mwalsh
Delivery Date: 05 Jan 2011
Leaf Number: 0213

Anyone into regular cycling?

Mon Jul 10, 2017 1:03 pm

How about regular cycling? I started doing about 30 minutes worth (8 miles) daily on this bad-boy about two months ago, in addition to the 45-55 minute jog on my treadmill each morning I've always done:

Though about buying a folder and leaving it in the trunk but glad I didn't now - I've seen one or two on the bike trail and they really look kinda silly in that context. Fits in the back of the LEAF fine with the rear seats down and even better with the front wheel off (fitted with quick release skewers, so easy enough).

Only battery power involved is from the 357 button cells inside the cyclometer.

Determined to lose a little weight between now and next spring! Appears to be coming off at the rate of about 0.5lb per week.
2011 Blue Ocean SL with 71,000 miles.
2015 pack under warranty 12/30/15.
Tinted windows.
Michelin MXV4 tires.
L1 EVSE upgrade.
FIAMM horns.
Superbright LED lighting.
2013 sun visors.
LED shifter.
Heated seats.
GT-R map lamp lenses.
AV L2 EVSE.

GRA

Re: Anyone into regular cycling?

Mon Jul 10, 2017 5:20 pm

mwalsh wrote:How about regular cycling? I started doing about 30 minutes worth (8 miles) daily on this bad-boy about two months ago, in addition to the 45-55 minute jog on my treadmill each morning I've always done: <snip photo>

Though about buying a folder and leaving it in the trunk but glad I didn't now - I've seen one or two on the bike trail and they really look kinda silly in that context. Fits in the back of the LEAF fine with the rear seats down and even better with the front wheel off (fitted with quick release skewers, so easy enough).

Only battery power involved is from the 357 button cells inside the cyclometer.

Determined to lose a little weight between now and next spring! Appears to be coming off at the rate of about 0.5lb per week.

Are you riding on pavement or dirt? If the former, get yourself some street tires, preferably a bit narrower if your rims can take them. A lot quieter and smoother, less energy too (although you' re trying to burn calories). I like the Continental Gatorskin (in 700C x 32) for my commute/errand hybrid, but there's lots of similar tires out there: http://www.continental-tires.com/bicycl ... /gatorskin

For the typical cracked/potholed/sewer-grated/railroad-tracked/uneven-gutter-seamed urban surface street I don't like to go narrower than 32mm (1.25"), and lots of people use 36s or 38s, but plenty of people use road bikes with 28s or 25s.

If you really want to burn calories, ride hills. Depending how disciplined you are (if you're using the treadmill daily, you're probably pretty good), try to use the bike for errands instead of just 'exercising'. Anything between .5 - 3 miles one way for sure, and up to 5 one way is reasonable for most people. Beyond that you're starting to eat up a lot more time.
Last edited by GRA on Tue Jul 11, 2017 5:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Guy [I have lots of experience designing/selling off-grid AE systems, some using EVs but don't own one. Local trips are by foot, bike and/or rapid transit].

The 'best' is the enemy of 'good enough'. Copper shot, not Silver bullets.

LeftieBiker
Delivery Date: 31 May 2013

Mon Jul 10, 2017 8:24 pm

I rode a regular mountain bike (on the road, mainly) before bad knee and ailing health got me into the electrics. Still, I find that my EZIP lets me burn quite a few calories/grams of carbohydrate without the pain. On the mountain bike I'd regularly but not weekly do about 15 miles, with occasional 15 mile rides added. With the EZIP I do about 30-40 miles a week.
2013 "Brilliant Silver" SV with Premium Package and no QC, and 2009 Vectrix VX-1 with 18 Leaf cells.

The most offensive, tasteless phrase in use here is "Pulled the trigger." I no longer respond to posts that use it.

Stoaty
Gold Member
Delivery Date: 12 Jun 2011
Leaf Number: 3871

Tue Jul 11, 2017 6:27 am

Yes, here is my bike. I have been riding recumbent bikes for the last 15-20 years.

Bacchetta.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2011 Leaf with 62,000 miles given to Nephew
2013 Tesla Model S85 with 251 miles rated range at full charge
Leaf Spy Manual
Battery Aging Model Spreadsheet

GetOffYourGas
Delivery Date: 09 Mar 2012

Tue Jul 11, 2017 7:11 am

I used to get a lot more time on a bike, before I had kids. I would commute / run errands on a road bike and hit the trails 2-3x a week on a mountain bike. Now I'm lucky to go mountain biking once a month. Errands involve the whole family, so I take the Leaf. And my commute should be on a bike, but frankly I'm often too tired to ride.

I definitely second Guy's recommendation for smoother tires for road riding. It is an easier, quieter, and more comfortable ride. It also gives you much better control in the turns. I use a skinny tire (25mm), but it's rough on the more frost-heaved parts of the road. I'm willing to take the cost of extra vigilance for the benefit of increased performance. YMMV.
~Brian

EV Fleet:
2011 Torqeedo Travel 1003 electric outboard on a 22' sailboat
2012 Leaf SV (traded for Bolt)
2015 C-Max Energi (302A package)
2017 Bolt Premier

mwalsh

Tue Jul 11, 2017 8:32 am

I may change out to some street tires when these are worn out, but for now I like the fatter tires for precisely the reason GRA points out - burning more calories! :D
Tinted windows.
Michelin MXV4 tires.
L1 EVSE upgrade.
FIAMM horns.
2013 sun visors.
LED shifter.
Heated seats.
GT-R map lamp lenses.
AV L2 EVSE.

LeftieBiker

Tue Jul 11, 2017 1:11 pm

I've used both slick LR tires and almost full knobbies for road riding. My preference is for a tread that's more like an all-season car tread. You want some grip in dirt available, because there's usually a lot of dirt close to the pavement.
2013 "Brilliant Silver" SV with Premium Package and no QC, and 2009 Vectrix VX-1 with 18 Leaf cells.

The most offensive, tasteless phrase in use here is "Pulled the trigger." I no longer respond to posts that use it.

mwalsh

Tue Jul 11, 2017 2:00 pm

LeftieBiker wrote:I've used both slick LR tires and almost full knobbies for road riding. My preference is for a tread that's more like an all-season car tread. You want some grip in dirt available, because there's usually a lot of dirt close to the pavement.

I was forced into the dirt (by what I suspect was a drug deal) along the MUT yesterday - three guys taking up the whole paved part of trail while discussing their "business". Probably silly to do so but I yelled "Don't mind me!" in the most sarcastic voice I could muster as I went by. Was glad of my nubby tires. :D

Don't get me started on some of the homeless on certain parts of the Santa Ana River Trail. Haven't had any real problems with them other than a general disrespect for those of us who use it for the intended purpose, but the whole setup is generally unsightly and probably unsafe at certain times of the day.
Tinted windows.
Michelin MXV4 tires.
L1 EVSE upgrade.
FIAMM horns.
2013 sun visors.
LED shifter.
Heated seats.
GT-R map lamp lenses.
AV L2 EVSE.

abasile
Forum Supporter
Delivery Date: 20 Apr 2011

Tue Jul 11, 2017 3:33 pm

One of the things I like about living in the San Bernardino Mountains is the great mountain and road cycling opportunities. Mountain roads have their dangers, but not having to deal with many intersections is a real plus. Most of the close calls I've had while cycling have been in or around road intersections. I haven't had too many scares up here. On the other hand, I try to avoid the main highways during peak visitation and traffic periods.
2011 LEAF at 71K miles, pre-owned 2012 Tesla S 85 at 98K miles
LEAF battery: 9/12 bars and < 49 Ah (-28% vs. new)
Tesla battery: 250+ miles of range (-5% vs. new)

LeftieBiker

Tue Jul 11, 2017 4:07 pm

I never ride on city streets or main highways during peak traffic hours anymore. I have a nice rural route. Even that isn't really safe...

Return to “Off-Topic”