Anybody else erg?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mwalsh

Leaf Supporting Member
Those of you who have seen me in person may not believe it but I jog, A LOT - 5k every single day - these days on a Sole F80 treadmill I bought for the house a couple of years ago (great prosumer treadmill, BTW!). So my legs are pretty buff, but I never seem to be able to exorcise my beer gut. Well, since we have a bunch of rowers in the family, I finally broke down and decided to try erging (indoor rowing) as another form of cardiovascular exercise.

My gym has a single older model Concept 2 model C that is pretty thrashed (though it does have the important model D upgrades of handle, computer, and seat), while family members who do row do On The Water also have a well maintained Concept 2 model D at their house. My wife's grandson, who rows for his college, does a very competitive 6:11.8 2000m on an erg (1:33 500m split) while I'm currently stuck at 9:00 even for 2000m (a 2:15.0 split). I know I have some technique problems that are hindering me from getting better, and I intend to work on them, but it's pretty grueling stuff, particularly on the thrashed old piece of crap I have access to.

I'd like to get to a consistent 2:00.0 split time, or 8 minutes for 2000m, which I think will be pretty respectable for a man my age. I'd also like to get myself a Model D of my own (around $1000 with shipping) when my finances improve - I don't like gym equipment for the reason previously outlined and am pretty firmly convinced I could do better on a well maintained rig. Plus I REALLY hate waiting on people who clearly have no clue what they're doing while they fart around/pose for 5 minutes on a piece of equipment using technique that is completely laughable/pathetic (Google "erg fail" on YouTube to get an idea of what I'm talking about), which is one of the reasons I ended up with my own treadmill in the first place.

So does anyone else erg? What do you use? What are your split and 2k times?

Back