delivery Date: 31 May 2013

Fri Mar 06, 2015 5:59 pm

I've always used full synthetic oil in my snowblower, but even though I always run the carb dry, the first one gummed up, and I'd forgotten how terribly cold-blooded the factory carb is when new. They must have adjusted them for factory floor temps, before sealing the adjustment screw with slag. Anyway, it doesn't use any oil to speak of, it just smells terrible. I'd wait for the next gen Snow Joe, though, and even then I'd expect to replace the tiny lithium pack with a much larger one.

Oh, yeah: we also have a Black & Decker 1800 watt corded mini snowblower, and that works well in anything except extremely deep or wet snow. Pushing it can be a real workout, though. Still, if you can use a cord, it is much, much, much more powerful than the Snow Joe.
2013 "Brilliant Silver" SV with Premium Package and no QC, and 2009 Vectrix VX-1 with 18 Leaf cells.

The most offensive, tasteless phrase in use here is "Pulled the trigger." I no longer respond to posts that use it.

AndyH

Sat Mar 14, 2015 1:20 pm

I converted my Black and Decker CMM1000 cordless from lead-acid to LiFePO4 in May, 2009. The mower runs better, is easier to handle (from 30 lbs of sealed lead acid to 8 lbs of lithium), and so far this battery's lasted almost three times longer than either of the first two pairs of SLA. The first mowing of the 2015 season will happen this week and the mower's ready to go with only a blade sharpening and top-off charge.

I can also recommend the Ryobi brushless 40V chainsaw (RY40511). It kept up with a gas saw while processing a hickory tree knocked down by a storm. Each battery charge lasted a bit longer than 30 minutes of cutting time in this very hard wood, and two batteries gave me the same 'work/rest' time as the guy running the Stihl.
"The stupid become extinct."-Bill Mollison

2015 smart Electric Drive "The Bumblebee"
OpenEVSE Plus DIY

forummm
Delivery Date: 28 Jun 2014
Leaf Number: 336370

Sun Mar 15, 2015 5:10 am

I've used a corded electric mower for almost 4 years. It's great. I probably saved the cost of the mower in gas alone. It costs under 10 cents per month in electricity to use during growing season. Some of my less enlightened neighbors have offered to lend me their "real" mowers. My grass gets cut easily with my own mower--no idea why they can't see that.
150 Mile Club, 200 KM Club
2 Leaf (no ICE) Household

Return to “Off-Topic”