Adding factory nav and reverse camera to base Chevy Volt

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mwalsh

Leaf Supporting Member
Getting ready to add navigation and a reversing camera to my wife's 2013 Volt as her birthday gift this year, following some of the instructions in a couple of threads on gm-volt.com (the nav system thread is not specific to a MyLink Volt, so I had to pick the wheat from the chaff):

http://gm-volt.com/forum/showthread.php?49513-How-To-Add-A-Factory-Navigation-System-W-Pictures" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://gm-volt.com/forum/showthread.php?103313-How-To-Add-backup-Camera-to-MyLink-equiped-Volt-%28not-for-pre-MyLink-cars%29" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

She doesn't care so much about the nav, that's really for me (if not both of us), but she's apparently really missed not having a reversing camera, even though the only experience she's actually had with one is the rare occasion she's used my LEAF - her old car certainly didn't have one!

It's been a bit of a hard slog to get this done at reasonable cost. I missed out on a deal last year for a brand new nav head unit already programmed due to my wife's heart surgery and email that was supposedly responded to but never actually received at my end (not even on my server), and ever since I've been looking for a reasonably priced used one that I could send in for reprogramming. Unfortunately, they're a bit thin on the ground in the secondary market, but finally this last week one popped up on eBay and I snagged it:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/181689040121?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

There are two head units for the 2013 MyLink Volt with Bluetooth - part numbers 22993877 and 23121306. The latter replaced the former in 2014, and I'm rather hoping it didn't because there was an inherent flaw they redesigned out, because 22993877 is the part number of the one I've purchased.

Since used head units are locked to a particular VIN, they need to have the old VIN cleared before they can be used in a different car. Dealers can do this, but most are pretty clueless as to how. Instead I'm going to be sending mine to an outfit called White Audio Media. Their programming is similar to lockpick, but is done in the head unit itself rather than via an add-on box. It's a bit less than lockpick and a bit more than simply having the dealer clear the donor car's vin, but you get some features inherent in lockpick so (IMHO) it's the better value.

http://www.whiteautoandmedia.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

One of the things I could have had WAM do, to save myself a bit of cash, was make all the nav functions available in the car's touch-screen, and not worry about changing out the control panel to one with nav buttons. I gave this a lot of consideration due to cost, but since my wife has already managed to scratch her control panel up some, and since one that was manufacturer's surplus came up at an affordable price, I decided to splurge:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/261576373331?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Then I needed a camera. I had already decided that $90 for the OEM camera was just too much. I also liked the idea of being able to fit something without drilling out the rear bumper. I finally decided on this Chinese camera, supposedly a CCD, built into a knockoff Malibu style license plate lamp. The Volt and the Malibu use the same part number for license lamps, so it should fit just fine. The quality of the camera is yet to be determined, but I'm obviously keeping my fingers crossed. If it's no good, $20 including shipping is not a lot in the big scheme of things:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/331416301123?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Finally I needed a GPS antenna, and again generic aftermarket was the order of the day:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/400293518159?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The camera will take a while to arrive from China, but I can get everything else done in the meantime and still check the install for camera readiness with anything that can provide video via a composite cable.

Wish me luck!

Everything arrived for my install, even the camera from China (which only took 9 days). Although once I'd bought the eBay camera, I found the same thing on amazon.com for $5 less:

http://www.amazon.com/CHEVROLE-Wate...7392552&sr=8-3&keywords=malibu+reverse+camera

So far as the other parts...

The head-unit seems to be in good shape, but I couldn't test it out as I'd hoped because (and this was somewhat expected) it theft-locked when I tried to install it. I've sent it off already for unlocking and reprogramming, and with any luck I'll have it back in a couple of weeks, well in time for the wife's birthday. The control panel is, as I'd hoped, brand new OEM surplus, and represents quite a bargain at $150 shipped, compared to over $300 with the discount online vendors. The generic GPS antenna is as expected...nothing more worth saying on that really.

The camera is pretty good, though I do have a minor quibble with the molding quality inside the bulb socket on the license plate lamp housing - as you can see from the picture below, it's not that great in the knock-off compared to the original, and the bulb holder isn't a tight fit. I'll solve this by using a rubber or fiber washer between the bulb holder and socket, so not a big deal:

camera4.JPG

Here is the picture quality the camera offers, though the pictures you're seeing are photographed from a 19" 720P TV rather than the Volt's display, since I'm not there with that part of the install yet. I think the images themselves are pretty comparable to those from the camera in my LEAF, although the guidelines are fatter (though also easier to see, which might work out better for my wife anyway).

Note that because the camera is installed in a license plate lamp, it is off of center on the bumper, which is something that will obviously have to be taken into account when reversing into a parking space if the outside lines are to be used as a guide against the lines striped into the space.

On thing very different from the guidelines on the LEAF's camera is that red definitely represents the danger zone with this camera and, as you can see from the picture where my LEAF is closest to the Volt's bumper, I wouldn't be comfortable with anyone backing the car up so it's closer than the part of the yellow zone with the parallel line - it represents enough room for someone to get between the bumper of the Volt and the front bumper of the car behind, so normal parking really. In the picture where I parked the LEAF and it ended up on the green parallel line in the camera...that's probably where I'd normally pull up on someone if waiting at a traffic signal. Just to give you some context.

camera3.JPG

camera2.JPG

camera1.JPG

So far, so good! The WAMS reprogramming is simply magic, and I can highly recommend Chris White for this service should you need it.

Where I'm at as of right now is an installed head unit, GPS antenna, and new control panel. All (thankfully) is working as expected, even route recalculation (which, if you've read the navigation install thread on gm-volt.com, was an issue for 2011/2012 owners).

I'm personally really glad I spent the extra $ for a new control panel (and found one at such a good price), so I have that factory look and feel, though I'm sure WAMS' programming of all the nav functions into the display is almost as good if one couldn't be found or someone didn't want to spend the extra cash. I was a little worried about the cheapo aftermarket GPS antenna, but even attached (magnetic backplate) to the steel dash support directly behind the head unit it works just fine.

Since my wife needs the car today, I'll run the wiring for the backup camera tomorrow. I don't expect any problems - the display does go to black and shows the backup warning advisory when the car is put in reverse, so it's clearly expecting a video signal. I'll follow up further with that next time.

photo.JPG

I find myself a bit less enthused about my camera choice now that I've gotten installed properly and have had a chance to play with it at different times of the day.

Fit and finish wise...I did solve the loose bulb holder problem I mentioned in an earlier post, by doubling up the rubber O-ring on the bulb holder. Then I found the whole assembly was a little looser in the bumper cover than I would have liked, and I solved that by a bit of thin, self-adhesive rubber stripping attached to the inside of the bumper cover where the bulb holder end of the assembly hooks in.

It turns out that picture quality on the Volt's smaller screen is, unfortunately, not as good as on the 19" TV I used for testing (don't tell the wife...she'll want me to permanently install the 19" TV in the car!). The biggest problem is that the contrast/brightness is a bit on the low side, and that's something I don't think is adjustable within the car. Also the camera doesn't do as well as my LEAF's factory camera in all lighting situations, particularly once dusk starts to set in and in the dark (though the massive reversing light in the Volt helps some in darkness). I may have to look at some camera alternatives after all. However, I don't think this is completely bad solution when it comes to one that is completely reversible without anyone realizing it was ever there.

Another issue that I'm having that is more head-unit than camera is the amount of time for the regular screen to return when the car is taken out of reverse and put into drive. You can see it in the YouTube video I uploaded. It doesn't take as long when the car is taken out of reverse and returned to park, and it doesn't do it at all when the camera is instead hooked up to the TV, which is how I know that it's definitely something that's head-unit related. In the video you'll see me move the shifter from park to reverse and back, then from reverse to drive twice, and then finally back to park.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xuvslViZhdA" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Sorry for the image quality in the pictures...not enough light when I took them on my iPhone. I may change them out when time permits.

photo%2018.JPG

photo%2033.JPG

Ah, I've found out that the camera screen staying up on the center display is intended behavior on factory installs, and the camera does stay live for a few seconds beyond the shift from reverse to drive just to be certain that the driver isn't doing something like parallel parking.

If I want to emulate this in my aftermarket install, I'll need to install a time delay relay to keep the camera active for a few seconds longer.

In case you hadn't noticed, the LEAF's camera immediately goes back the normal screen when you shift from reverse into drive. In the Volt, it very much feels like either the engineers were trying to do something cool or were overthinking the user's expectations.

Interesting post. I am currently in the process of buying a 2013 Volt to replace my 2012 that I'm returning off lease shortly. This 2013 I'm buying is the color I want inside and out, and the price I want, but it lacks heated seats, backup camera, and NAV. I have wondered about the possibility of adding those things. But I'm not sure I'd settle for anything less than the factory equipment.

adric22 said:
Interesting post. I am currently in the process of buying a 2013 Volt to replace my 2012 that I'm returning off lease shortly. This 2013 I'm buying is the color I want inside and out, and the price I want, but it lacks heated seats, backup camera, and NAV. I have wondered about the possibility of adding those things. But I'm not sure I'd settle for anything less than the factory equipment.

The issue is likely to be fining the head-unit (silver-box, as they call it on the other site) at reasonable cost, since whatever you pay you'll have to add $230 for WAMS reprogramming. Unless you can find a dealer that can do it for you, in which case you'll probably be looking at $100-150.

I've seen exactly 2 come up at the kind of money I'd want to pay on eBay in the last 8 months (and even one of those was a bit higher than I would have liked to see). I've seen a few more come up on car-part.com, but (when the recycler actually gives you enough information to identify the part you need) the prices tend to be quite a bit higher. For example, there are three right now where either the correct part number or RPO code is listed, two are over $300 and the other is $CALL (which is recycler code for "we're going to get as much money out of you as we can").

Car-part.com has never been a site that has given me a massive amount of confidence, and then having to phone recyclers to do the deal...I'd rather have teeth pulled.

Of course, you can make mistakes on eBay too, even with pictures of the part you need. The control panel I bought for our Volt, for example - I actually bought the wrong one for our car (black display hood vs. light brown display hood. Gah! Never mind, I'll change out the hood over the instrument panel from brown to black and have a completely unique Volt. It won't look odd, since the steering wheel is a combination of all three interior colors already. In fact, I think it will look quite swish! Of course, I blame GM - did you know there are like 10 different part numbers for the control panel, based on installed options and colors? It's rediculous. No wonder GM has a hard time making money.

Edit: I take it back...there are 18 different part numbers for the 2013 control panel, based on options and colors:

http://www.gmpartsgiant.com/parts-list/2013-chevrolet-volt/radio-mounting.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Used the Volt nav for the first time properly last week, on my two round-trip journeys between Orange County and Riverside. Love the way it works, especially the way the position marker gobbles up the route as you drive (almost like a PacMan), which the LEAF doesn't do. Plus the graphics quality is WAY better than in our LEAFs.

Can you elaborate on the wiring from the backup camera to the center stack? I've got a 2012 Volt that already has aftermarket NAV but I'd like to add a backup camera.

Also, I have a dash cam in the front, and I'd like to split the signal from the backup cam to a secondary dash cam. This would involve wiring it to be powered whenever the car is on. Ever thought about this?

Back