DanCar
Delivery Date: 10 Mar 2013

Re: Does Trump's Election Spell the End for Federal EV Subsidies?

Sun Nov 20, 2016 10:03 pm

Trumps 100 day plan is here: https://assets.donaldjtrump.com/_landin ... actv02.pdf
Pros for EVs:
* Fair competition with China:
* remove the 25% tariff that Tesla pays in China.
* China doesn't allow Tesla to participate in incentives.
* Mentions tax cuts a couple of times.
* Mentions pro environment, except for CO2.

Cons for EVs:
* Will cut price of energy. Which will probably lower the price of gas.

Neutral for EVs?:
* Mentions clean coal. I'm dubious of coal being clean. Dirty coal seems like a better description.

Here is a different version of 100 day plan:
https://www.donaldjtrump.com/press-rele ... nergy-plan

LeftieBiker
Delivery Date: 31 May 2013

Sun Nov 20, 2016 10:27 pm

Those are both campaign documents. Here is the short version of the 100 day plan:

______________________________________________________________________________________

Here is my 100-day action plan:

We’re going to rescind all the job-destroying Obama executive actions including the Climate Action Plan and the Waters of the U.S. rule.

We’re going to save the coal industry and other industries threatened by Hillary Clinton’s extremist agenda.

I’m going to ask Trans Canada to renew its permit application for the Keystone Pipeline.

We’re going to lift moratoriums on energy production in federal areas

We’re going to revoke policies that impose unwarranted restrictions on new drilling technologies. These technologies create millions of jobs with a smaller footprint than ever before.

We’re going to cancel the Paris Climate Agreement and stop all payments of U.S. tax dollars to U.N. global warming programs.

Any regulation that is outdated, unnecessary, bad for workers, or contrary to the national interest will be scrapped. We will also eliminate duplication, provide regulatory certainty, and trust local officials and local residents.

Any future regulation will go through a simple test: is this regulation good for the American worker? If it doesn’t pass this test, the rule will not be approved.

______________________________________________________________________________________

Let me know if you want to take that bet officially.
2013 "Brilliant Silver" SV with Premium Package and no QC, and 2009 Vectrix VX-1 with 18 Leaf cells.

The most offensive, tasteless phrase in use here is "Pulled the trigger." I no longer respond to posts that use it.

DanCar

Sun Nov 20, 2016 11:04 pm

LeftieBiker wrote:... Let me know if you want to take that bet officially.
Yes.

LeftieBiker

Sun Nov 20, 2016 11:31 pm

DanCar wrote:
Yes.

Ok. I guess we just post both our real names here (I don't know if yours is your name or not) and agree that this is a real bet and that we will honor it. Do you want any more specific terms? Michael Cerkowski
2013 "Brilliant Silver" SV with Premium Package and no QC, and 2009 Vectrix VX-1 with 18 Leaf cells.

The most offensive, tasteless phrase in use here is "Pulled the trigger." I no longer respond to posts that use it.

DanCar

Sun Nov 20, 2016 11:44 pm

LeftieBiker wrote:
DanCar wrote:
Yes.

Ok. I guess we just post both our real names here (I don't know if yours is your name or not) and agree that this is a real bet and that we will honor it. Do you want any more specific terms? Michael Cerkowski
Nice to virtually meet you Mike. My name is Daniel Cardenas.

LeftieBiker

Mon Nov 21, 2016 12:34 am

Likewise. Here's hoping that you win that bet. Do you have PayPal? I do.

jjeff
Delivery Date: 13 Jul 2014
Leaf Number: 422121

Mon Nov 21, 2016 6:08 am

Just sayin' you guys could PM, that way your real names wouldn't be out there for everyone to see :)
Just click on each others name and the option for PM comes up.

Anyone who thinks Trump can't be looking at the large picture as well as small are fooling themselves. Not that Trump personally will probably look into eliminating such subsidies but his staff sure will, and sooner than later. IMO thats why who he picks as cabinet members is almost more important than who he is or what view he personally has......
I too believe the $7500 tax credit will go away sooner than later although from most of the views in this thread it would seem many are OK with that. I do think to myself though, I just wonder how many who don't care about the tax credit actually purchased their EV new(and were eligible for the credit and the credit helped them decide to go EV) and how many just scooped up a steal of a deal on a used Leaf and their purchase decision had nothing to do with the credit and everything to do with the very low price......my guess is most who don't care about the credit are of the latter ;)
If EVs take off(and I'm not totally sold they will in the pure EV forum, although I believe Hybrids will still strive) it will have more to do with the early pioneers who paid list price(or very near like me) to purchase their Leaf and maybe got the tax credit and not so much for those who got their used Leafs for pennies on the dollar at the expense of someone else or Nissans expense.
In my neck of the woods I see tons of Priuses but very very few Leafs or other pure EVs. I see a few Volts but thats about it, lots more larger trucks and large SUVs dominate our roads and many people's reaction to my EV is, what they have to burn coal to power the power plants, how clean is that...... :|
2012 SL purchased used 2/'16
2013 S w/QC purchased new
Juicebox Premium 60a L1/L2 EVSE, Ebusbar 16a L1/L2 EVSE
'12 EVSEupgrade'd 20a L1/L2 EVSE, '13 EVSEupgrade'd adjustable 6-20a L2, 6-13a L1 EVSE
Zencar 13, 20, 30a L1/L2 portable EVSE
GE Durastation 30a

LTLFTcomposite
Delivery Date: 10 Dec 2011
Leaf Number: 5926

Mon Nov 21, 2016 6:23 am

jjeff wrote:If EVs take off(and I'm not totally sold they will in the pure EV forum, although I believe Hybrids will still strive) it will have more to do with the early pioneers who paid list price(or very near like me) to purchase their Leaf and maybe got the tax credit and not so much for those who got their used Leafs for pennies on the dollar at the expense of someone else or Nissans expense.
In my neck of the woods I see tons of Priuses but very very few Leafs or other pure EVs. I see a few Volts but thats about it, lots more larger trucks and large SUVs dominate our roads and many people's reaction to my EV is, what they have to burn coal to power the power plants, how clean is that...... :|

We've had the $7500 subsidy around for six years now and plugin vehicles are like 0.000000001% of the fleet. Good jahwb.
LTL
White 2012 SV delivered 10 Dec 2011 returned 25 Nov 2014 replaced with stopgap ICE Sentra
[35 months] [35K miles] [9 Bars]
2013 Volt replaced after 36 months/30k miles with ICE Rogue

jjeff
Delivery Date: 13 Jul 2014
Leaf Number: 422121

Mon Nov 21, 2016 7:57 am

LTLFTcomposite wrote:
jjeff wrote:If EVs take off(and I'm not totally sold they will in the pure EV forum, although I believe Hybrids will still strive) it will have more to do with the early pioneers who paid list price(or very near like me) to purchase their Leaf and maybe got the tax credit and not so much for those who got their used Leafs for pennies on the dollar at the expense of someone else or Nissans expense.

We've had the $7500 subsidy around for six years now and plugin vehicles are like 0.000000001% of the fleet. Good jahwb.

True, which goes to prove even a $7500 credit isn't going to make someone who wasn't already thinking of going EV to go that route but when you think of how many EVs were available 6 years ago compared to how many are available now, and that number is growing by the year, I'd say it may have helped in some way.
I'm not sure how many people considering purchasing a $80k Tesla would make(or made) their decision on a lowly $7500 tax credit but I'm guessing it may have made quite a bit of difference for someone looking at a $35k Leaf(in my case it sure did)....now as to whether this credit is still needed, that may be up to debate but as more and more $60k+ larger PHEVs get made and sold, the credit may not make as much difference as to whether one goes that route or ICE only and one may also wonder if giving someone a tax credit for purchasing such a large vehicle is really warranted. I think back to was it the Bush years?? when the Republicans gave purchasers of large 1 ton pigs a tax break for purchasing just such a large vehicle. I remember several neighbors did just that, instead of purchasing their normal 3/4 ton vehicles to pick up groceries and drive the kids around they upsized to a 1 ton, and got a tax break to boot! They were laughing all the way to the bank, curiosity of the Republicans in charge :? wasn't it called something like the Hummer tax break??
Now I do understand that tax break was mainly meant for businesses(as most Republican tax breaks are) but I personally know plenty of regular folks who took advantage of it and getting a tax credit for purchasing a larger less fuel efficient vehicle than they might normally have purchased......
2012 SL purchased used 2/'16
2013 S w/QC purchased new
Juicebox Premium 60a L1/L2 EVSE, Ebusbar 16a L1/L2 EVSE
'12 EVSEupgrade'd 20a L1/L2 EVSE, '13 EVSEupgrade'd adjustable 6-20a L2, 6-13a L1 EVSE
Zencar 13, 20, 30a L1/L2 portable EVSE
GE Durastation 30a

WetEV
Delivery Date: 16 Feb 2014

Mon Nov 21, 2016 9:21 am

LTLFTcomposite wrote:We've had the $7500 subsidy around for six years now and plugin vehicles are like 0.000000001% of the fleet. Good jahwb.

Might want to find the real number, rather than a truthiness made up number. Facts matter.

"It used to be, everyone was entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts. But that's not the case anymore. Facts matter not at all. Perception is everything." Stephen Colbert
WetEV
Most everything around here is wet during the rainy season. And the rainy season is long.
2012 Leaf SL Red (Totaled)
2014 Leaf SL Red

Return to “Off-Topic”