Anyone using Chffr or Dash to help gather data for Comma.ai?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

palmermd

http://comma.ai/

Chffr for Android and Dash for iOS are applications that are used to collect road data for the comma.ai autonomous vehicle control system that is supposed to be sold late 2016 or early 2017 for $999 + $24/mo. Early release is only for folks driving an Acura with lane keeping assistance included in the car, but future versions should work on more models and makes of car.

I think it is an interesting concept, and I needed a dashcam for my car, to this seems to solve both at the same time. I have an old iPhone that I don't use but the wifi still works for uploading the data after a drive. I've been using it for about a week. For the user there is not much to it other than a dashcam, but I'm sure that Comma.ai will have much better use of the data for their model building. I wish I had it when it was first announced, but I did not have an Android phone at the time, so I had to wait for the iOS version to come out last week before joining. Funny thing is that just after that I had a reason to switch, and now I have an Android phone on order so the iPhone will become a permanent dash cam in my car.

Comma.ai will ship a $999 autonomous driving add-on by the end of this year

Here is an interesting article on the subject....

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2016/09/safe-affordable-999-comma-one-semi-autonomous-driving-device/

We'll, I exceeded the requisite 2000 points using the app, so now I'm eligible to become a Beta tester once that program starts. It would be really cool to be one of the first testers. Looking forward to becoming a tester later in the year.

I realize that this is an old thread, but I wanted to chirp in too that I've been obsessed with self-driving cars since I first heard about them (probably a decade ago LOL) and would do just about anything to get the OpenPilot system going on the first gen Leaf. I've started using Chffr to store my rides although I wish there was some sort of post-processing on it to where I could see what the system would've guessed the lines on the road to be or whatever.

Anyway, I'm a software developer but NOT an electrical engineer, so I don't see there as being much that I can do to make that happen, but if anyone wants to see whether it's possible or not to do that'd be really exciting if it were possible.

Back