edatoakrun
Delivery Date: 15 May 2011
Leaf Number: 2184

Re: Tesla's autopilot, on the road

Wed May 30, 2018 9:58 am

GRA wrote:
edatoakrun wrote:The very high fatality rate that seems to be emerging for Teslas is going to get its own thread soon. <snip>

Do you have any statistical data that supports your claim of a "very high fatality rate" for Teslas?...

See:

Tesla's vehicle safety record

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=25938
no condition is permanent

edatoakrun

Thu May 31, 2018 11:01 am

EVDRIVER wrote:I guess the odds seem to target a lucky few particularly those that don’t use common sense...

jlv wrote:...This guy was not a safe driver...

cwerdna wrote:...he admits to having fallen asleep 15-25 times while on the road, presumably his earlier US road trip.
Oils4AsphaultOnly wrote:... How anyone can violate the terms of agreement to that level AND still expect to place blame on anyone other than themselves is beyond reason.

Maybe you should listen to his replies to those charges in the nearly 50 minute You-You Xue interview at:

http://www.autonocast.com/blog/2018/5/3 ... -autopilot

If he is truthful in describing what happened, that a sudden and unexpected failure in Autopilot directed the 3 toward the barrier, and that he could not overide quickly enough to avert collision, do any of your comments above really matter?

The only part of the interview that made me doubt his general sanity was when he said he thought the car could be repaired for twenty-something thousand dollars.

The title photo alone (below) says:

Totalled!

https://electrek.co/2018/05/25/tesla-mo ... autopilot/

But, since he has no insurance, he might get a pretty good price from a 3-anxious Euro-buyer, who has access to a low-rate-eastern-european body shop, and who is willing to wait a l-o-n-g- time for all the necessary replacement parts from USA-wrecked 3's to show up on the internet.

Oils4AsphaultOnly
Delivery Date: 20 Nov 2016
Leaf Number: 313890

Thu May 31, 2018 7:10 pm

edatoakrun wrote:
EVDRIVER wrote:I guess the odds seem to target a lucky few particularly those that don’t use common sense...

jlv wrote:...This guy was not a safe driver...

cwerdna wrote:...he admits to having fallen asleep 15-25 times while on the road, presumably his earlier US road trip.
Oils4AsphaultOnly wrote:... How anyone can violate the terms of agreement to that level AND still expect to place blame on anyone other than themselves is beyond reason.

Maybe you should listen to his replies to those charges in the nearly 50 minute You-You Xue interview at:

http://www.autonocast.com/blog/2018/5/3 ... -autopilot

If he is truthful in describing what happened, that a sudden and unexpected failure in Autopilot directed the 3 toward the barrier, and that he could not overide quickly enough to avert collision, do any of your comments above really matter?

The only part of the interview that made me doubt his general sanity was when he said he thought the car could be repaired for twenty-something thousand dollars.

The title photo alone (below) says:

Totalled!

https://electrek.co/2018/05/25/tesla-mo ... autopilot/

I don't bother listening to people make excuses about how it wasn't their fault when they do things that they've been explicitly told NOT to do. It's a free country, and you're free to take whatever risks you deem fit, but don't bother telling a sob story after it backfires. That's like going into Yosemite with bacon strapped around your body. The park rangers will warn you against doing it, but they can't prevent you from sneaking in. If you get mauled, it ain't the bear's fault.
:: Model 3 LR :: acquired 9 May '18
:: Leaf S30 :: build date: Sep '16 :: purchased: Nov '16
Date - Miles / GIDs:
May '17 - 7300 mi / 363
Feb '18 - 20.5k mi / 333

EVDRIVER

Thu May 31, 2018 7:49 pm

AP- The new excuse for stupidity or not taking responsibility for your actions. As the facts some out on many of these drivers the plot seems to thicken. If you research some of their driving habits and comments it makes you wonder how they are alive this late in life. Every idiot that has an accident now has a scape goat. I can't wait for the AP accidents in parking lots that will be blamed on Tesla.

jlv
Delivery Date: 30 Apr 2014
Leaf Number: 424487

Fri Jun 01, 2018 10:57 am

edatoakrun wrote:Maybe you should listen to his replies to those charges in the nearly 50 minute You-You Xue interview at

Where he says (this is close, but not an exact transcription):
I picked up my phone from the cup holder, took a look at it, I remember moving the map forward to check it, I felt the car suddenly swerve, and then I looked up

So this is a basic case of distracted driving. He was using his phone while driving the car and not paying attention to the road. Was he not paying attention for seconds? tens of seconds? minutes? Only he knows, but I suspect it was for longer than he thinks it was. Thankfully he didn't kill anyone by his actions.

The car was on AutoPilot, and he was thinking that autopilot would just handle it for him. That's bad, because anyone who has used AP for any length of driving knows you can't do that. (it's like putting a regular car on cruise control and holding the steering wheel with your knees -- that works just fine as long as you only need to go straight).

It does make me begin to think that maybe something like Cadillac's steering wheel sensors would help protect us from people who use AP without paying attention. Given the large gulf between the state of AP today and something like "level 4 or 5" FSD, something like those sensros may be necessary. I'm personally still not sure.
'13 SL+Prem (mfg 12/13, leased 4/14, bought 5/17) 33K miTesla S 75D (3/17) 27K mi
3 reservation canceled; X on order.

jlv

Fri Jun 01, 2018 11:00 am

jlv wrote:The car was on AutoPilot, and he was thinking that autopilot would just handle it for him. That's bad, because anyone who has used AP for any length of driving knows you can't do that.
Maybe "anyone who has used AP should know you can't safely do that".
'13 SL+Prem (mfg 12/13, leased 4/14, bought 5/17) 33K miTesla S 75D (3/17) 27K mi

edatoakrun

Fri Jun 01, 2018 11:24 am

jlv wrote:
edatoakrun wrote:Maybe you should listen to his replies to those charges in the nearly 50 minute You-You Xue interview at

Where he says (this is close, but not an exact transcription):
I picked up my phone from the cup holder, took a look at it, I remember moving the map forward to check it, I felt the car suddenly swerve, and then I looked up

So this is a basic case of distracted driving. He was using his phone while driving the car and not paying attention to the road....

And this is something no other Autoplilot driver has never done, without causing a crash?

Look, if he wanted to mislead you, he could have lied and said he was fully attentive during the autopilot malfunction, which caused the car to swerve abruptly.

And even he had been fully attentive, are you sure he would have been able react fast enough, to have prevented a collision?

If he had been more attentive and had reacted earlier and attempted to correct the malfunction to the left, rather than to the right of the barrier, it's entirely possible he could have hit it head-on, with the possibility of an even more severe crash.

jlv

Fri Jun 01, 2018 12:40 pm

edatoakrun wrote:And this is something no other Autoplilot driver has never done, without causing a crash?

And this is something no other driver has never done, without causing a crash?

cwerdna
Delivery Date: 28 Jul 2013

Sat Jun 02, 2018 8:17 pm

From https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/threads ... ot.116883/, this idiot kid RENTS a Model S and decided to eat In-N-Out while using autopilot on the highway. He claims he’s done a lot of research about it and it’s perfectly safe... :roll: And he says at no point is he going to put himself or anyone else in danger. :roll:

I've only watched bits of this moron's video.

'13 Leaf SV w/premium package (owned)
'13 Leaf SV w/QC + LED & premium packages (lease over, car returned)
'06 Prius

Please don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

edatoakrun

Sun Jun 03, 2018 7:51 am

jlv wrote:
edatoakrun wrote:And this is something no other Autoplilot driver has never done, without causing a crash?

And this is something no other driver has never done, without causing a crash?

Cars without driver assistance systems like Autopilot obviously can not malfunction and not spontaneously turn the wheel by themselves and crash into obstacles, like gore points.

And Competitors' driver assist systems, like Nissan's ProPILOT Assist, don't seem to be malfunctioning (any reports?) at the rate Autopilot has.

Another interview with the driver, the crash story begins at ~14:30:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ZA9PuCSkac

Return to “Off-Topic”