Theft of Catalytic Converters - Another Risk for ICE Vehicles

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm always amazed at how efficiently thieves can remove parts from cars. Stealing part of the exhaust system sounds like a pretty challenging job to me!

Hard to see how they are worth enough to steal.

But in 1987 someone broke my driver's window of an old K car station wagon in parking garage at Executive Inn in Paducah, KY.
All they stole was a radiator hose that you could buy for less than $15 in 1987. :shock: :?

I've known about cat theft for awhile, but thanks for the article and references to Priuses. :(

Unclear if LAPD officer's statement referred to just all Prius generations, several or just Gen 2 (04 to 09 model year).

Sigh... :( Hope nothing happens to the cat on my Gen 2 Prius in the few times I actually drive it these days. Most of the time, it's in my locked garage.

I imagine the linked piece mentioned it, but if not, the reason for the value is the platinum in the converters. Car dealers will sometimes see a dozen of them or more removed in one night.

Apparently the Prius design makes it particularly easy and fast to remove them, and thus attractive to thiefs.

Stoaty said:
Family members have a total of 4-5 Prius. Didn't realize those vehicles were uniquely at risk.

Back