Page 2 of 3

Re: Nissan LEAF Sales for September

Posted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 1:57 pm
by LeftieBiker
OrientExpress wrote:Nissan planned on being sold out of 2016 and 2017 cars by November of this year, with limited availability of the 2018 car starting in December. They sold out as planned, but as things happen in a model transition, the production start was delayed, so limited availability will now start in late January with wide availability probably by the end of March. Nissan's biggest markets for EVs will get LEAFs first, with the rest starting in March.
Does Nissan yet realize that their US sales and especially leases are going to be very slow because of the Federal tax credit going away early? If I were them I'd be desperately trying to come up with a way to lease the 2018 Leaf before 12/31/17. I don't especially want a Bolt, but that's what I'll be leasing if Nissan doesn't get on the ball tomorrow.

Re: Nissan LEAF Sales for September

Posted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 5:20 pm
by SageBrush
LeftieBiker wrote:
OrientExpress wrote:Nissan planned on being sold out of 2016 and 2017 cars by November of this year, with limited availability of the 2018 car starting in December. They sold out as planned, but as things happen in a model transition, the production start was delayed, so limited availability will now start in late January with wide availability probably by the end of March. Nissan's biggest markets for EVs will get LEAFs first, with the rest starting in March.
Does Nissan yet realize that their US sales and especially leases are going to be very slow because of the Federal tax credit going away early? If I were them I'd be desperately trying to come up with a way to lease the 2018 Leaf before 12/31/17. I don't especially want a Bolt, but that's what I'll be leasing if Nissan doesn't get on the ball tomorrow.
The Repub tax plan is general misery. Don't hold your breath on it becoming law.

Re: Nissan LEAF Sales for September

Posted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 11:05 pm
by Evoforce
SageBrush wrote:
LeftieBiker wrote:
OrientExpress wrote:Nissan planned on being sold out of 2016 and 2017 cars by November of this year, with limited availability of the 2018 car starting in December. They sold out as planned, but as things happen in a model transition, the production start was delayed, so limited availability will now start in late January with wide availability probably by the end of March. Nissan's biggest markets for EVs will get LEAFs first, with the rest starting in March.
Does Nissan yet realize that their US sales and especially leases are going to be very slow because of the Federal tax credit going away early? If I were them I'd be desperately trying to come up with a way to lease the 2018 Leaf before 12/31/17. I don't especially want a Bolt, but that's what I'll be leasing if Nissan doesn't get on the ball tomorrow.
The Repub tax plan is general misery. Don't hold your breath on it becoming law.
Maybe this revision won't pass, but they have to throw rich campaign donors a bone for the 2018 elections, so I expect something will pass.

Re: Nissan LEAF Sales for September

Posted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 7:08 am
by DaveinOlyWA
the tax thing is coming no matter what... so we are delaying the inevitable. Soon Tesla, Nissan and Chevy will be up to $7500 more than VW, Chrysler and BMW

Re: Nissan LEAF Sales for September

Posted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 7:29 am
by SageBrush
DaveinOlyWA wrote:the tax thing is coming no matter what... so we are delaying the inevitable. Soon Tesla, Nissan and Chevy will be up to $7500 more than VW, Chrysler and BMW
Only if you give up and do not fight the corporate/rich tax giveaway

Re: Nissan LEAF Sales for September

Posted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 7:33 am
by DaveinOlyWA
SageBrush wrote:
DaveinOlyWA wrote:the tax thing is coming no matter what... so we are delaying the inevitable. Soon Tesla, Nissan and Chevy will be up to $7500 more than VW, Chrysler and BMW
Only if you give up and do not fight the corporate/rich tax giveaway
Never give up. Have been lobbying my reps to change EV incentives to a specified number applicable to all manufacturers so laggards either get on the stick or miss out. Then a ramp down period for all that is independent of sales figures during the ramp down.

Re: Nissan LEAF Sales for September

Posted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 1:22 pm
by LeftieBiker
The tax credit as written was flawed, but at least it had a solid timetable - manufacturers and consumers knew when it would go away. Axing it now will cause lots of unnecessary harm just to score political points on the Right.

Re: Nissan LEAF Sales for September

Posted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 3:44 am
by cwerdna
It's incredible how many sales/leases Bolt managed in October 2017. I wonder if it'll remain above 2K units/month thru end of year. And, I wonder how much it might slow once '18 Leaf is available in the US.

Re: Nissan LEAF Sales for September

Posted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 7:59 am
by jhm614
cwerdna wrote:It's incredible how many sales/leases Bolt managed in October 2017. I wonder if it'll remain above 2K units/month thru end of year. And, I wonder how much it might slow once '18 Leaf is available in the US.
I think the Bolt will be number one again in November with better than last month's sales. It will be number two or three in December behind the Model S and maybe the Model X (because of the way Tesla packs the last month of the quarter with sales). But there still might be a new sales record in December for the Bolt, even if it comes in second. December is always a big selling month because of buyers minimizing the wait for the tax credit benefit. And it will be doubly so this year with the possible tax credit elimination hanging out there.

Unfortunately, we won't get a good handle on how Leaf 2.0 impacts sales until Q2 or maybe early Q3 of next year. There is always a huge drop off in January and February, plus the Leaf will probably ramp up over a 3 or 4-month period.

Re: Nissan LEAF Sales for September

Posted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:03 am
by OrientExpress
The only reason that Bolt sales in October were at the volume they were is that GM was selling them at about a $6K loss to balance their inventory, especially on the west coast.

As of November they now have their Bolt inventories back to the way they want, so most of the incentives are now gone. The downside of the Bolt fire sale is that the Volt inventories are now in the same situation that Bolt sales were this summer.

With LEAF 2 sales starting in January, and the Bolt incentives gone for now, it is doubtful that GM will be able to maintain their Bolt sales momentum without returning to massive incentives again.