edatoakrun
Delivery Date: 15 May 2011
Leaf Number: 2184

Re: Tesla's autopilot, on the road

Wed Oct 25, 2017 11:26 am

A good summary of the business and legal implications of the “Enhanced Autopilot” fiasco:

Elon Musk Was Wrong About Self-Driving Teslas

He’s charging $8,000 for a feature that doesn’t exist yet while owners bemoan a current version that’s flawed. This is the story of how we got here.

A year ago, Tesla Inc. set up a hastily organized conference call between Elon Musk and reporters. Tesla had something big to announce—big enough for the chief executive to open the floor to questions. That doesn’t happen very often.

What followed wasn’t so much the unveiling of a new product as a plan for a product. Tesla’s driver-assistance platform, Autopilot, was about to begin a transformation to fully autonomous driving. Every Tesla would come with eight cameras, radar, 12 ultrasonic sensors, and a Nvidia Corp. supercomputer. Once testing and regulatory approval were complete, Musk said, the car would be able to drive entirely by itself.

“The foundation is laid,” Musk proclaimed. Tesla was so confident, in fact, that it started selling its “Full Self Driving” feature for an additional $8,000 on any new Model X or Model S. Tesla’s timeline was, as is so often the case, years ahead of what most believed possible...

What followed were months of setbacks, delays, and in-house turmoil. A year later, there’s still no sign of Full Self Driving, and even the less ambitious hasn’t quite reached parity with an earlier, discontinued version. The head of Tesla’s Autopilot division left in January, and six months later his successor did, too. Meanwhile, Tesla owners who paid thousands of dollars for the options filed a class action lawsuit, alleging they were tricked into buying a feature that doesn’t exist and—in some cases—an unsafe car...

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... -lost-year
no condition is permanent

sparky
Delivery Date: 08 Jan 2011

Wed Oct 25, 2017 9:49 pm

I think the tenor of the Bloomberg article is a simple notion that FSD was a bridge too far. Tesla hasn't delivered.
If I paid $3k for FSD last year, I think Tesla owes me a refund or something of equal value.
I did pay $5k for EAP and I'm enjoying it. Not wishing for a refund at all. Will select the EAP option on my Model 3.

GRA

Mon Oct 30, 2017 5:53 pm

Via IEVS:
Tesla Autopilot 2.5 Activates High-Speed Automatic Emergency Braking
https://insideevs.com/tesla-autopilot-2-5-activates-high-speed-aeb/

The maximum speed at which Automatic Emergency Braking is available has increased from 50 mph to 90 mph.”

The newest Autopilot software update also adds back the vehicles’ folding side mirrors and reportedly better Autosteer. The mirrors will stay folded at 30 mph or less if you’ve opted to already fold them. The notes explain:

For ample clearance when driving through narrow streets, if you’ve folded your vehicle’s mirrors, they will stay folded while you’re driving at low speeds (up to 30 mph).
Guy [I have lots of experience designing/selling off-grid AE systems, some using EVs but don't own one. Local trips are by foot, bike and/or rapid transit].

The 'best' is the enemy of 'good enough'. Copper shot, not Silver bullets.

edatoakrun
Delivery Date: 15 May 2011
Leaf Number: 2184

Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:58 am

no condition is permanent

Return to “Off-Topic”