Oils4AsphaultOnly
Posts: 496
Joined: Sat Oct 10, 2015 4:09 pm
Delivery Date: 20 Nov 2016
Leaf Number: 313890
Location: Arcadia, CA

Re: Tesla's autopilot, on the road

Sun Dec 02, 2018 10:55 pm

cwerdna wrote:This made the local TV news recently.

CHP: Drunk driver slept while Tesla appeared to drive Hwy 101 on autopilot
https://www.sfgate.com/crime/article/Dr ... 435295.php

CHP: Tesla driver suspected of DUI may have had autopilot on
https://www.mercurynews.com/2018/11/30/ ... opilot-on/


Regardless of whether or not the driver would've chosen to drive if autopilot was NOT available, nor whether or not autopilot's nags were defeatable, wasn't it a step forward that no one died or were injured by someone's bad decision, unlike what might've happened if this driver drove any other vehicle? Hopefully one of these days, getting home drunk will no longer be a criminal offense with dire consequences.
:: Model 3 LR :: acquired 9 May '18
:: Leaf S30 :: build date: Sep '16 :: purchased: Nov '16
Date - Miles / GIDs:
May '17 - 7300 mi / 363
Feb '18 - 20.5k mi / 333

WetEV
Posts: 2372
Joined: Fri May 04, 2012 8:25 am
Delivery Date: 16 Feb 2014
Location: Near Seattle, WA

Re: Tesla's autopilot, on the road

Mon Dec 03, 2018 9:35 am

Oils4AsphaultOnly wrote:Hopefully one of these days, getting home drunk will no longer be a criminal offense with dire consequences.


Taxi has always worked. Yellow cab, Uber, etc.

Once cars get as smart as horses, then the drunk can get into the passenger seat and the car will be smart enough to drive home.
WetEV
#49
Most everything around here is wet during the rainy season. And the rainy season is long.
2012 Leaf SL Red (Totaled)
2014 Leaf SL Red

palmermd
Posts: 2521
Joined: Fri Apr 23, 2010 3:19 pm
Delivery Date: 31 Mar 2011
Leaf Number: 1100011011
Location: Hermosa Beach, CA

Re: Tesla's autopilot, on the road

Mon Dec 03, 2018 10:05 am

WetEV wrote:
Oils4AsphaultOnly wrote:Hopefully one of these days, getting home drunk will no longer be a criminal offense with dire consequences.


Taxi has always worked. Yellow cab, Uber, etc.

Once cars get as smart as horses, then the drunk can get into the passenger seat and the car will be smart enough to drive home.


well a horse will not keep you from getting the DUI. https://duiwise.com/dui-faq/can-you-get ... n-a-horse/

And even if the car were level 4 capable, operating under the influence should still be an offense since the driver is still responsible for taking control at some point. Level 5 where the operator has no responsibility for taking control it can be argued that you could get in under the influence. Certainly in the case of the horse, it is the operators responsibility for the horses safety when taking it out on public streets, and so DUI is appropriate.
Michael

Leaf since 31 March 2011
Driving electric since 1996


First Bar Loss
Second Bar Loss
Third Bar Loss
Fourth Bar Loss

WetEV
Posts: 2372
Joined: Fri May 04, 2012 8:25 am
Delivery Date: 16 Feb 2014
Location: Near Seattle, WA

Re: Tesla's autopilot, on the road

Mon Dec 03, 2018 11:16 am

palmermd wrote:well a horse will not keep you from getting the DUI.


Depends on which state, of course.

palmermd wrote:And even if the car were level 4 capable, operating under the influence should still be an offense since the driver is still responsible for taking control at some point. Level 5 where the operator has no responsibility for taking control it can be argued that you could get in under the influence. Certainly in the case of the horse, it is the operators responsibility for the horses safety when taking it out on public streets, and so DUI is appropriate.


Is a horse level 5 capable? Perhaps not.
WetEV
#49
Most everything around here is wet during the rainy season. And the rainy season is long.
2012 Leaf SL Red (Totaled)
2014 Leaf SL Red

Return to “Off-Topic”