cwerdna
Delivery Date: 28 Jul 2013

TV brands vs. who actually makes them

Thu Jan 25, 2018 11:55 pm

Came across https://www.consumerreports.org/lcd-led ... they-seem/ in my Facebook feed today.

Story has an interesting table of common TV brands vs. who makes them. I knew about Sharp having Hisense making their TVs as Sharp was not making $ in that business. Didn't know the details of most of others (e.g. JVC, RCA, Polaroid, ProScan (formerly RCA's premium brand), etc.)

Too bad it doesn't say anything about who supplies the LCD or OLED panels to these brands.

'13 Leaf SV w/premium package (owned)
'13 Leaf SV w/QC + LED & premium packages (lease over, car returned)
'06 Prius

Please don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

LeftieBiker
Delivery Date: 31 May 2013

Re: TV brands vs. who actually makes them

Fri Jan 26, 2018 12:30 am

Funai Conquers World...I had a couple of their VCRs back in the 90's, and they were Crap. I knew about Polaroid being a Trump style branding operation that made nothing, but I'd lost track of other brands. Now, I assume that LG is still made by...LG?

I have a Marantz compact stereo system in my garage. I bought it in...1978? I have a Sanyo quasi-component system in my bedroom that I bought in 1986 or so, an actual component system I put together in the early Nineties, and have a still-working Sony Super Beta VCR. I still think Beta was the better format...
Scarlet Ember 2018 Leaf SL W/ Pro Pilot
2009 Vectrix VX-1 W/18 Leaf modules, & 3 EZIP E-bicycles.
PLEASE don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

cwerdna

Fri Jan 26, 2018 12:34 am

LeftieBiker wrote:Now, I assume that LG is still made by...LG?

I guess. Also, for those who might not remember/realize, LG was formerly known as Goldstar or Lucky Goldstar. Some folks probably remember Goldstar's mediocre TVs and monitors back in the day...

'06 Prius

Please don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

LeftieBiker

Fri Jan 26, 2018 4:01 am

Yes, I remember. I never made the connection with LG.
PLEASE don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

cwerdna

Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:35 am

LeftieBiker wrote:Yes, I remember. I never made the connection with LG.

For those curious, it's mentioned at http://www.lgcorp.com/about/history3.dev. Earlier pages there make all sorts of references to Goldstar.

It was obviously a good marketing move by them to ditch the Goldstar name.

'06 Prius

EVDRIVER

Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:41 am

LeftieBiker wrote:Funai Conquers World...I had a couple of their VCRs back in the 90's, and they were Crap. I knew about Polaroid being a Trump style branding operation that made nothing, but I'd lost track of other brands. Now, I assume that LG is still made by...LG?

I have a Marantz compact stereo system in my garage. I bought it in...1978? I have a Sanyo quasi-component system in my bedroom that I bought in 1986 or so, an actual component system I put together in the early Nineties, and have a still-working Sony Super Beta VCR. I still think Beta was the better format...

Marantz has a long and interesting history, today they are part of D&M holdings which has Denon, Definitive and others. Marantz share architecture with Denon but the designs are different and so are the components. It's a good brand and product.
Forum Moderator

IssacZachary
Forum Supporter
Delivery Date: 15 Nov 2016
Leaf Number: 420789

Fri Jan 26, 2018 12:07 pm

I wish there were a company that sold CRT televisions with RGB ports in the USA.

I don't know which is more dangerous. Me modifying my television to accept an RGB signal or me modifying the traction battery on my Leaf. :shock:
2013 SL SOLD :cry:
1972 VW Beetle SOLD :cry:
1984 VW Golf diesel CURRENT :x
2013 Toyota Avalon Hybrid CONTEMPLATING :shock:

LeftieBiker

Fri Jan 26, 2018 2:00 pm

Just don't try to modify the television to accept input from your traction battery.

Marantz has a long and interesting history, today they are part of D&M holdings which has Denon, Definitive and others. Marantz share architecture with Denon but the designs are different and so are the components. It's a good brand and product.

My little "system" is actually "Sound Design - by Marantz" IIRC.

cmwade77
Delivery Date: 15 Nov 2017

Mon Jan 29, 2018 3:30 pm

For me, I will stick with Vizio and buying them on Amazon for all of my TVs and here is why:
We bought a TV back in March of 2014 from Amazon and then last year it died with a popping sound. Obviously we were well past any warranty period and did not buy the extended warranty, but we called Vizio to find out how much it would cost to have it repaired, to our shock they offered to repair it for free as long as we signed a statement saying we understood this was a one time offer. Amazon was willing to help us speak with the manufacturer if necessary, but really we didn't need them at all, Vizio just made the offer.

Not only did they repair it, they had a technician come out to our house to do so and they sent him two different parts, as it could have been either part and he opted to put both parts in rather than spend time figuring out which part it was, essentially meaning that aside from the case we have a brand new TV because of the parts they were.

I have a friend who had a Sharp TV that they bought from best Buy for 15 months and it did something similar, neither Sharp or Best Buy were willing to do anything to help. I have had other friends with similar issues with other manufacturers as well, so this is why I will stick with Vizio and buying from Amazon.

cmwade77
Delivery Date: 15 Nov 2017

Mon Jan 29, 2018 3:32 pm

IssacZachary wrote:I wish there were a company that sold CRT televisions with RGB ports in the USA.

I don't know which is more dangerous. Me modifying my television to accept an RGB signal or me modifying the traction battery on my Leaf. :shock:

There are LED TVs that will accept RGB signals, but good luck even finding a CRT TV in the U.S., even at a thrift store these days.

Oh and modifying the TV is probably more dangerous.

Return to “Off-Topic”