Is 98 degrees that hot for Los Angeles?.........

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jjeff

I was watching CBS Sunday Morning news this afternoon and they had a statistic that shocked me. They said that LA broke a 131 year record yesterday, getting to 98 degrees :? and the old record was 95 degrees in 1885.......what am I missing? I mean 98 would be hot for MN for sure but not unheard of, especially in July! Lately I've been reading about 120 degree temps near LV not thats hot! is LA that much cooler? I mean I thought they had multiple 100 degree days/year in LA......and if not in July then what time of the year is LAs hottest time?
My '12SL came from LA and is missing several bars, I just chalked it up to LA's hot temps, if 98 degrees beats a 131 year record I may just have to reassess why my Leaf's battery is so degraded.....

For West LA, that would be hot but that would be about it. Nearly every suburb around LA except the small handful on the coast have easily hit 100º

When they say that they usually mean for that particular date. Kind of a joke, 98 degrees in LA is certainly not unheard of at all.

davewill said:
When they say that they usually mean for that particular date. Kind of a joke, 98 degrees in LA is certainly not unheard of at all.

2nd this. Those "record breaking" temps are for that specific time of the year. July in LA isn't near the hottest time of the year. Usually, September/October are when those 100+ degree days occur (aka Indian summer). I imagine there will be new record highs as Autumn approaches.

davewill said:
When they say that they usually mean for that particular date.
Yep - this site appears to have the current data: http://www.laalmanac.com/weather/we04.php

Record high for July was 107 on July 1 1985. The all time record is 113 on Sept 27 2010.

While there are parts of LA where such temperatures are not uncommon, keep in mind that:

1. When they say "Los Angeles" temperatures, they're generally talking about downtown LA
2. LA's size and topography are such that it is not uncommon for there to be a 30 degree temperature difference between the coast and the furthest inland regions. In winter it's possible to ski in the mountains in the morning and enjoy the beach in the afternoon.

drees said:
davewill said:
Yep - this site appears to have the current data: http://www.laalmanac.com/weather/we04.php

Record high for July was 107 on July 1 1985. The all time record is 113 on Sept 27 2010.

Ahh, how could I have forgotten! We were at Disney (trying out new 2010 Prius) and it was in the upper 90's the entire time. We left to drive the coast back to WA on the 26th... Dodged the bullet big time!

drees said:
davewill said:

Interesting chart, so it seems LA doesn't necessarily get real hot, but the average temp is quite warm(doesn't get cold).
MSP can get hot but we rarely get the triple digits(maybe 3 to 4 times/decade??) and I believe 8-10 times/year for 90+ degree days, almost always in July or August. We do get quite cold though. Single digits and single digits below zero are not uncommon in Jan and Feb with maybe 3 to 4 days/year below -10F, -20F is quite rare in MSP(maybe 3 to 4/decade) but quite common(dozen/year??) 250 miles to the North near the Canadian border. This is good for me as in the single digits the Leafs range is reduced a fair amount and single digits below zero it's really reduced, teens below zero can easily cut the range in half and I don't think we've had a -20F day since getting the Leaf, although I bet the range would be lucky to get out of the 20s for miles, even with a full charge :(
Now Las Vegas and areas around it get hot, I believe they've had 120 degree days this year, now thats hot! of course it's a desert area, which LA is not.

LA doesn't get as humid as the Midwest or east coast so 90 degrees here doesn't feel as hot as 90 degrees elsewhere.

Also, the far northern part of LA County is just as desert-y as Vegas, and triple digit summer temperatures are common.

jjeff said:
... Interesting chart, so it seems LA doesn't necessarily get real hot, but the average temp is quite warm(doesn't get cold). ...
I usually describe the climate by saying that a 70 degree day would not be considered unusual at any time of the year.

Back