Oils4AsphaultOnly
Delivery Date: 20 Nov 2016
Leaf Number: 313890

Re: Tesla's autopilot, on the road

Wed Jun 13, 2018 12:38 pm

jlv wrote:
Oils4AsphaultOnly wrote:It's a torque sensor, so you just have to jiggle the wheel, not hold it tighter.
I know; if I hold it slightly tighter my grip is enough to supply enough feedback to the torque sensor.

I just tried EAP this morning and it starts to nag MUCH earlier! I've resorted to holding the wheel with both hands in the 10 & 2 position, or resting my wrist in the 7 & 5 position. Either positions eliminated the nags, but not my cup-o-tea. Lucky for me, that I like driving the model 3 so much, but this EAP change is a huge negative.
:: Model 3 LR :: acquired 9 May '18
:: Leaf S30 :: build date: Sep '16 :: purchased: Nov '16
Date - Miles / GIDs:
May '17 - 7300 mi / 363
Feb '18 - 20.5k mi / 333

GRA

Wed Jun 13, 2018 4:38 pm

LeftieBiker wrote:Some automakers were ahead of the curve. In the Sixties (and even the Fifties!) Volvo was equipping their cars with three point lap & shoulder belts, padded dashboards, locking seatbacks, front crumple zones... My Dad switched from driving Morris Minors (sp?) to Volvos after a bad crash in a Morris in the early Sixties seriously injured my Mom, and I grew up riding in several Volvo models - along with the requisite American station wagon with more room but less safety.

Yes, they were. Dad's final downselect in '76 was between the Peugeot 504D and a Volvo 244GL. He opted for the Peugeot because it was a diesel, and he didn't want to have to wait in lines for gas ever again. It got considerably better mileage (real-world 30 mpg Hwy) than the Volvo as well, even though the Volvo had electric O/D and the 504 just had a straight 4-spd. stick. With only 65 Hp I have my doubts that the 504D could even maintain freeway speed in an O/D fifth gear - if there was more than a slight grade it would start to slow down, and on I-80 going up to Tahoe I'd be in 3rd in the truck lane, at truck speed. :lol:
Guy [I have lots of experience designing/selling off-grid AE systems, some using EVs but don't own one. Local trips are by foot, bike and/or rapid transit].

The 'best' is the enemy of 'good enough'. Copper shot, not Silver bullets.

sparky
Delivery Date: 08 Jan 2011

Thu Jun 14, 2018 4:24 pm

jlv wrote:I just got 2018.21.9 two days ago and will be taking a 1000 mi trip next week. We'll see if this is really annoying.

The problem is I get the nags even though I'm already holding the wheel -- just not putting enough pressure on it continuously.

Yeah, that might not work well for you. I just drove 350 mi with the latest AP SW on the Model 3. No "nag" problem for me. My hand position etc must be compatible with the more sensitive nag. I do like the seeing the cars in other lane. Now if they'd just add those to the blind spot areas behind and make the lane changing not so timid, I'd be good with this update i think.

See if you can detect less stable lane keeping. I think this version weaves a tiny bit more.
Got a test drive queued up for a LEAF 2.0. Curious how Nissan's "AP" compares.

jlv
Delivery Date: 30 Apr 2014
Leaf Number: 424487

Fri Jun 15, 2018 11:09 am

Interestingly enough, in a few short drives with the latest AP and found it gave me less spurious nags than I used used to. I didn't take it for a long drive yet , so that will be the real test. I had to leave my hands off the wheel altogether (something I never otherwise do) to get it to nag me at all, and it took about 30s for the nag to appear.
'13 SL+Prem (mfg 12/13, leased 4/14, bought 5/17) 32K miTesla S 75D (3/17) 25K mi
Model 3 reservation (still undecided)

jlv

Tue Jun 19, 2018 5:41 pm

After putting several hundred miles on AP in 2018.21.9, I'm really pleased with the update. I've gotten nearly no spurious nags at all - it always reads my hand on the wheel (since it is always there). That's with my hands at either 9&3 or 7&5.
'13 SL+Prem (mfg 12/13, leased 4/14, bought 5/17) 32K miTesla S 75D (3/17) 25K mi

GRA

Tue Jun 19, 2018 6:30 pm

jlv wrote:After putting several hundred miles on AP in 2018.21.9, I'm really pleased with the update. I've gotten nearly no spurious nags at all - it always reads my hand on the wheel (since it is always there). That's with my hands at either 9&3 or 7&5.

Just as it/they should be. If the average Tesla driver were guaranteed to use A/P in a more responsible/conscientious way than the typical American driver, there'd be no problems. As numerous internet videos and more than a few accidents have demonstrated, there's absolutely no shortage of Tesla owners who do asinine things while using A/P, just as there's a % of the general driving public who do similarly asinine things without A/P, so it's hard to believe that the spectrum of Tesla driver behavior differs significantly from the general public, especially when there's no test before a sale that might determine that and restrict sales to only those who passed.
Guy [I have lots of experience designing/selling off-grid AE systems, some using EVs but don't own one. Local trips are by foot, bike and/or rapid transit].

GRA

Sat Jun 23, 2018 3:06 pm

Via IEVS, for info:
How Many Tesla Vehicles Have Been Delivered With Autopilot 1 And 2?
https://insideevs.com/tesla-autopilot-deliveries-generations/

. . . There are now over 269,000 Autopilot-enabled Teslas on the roads, and more of them have hardware version 2 than version 1. . . .

There are graphs.

cwerdna
Delivery Date: 28 Jul 2013

Sat Aug 25, 2018 8:44 pm

Thanks to a post on "TMC"....

Tesla crashes into San Jose fire truck on Highway 101
https://www.mercurynews.com/2018/08/25/ ... ghway-101/
https://twitter.com/SJFirefighters/stat ... 7089359872

If it was going at highway speeds, I wonder if we'll ever find out if the driver was aware that AEB may not be able to see/stop for stopped vehicles at such speeds.

'13 Leaf SV w/premium package (owned)
'13 Leaf SV w/QC + LED & premium packages (lease over, car returned)
'06 Prius

Please don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

jlv

Wed Aug 29, 2018 7:47 am

“I think I had auto-pilot on,” the driver ... told emergency responders
They weren't sure? :?

EVDRIVER

Wed Aug 29, 2018 8:36 am

cwerdna wrote:Thanks to a post on "TMC"....

Tesla crashes into San Jose fire truck on Highway 101
https://www.mercurynews.com/2018/08/25/ ... ghway-101/
https://twitter.com/SJFirefighters/stat ... 7089359872

If it was going at highway speeds, I wonder if we'll ever find out if the driver was aware that AEB may not be able to see/stop for stopped vehicles at such speeds.

Too bad he was also arrested for a DUI which is not yet integrated into AEB or autopilot. Like so many of these "blame AP stories" the story tends to evolve over time. I also doubt there was not some braking since the damage to the car does not seem to reflect the stated speeds.

One of your links has a subscription requirement and the other is broken FYI.

https://electrek.co/2018/08/25/tesla-mo ... uck-drunk/

Return to “Off-Topic”