RonDawg
Delivery Date: 11 Jan 2013
Leaf Number: 027089

Re: TV brands vs. who actually makes them

Mon Jan 29, 2018 7:20 pm

cmwade77 wrote:
IssacZachary wrote:I wish there were a company that sold CRT televisions with RGB ports in the USA.

I don't know which is more dangerous. Me modifying my television to accept an RGB signal or me modifying the traction battery on my Leaf. :shock:

There are LED TVs that will accept RGB signals, but good luck even finding a CRT TV in the U.S., even at a thrift store these days.

If low-price stores like K-Mart and Walmart are any indication, the cheapest TV's you can buy are all at least 720p, and no CRT's at all. With flat panels being dirt cheap now, it would actually cost more money to stock CRT's simply due to their weight and bulk. You can fit a lot more flat panel TV's into a multi-modal shipping container than CRT's.

Oh and modifying the TV is probably more dangerous.

There are inexpensive adapters that let you plug old RGB devices into HDMI ports if you really need to.
Blue Ocean 2012 Leaf SV, lost that 1st bar at 34 months/26,435 miles. Lease returned 2 months later. Final LeafStat figures: 225 Gids, 17.44 kWH, SOC 91.89%, SOH 82.36%, 69.49% HX, 54.57 Ahr, battery temp 61.8 F.
Now driving a 2015 VW eGolf SEL.

IssacZachary
Forum Supporter
Delivery Date: 15 Nov 2016
Leaf Number: 420789

Mon Jan 29, 2018 7:44 pm

RonDawg wrote:
cmwade77 wrote:
IssacZachary wrote:I wish there were a company that sold CRT televisions with RGB ports in the USA.

I don't know which is more dangerous. Me modifying my television to accept an RGB signal or me modifying the traction battery on my Leaf. :shock:

There are LED TVs that will accept RGB signals, but good luck even finding a CRT TV in the U.S., even at a thrift store these days.

If low-price stores like K-Mart and Walmart are any indication, the cheapest TV's you can buy are all at least 720p, and no CRT's at all. With flat panels being dirt cheap now, it would actually cost more money to stock CRT's simply due to their weight and bulk. You can fit a lot more flat panel TV's into a multi-modal shipping container than CRT's.

Oh and modifying the TV is probably more dangerous.

There are inexpensive adapters that let you plug old RGB devices into HDMI ports if you really need to.

The whole and nearly only reason for owning a CRT nowadays would be to eliminate frame lag, something that is part of any flat screen TV or analog to digital converter. Which is important with certain retro video games. (For an example, Duck Hunt on Nintendo won't work on a flat screen because of the frame lag.)

Anyhow, I guess I've derailed this thread enough! But thanks!
2013 SL SOLD :cry:
1972 VW Beetle SOLD :cry:
1984 VW Golf diesel CURRENT :x
2013 Toyota Avalon Hybrid CONTEMPLATING :shock:

cwerdna
Delivery Date: 28 Jul 2013

Mon Jan 29, 2018 8:27 pm

IssacZachary wrote:The whole and nearly only reason for owning a CRT nowadays would be to eliminate frame lag, something that is part of any flat screen TV or analog to digital converter. Which is important with certain retro video games. (For an example, Duck Hunt on Nintendo won't work on a flat screen because of the frame lag.)

I doubt input lag is the reason for Duck Hunt not working on LCDs. LCDs do not have electron guns that CRTs have, which scan the picture from top to bottom twice (due to interlacing) to form a picture (by shooting electrons at the inside of a picture tube that's phosphor coated). AFAIK, the gun used w/the NES operated in a similar way to the way light pens worked.

https://www.howtogeek.com/181303/htg-ex ... n-new-tvs/ looks like a decent explanation.

'13 Leaf SV w/premium package (owned)
'13 Leaf SV w/QC + LED & premium packages (lease over, car returned)
'06 Prius

Please don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

IssacZachary
Forum Supporter
Delivery Date: 15 Nov 2016
Leaf Number: 420789

Mon Jan 29, 2018 9:13 pm

cwerdna wrote:
IssacZachary wrote:The whole and nearly only reason for owning a CRT nowadays would be to eliminate frame lag, something that is part of any flat screen TV or analog to digital converter. Which is important with certain retro video games. (For an example, Duck Hunt on Nintendo won't work on a flat screen because of the frame lag.)

I doubt input lag is the reason for Duck Hunt not working on LCDs. LCDs do not have electron guns that CRTs have, which scan the picture from top to bottom twice (due to interlacing) to form a picture (by shooting electrons at the inside of a picture tube that's phosphor coated). AFAIK, the gun used w/the NES operated in a similar way to the way light pens worked.

https://www.howtogeek.com/181303/htg-ex ... n-new-tvs/ looks like a decent explanation.

That article is close, but still a bit off.

Some zapper gun systems on other videogame consoles did use complex algorythms to make use of CRT scan lines. But the Nintendo zapper gun was very simple and only saw the black and white flashes on the screen. The problem is input lag. Any HD TV will be at least two frames behind a CRT. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RAi8AVj9GV8
2013 SL SOLD :cry:
1972 VW Beetle SOLD :cry:
1984 VW Golf diesel CURRENT :x
2013 Toyota Avalon Hybrid CONTEMPLATING :shock:

cmwade77
Delivery Date: 15 Nov 2017

Tue Jan 30, 2018 11:32 am

cwerdna wrote:

Here is an article about how to make a device that does allow the light gun to be used on an LCD TV:
https://blog.hackster.io/the-lcdzapper- ... 846e7db9aa

Stanton
Delivery Date: 01 Sep 2011
Leaf Number: 7458

Tue Jan 30, 2018 1:42 pm

cwerdna wrote:Too bad it doesn't say anything about who supplies the LCD or OLED panels to these brands.

LG makes every OLED panel sold today; both Sony and Panasonic incorporate LG panels in their OLED TVs.
I have one of the first flat OLEDs ever made (65EF9500) and it still looks amazing. :P
2011 Blue Ocean SV w/floor mats & window tint
12v LiFePO4 battery & FIAMM 74100 horns
Wet Okole seat covers (front)
Tor's low-power heater mod
2013 sun visor
3G modem upgrade
L2 EVSE Upgrade
Battery Pack replaced (Rev E) @51 months and 41k miles

Return to “Off-Topic”