Pay-As-You-Drive insurance

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GRA

Making the switch effective tomorrow (won't get the OBD II dongle for a few days though). Given that my car sits in my driveway all week long and only gets used for out of town trips, switching from conventional insurance was overdue. Coverage is roughly comparable (I had CSAA before), increasing in some areas and decreasing in others. As it is, I could drive about 15k miles a year before I'd equal what I was paying yearly for insurance. As I'm likely to drive no more than 1/3rd of that (my 2003 Forester, bought new, has 62,800 miles on the odometer, and owing to a variety of unrelated issues including injuries/illness, lack of snow, fires etc. that have kept my driving way down from normal, I've only put on 3,800 miles total in the past three years), I should save myself at least 40-45%/year, despite previously having the lowest yearly mileage allowance (5k) that CSAA offered. I've been very conscientious about not using my car for trips where I can instead use my bike or transit for the past three years or so, and this just gives me one more incentive to reduce my car usage to a minimum.

Went with Metromile as they just use a base rate plus your monthly mileage, rather than the more extensive monitoring of speed/accel/decel/location/time/road etc. that the more Big-Brotherish companies use. If I were willing to let an insurer monitor all that I'd probably save money, as I don't drive like a teenager anymore and have a clean record, but it wasn't worth it to me. I suspect many people here who drive less than the typical American does can benefit from PAYD. I thought about doing it last year, but inertia and hesitation about giving an outside agency access to _any_ driving info beyond an occasional odometer reading delayed me doing it until now.

Just thought I'd give a little info for those who might be thinking of switching. One negative point for those who use LEAFSpy or similar, is that you couldn't use it unless you had a dual adapter, as the insurer's unit has to be in the OBD 2 port.

GRA said:
Just thought I'd give a little info for those who might be thinking of switching.
Thanks for the tip, GRA!

I went to MetroMile.com and put in the exact information from our policy and miles from this post (plus 2000 miles on the E350 last week) and then calculated how many miles we could drive each of our vehicles before the insurance cost for that vehicle exceeded our current cost:
Code:
                       Erie Ins.             MetroMile            Crossover Miles      Miles/year we drive
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2002 Ford E350           $237          $163.68 + $0.025/mile            2932                 3700
2003 Honda Civic Hybrid  $189          $130.44 + $0.015/mile            3675                 4500
2011 Nissan LEAF         $248          $204.60 + $0.03/mile             2976                 7000        
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Totals                   $674                  $819
It appears that with MetroMile we can save money if we drive each vehicle fewer than about 3000 miles. Recently we've been driving more than that each year, so I won't be switching. FWIW, our current insurer allows us to drive each vehicle up to 8500 miles/year with these rates.

Sorry, guys, Erie Insurance is not available in CA.

Edit: Corrected 2003 HCH MetroMile per mile rate: $0.015->$0.016. Crossover miles was already correct.

RegGuheert said:
GRA said:
Just thought I'd give a little info for those who might be thinking of switching.
Thanks for the tip, GRA!

I went to MetroMile.com and put in the exact information from our policy and miles from this post (plus 2000 miles on the E350 last week) and then calculated how many miles we could drive each of our vehicles before the insurance cost for that vehicle exceeded our current cost:
Code:
                       Erie Ins.             MetroMile            Crossover Miles      Miles/year we drive
2002 Ford E350           $237          $163.68 + $0.025/mile            2932                 3700
2003 Honda Civic Hybrid  $189          $130.44 + $0.015/mile            3675                 4500
2011 Nissan LEAF         $248          $204.60 + $0.03/mile             2976                 7000        
Totals                   $674                  $819
It appears that with MetroMile we can save money if we drive each vehicle fewer than about 3000 miles. Recently we've been driving more than that each year, so I won't be switching. FWIW, our current insurer allows us to drive each vehicle up to 8500 miles/year with these rates.

Sorry, guys, Erie Insurance is not available in CA.
Man, those Erie numbers are unbelievable for California! OTOH, I am single and living in an urban area, so that undoubtedly boosts my rates despite a clean record. I upped PL/PD from the base requirement when I switched and still carry Comp and Collision with $250 deductibles, and IIRR my prices at Metromile are

2003 Subaru Forester $32.55/month (actually $1.05/day) or $390.60/yr + $0.041/mile.

IIRR, If I'd gone with the minimum PL/PD/U.M. coverage plus Comp and Collision, it would have been $30.69/month ($368.28/yr) + $0.037/mile.

GRA said:
Man, those Erie numbers are unbelievable for California!
Erie's awesome for anywhere! My daughter moved to GA and had to switch to something else. Her premiums doubled.
GRA said:
IIRR, If I'd gone with the minimum PL/PD/U.M coverage plus Comp and Collision, it would have been $30.69/month ($368.28/yr) + $0.037/mile.
FWIW, I maxed all the policy-wide coverages on MetroMile (which matched what I have) and had no coverage on the HCH and 1K deductible for both liability and coverage on the LEAF and E350.

Unless there's something I'm missing, just the base rate alone is $100 shy of what I'm already paying Amerirprise for the same six month period, and that's before mileage is calculated in.

Using their "projected monthly cost", MetroMile would be 71% higher than what I'm paying for Ameriprise now.

Interesting... My understanding was that the OBDII insurance dongles did not work on the Leaf as all the data they needed was not there... Perhaps that is only with certain insurance companies...

I've driven my Leaf about 12,500 miles in 2.5 years, and I'm also pretty underwhelmed with Esurance, who raise my rates every six months like clockwork after giving a good initial rate. Maybe I'll look into this. Anything I should know about New York State?

RonDawg said:
Unless there's something I'm missing, just the base rate alone is $100 shy of what I'm already paying Amerirprise for the same six month period, and that's before mileage is calculated in.

Using their "projected monthly cost", MetroMile would be 71% higher than what I'm paying for Ameriprise now.
Everyone's numbers are bound to be different, depending on your car, coverage, record etc. Also, Metromile isn't the only PAYD insurer out there. All I can say for certain is that it sure is going to save ME a (small) bundle, and maybe others as well. Also, as with car-sharing, PAYD gives people an incentive to drive less by shifting a greater portion of costs to VMT, which is good for the planet and your health (if you walk/bike/use transit more) as well as your wallet.

Depending on what your mileage rate is, how far could you drive before equaling your current rate? At the 4.1 cents/mile I'll be paying, that $100 would cover 2,439 miles; at the 3.7 cents/mile if I had the minimum coverage, 2,703 miles.

GRA said:
Depending on what your mileage rate is, how far could you drive before equaling your current rate? At the 4.1 cents/mile I'll be paying, that $100 would cover 2,439 miles; at the 3.7 cents/mile if I had the minimum coverage, 2,703 miles.

MetroMile is charging me 8.3 cents/mile for the Leaf, almost 30% higher than their mileage rate for eGolf. Assuming I put all of my mileage on the Leaf, after a mere 1,205 miles I've spent as much as I will with Ameriprise, which will include 4,000 miles for those same six months, PLUS 4,000 more miles for the eGolf and 1,000 miles for the A3. This is comparing "like for like" coverage.

But even if I am paying only 4.1 cents/mile, $100 in savings across 6 months is simply not worth it for me. I'm willing to switch insurers for that amount of increase or more if I feel that I will get better service. It would be like going back to the old days of cell phones in which you paid by the minute (and later by the kb), rather than the fixed allotments or even so-called "unlimited" allotments that are common with cell phone contracts today.

Where it would work for me is for the A3, which is exclusively used for situations in which the Leaf or eGolf won't be able to do without at least one full charge along the way. I only put 2,000 miles on it in all of 2014, over 3/4 of which were road trips of over 100 miles one way. The rest of it was "maintenance" miles in which I drive the car long enough to get everything warmed up, just so it doesn't rot from lack of usage.

RonDawg said:
GRA said:

MetroMile is charging me 8.3 cents/mile for the Leaf, almost 30% higher than their mileage rate for eGolf. Assuming I put all of my mileage on the Leaf, after a mere 1,205 miles I've spent as much as I will with Ameriprise, which will include 4,000 miles for those same six months, PLUS 4,000 more miles for the eGolf and 1,000 miles for the A3. This is comparing "like for like" coverage.

But even if I am paying only 4.1 cents/mile, $100 in savings across 6 months is simply not worth it for me. I'm willing to switch insurers for that amount of increase or more if I feel that I will get better service. It would be like going back to the old days of cell phones in which you paid by the minute (and later by the kb), rather than the fixed allotments or even so-called "unlimited" allotments that are common with cell phone contracts today.

Where it would work for me is for the A3, which is exclusively used for situations in which the Leaf or eGolf won't be able to do without at least one full charge along the way. I only put 2,000 miles on it in all of 2014, over 3/4 of which were road trips of over 100 miles one way. The rest of it was "maintenance" miles in which I drive the car long enough to get everything warmed up, just so it doesn't rot from lack of usage.
Yeah, sounds like it isn't worth it for you to switch. That held me up for a while, but my cost advantage is a lot better than yours, as realistically I'll never come close to driving enough miles to equal the CSAA premium (with a 5k/mile annual limit) I had before; the cross-over point for me is at 15,497 miles/year! I wonder what's up with the e-Golf/LEAF price differential? It seems unlikely that Nissan parts/service are more expensive than VW parts.

GRA said:
I wonder what's up with the e-Golf/LEAF price differential? It seems unlikely that Nissan parts/service are more expensive than VW parts.

AAA also wants a high amount to insure the Leaf. I wonder if it has to do with the increased amount of aluminum used in the pre-2013 Leaf?

Back