davewill

Re: Is the EV the end of DIY?

Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:17 pm

RegGuheert wrote:
IssacZachary wrote:I think I'm going to just give it to my mother-in-law.
Not enough range for her, either, huh? ;)

I figure she must live just outside the car's present range...
2014 Rav4 EV, Blizzard Pearl White
2011 LEAF SL w/QC, Blue Ocean, returned at end of lease

goldbrick
Delivery Date: 01 Aug 2017
Leaf Number: 311806

Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:32 pm

IssacZachary wrote: But what do I do with it now?

There's a guy in Boulder looking for a Leaf and he claims all he wants is 40 miles of range.

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=25278

cmwade77
Delivery Date: 15 Nov 2017

Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:31 pm

Honestly, I would say it is just the opposite, I think the EV is going to usher in a return to DIY for a lot of people, because they will find they can get the car just the way they want it.

Yes, there is going to be a little bit of risk with the high voltages, but ultimately watch videos on the safety of handling them and follow the precautions closely.

SageBrush
Delivery Date: 13 Feb 2017

Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:52 pm

goldbrick wrote:
IssacZachary wrote: But what do I do with it now?

There's a guy in Boulder looking for a Leaf and he claims all he wants is 40 miles of range.

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=25278

He also is looking for the cheapest possible.

This thread strikes me as a reaction to OP's inability to sell his LEAF at the price he wants. He jumped into the EV pool with a lot of enthusiasm but not a whole lot of consideration, and wrongly figured he could climb out easily if the car did not work out.
IIRC, he paid $10k a year ago and received a $2k tax credit. Close to the same time I bought a very similar car albeit with a healthier battery for $8300 and also received the tax credit. We both live in areas where EVs are rare cars and demand is quite low.

The biggest difference between us though is that OP bought a car that was a reach from the get go for his driving and when circumstances changed for him the LEAF became inadequate overnight. My LEAF is our second car, used from day #1 for local duties. I did buy a 240v mobile EVSE as insurance and some "piece of mind" but the car is simply not ever going to be asked to be a general purpose car. I did have to agitate for over a year to finally uncover a charging method near work as a back-up, but that was always plan 'D' anyway.

This is not an EV specific issue, it is a LEAF issue. And more specifically it is a locale and OP issue. Rather than turn on EVs, I suggest he put more effort into finding or making happen an L2 charge point at his new destination. Such is the reality of buying a very range limited EV in an area with minimal charging infrastructure.

"Hacking" the car to make it work for him is just not going to happen. It sounds sexy and all and attempts to move blame to the car but it really is besides the point and completely impractical. Perhaps the gentler way to frame this is that OP has to "hack" the EV charging infrastructure. Knock on doors. Use the new employer's connections. Focus on extending the LEAF in ways that have a better chance of success.
2013 Model 'S' with QC & rear-view camera
Bought off-lease Jan 2017 from N. California
Car is now enjoying an easy life in Colorado
3/2018: 58 Ahr, 28k miles

IssacZachary
Forum Supporter
Delivery Date: 15 Nov 2016
Leaf Number: 420789

Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:50 am

SageBrush wrote:He also is looking for the cheapest possible.

This thread strikes me as a reaction to OP's inability to sell his LEAF at the price he wants. He jumped into the EV pool with a lot of enthusiasm but not a whole lot of consideration, and wrongly figured he could climb out easily if the car did not work out.
IIRC, he paid $10k a year ago and received a $2k tax credit. Close to the same time I bought a very similar car albeit with a healthier battery for $8300 and also received the tax credit. We both live in areas where EVs are rare cars and demand is quite low.

The biggest difference between us though is that OP bought a car that was a reach from the get go for his driving and when circumstances changed for him the LEAF became inadequate overnight. My LEAF is our second car, used from day #1 for local duties. I did buy a 240v mobile EVSE as insurance and some "piece of mind" but the car is simply not ever going to be asked to be a general purpose car. I did have to agitate for over a year to finally uncover a charging method near work as a back-up, but that was always plan 'D' anyway.

This is not an EV specific issue, it is a LEAF issue. And more specifically it is a locale and OP issue. Rather than turn on EVs, I suggest he put more effort into finding or making happen an L2 charge point at his new destination. Such is the reality of buying a very range limited EV in an area with minimal charging infrastructure.

"Hacking" the car to make it work for him is just not going to happen. It sounds sexy and all and attempts to move blame to the car but it really is besides the point and completely impractical. Perhaps the gentler way to frame this is that OP has to "hack" the EV charging infrastructure. Knock on doors. Use the new employer's connections. Focus on extending the LEAF in ways that have a better chance of success.

Yes, yes, yes, maybe, and yes.

Now I don't mean to be belly aching about EV's or Leafs. I guess I do sound like that. In reality I love my Leaf. But I also love my job. I guess they are like two beautiful single interested women and having to chose which one to marry.

But still I do believe there is a bit of truth in that newer cars, EV's and hybrids in particular, are becoming less friendly for the DIY'er. And I'm not the only one who would love to be able to work on his own EV. Many people would love to drop a 40 to 60 kWh pack into their pre-2018 Leaf. Is it technically possible to do so? Yes, it has been done in certain ways with certain pros and cons. Price may be one of them.

Who knows what type of aftermarket parts will be available in the future. There is the Engineer pack already. But it just seems that whereas you can take an ICEV and drop a bigger engine into it, or a hot cam, or a bigger exhaust, you can't just drop in a bigger battery into an EV. At least the OEM's aren't cooperating. After all the world is becoming more and more a throwaway society. If we could upgrade our Leafs with $5,000 40kWh packs that would be awesome! But not even the 30kWh batteries are compatible, even though they bolt up and plug right in.
2013 SL 50,000 miles.
12 bars until 44,300 miles on June 2, 2017. :D
11 bars current. :)
The Nissan Leaf is the fourth best long distance car for highway driving. >>Best Long Distance Cars<<

LeftieBiker
Delivery Date: 31 May 2013

Wed Feb 14, 2018 1:22 am

The first time I looked at a normally aspirated 1.5L Civic engine, with its seeming miles of vacuum hoses and serpentine belts, and terrible access, I gave up DIY engine repairs. (I had been the star of my High School auto shop classes.) The issue isn't that EVs are too complex, but it's that they require a largely different skill set than ICE cars. Kids coming up now will have no trouble with them.
Scarlet Ember 2018 Leaf SL W/ Pro Pilot
2009 Vectrix VX-1 W/18 Leaf modules, & 3 EZIP E-bicycles.
PLEASE don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

IssacZachary
Forum Supporter
Delivery Date: 15 Nov 2016
Leaf Number: 420789

Wed Feb 14, 2018 1:57 pm

LeftieBiker wrote:The first time I looked at a normally aspirated 1.5L Civic engine, with its seeming miles of vacuum hoses and serpentine belts, and terrible access, I gave up DIY engine repairs. (I had been the star of my High School auto shop classes.) The issue isn't that EVs are too complex, but it's that they require a largely different skill set than ICE cars. Kids coming up now will have no trouble with them.

I would think I understand how an EV works much better than most kids. Most kids know nothing of what voltage, current, resitance and power really mean. And kids these days know nothing of computer programing either. Back in the days of DOS you had to make a lot of your own programs to run a computer. Now kids just download apps.

The main thing is safety. How many kids are going to short circuit themselves on a 400V battery that's capable of shooting out well over a thousand amps for a split second! Lots of rubber mats and work with your left hand tied behind your back.

This is a lot different than an ICE for sure. Everything in an ICE is about tolerances. So it's all about measuring, measuring, measuring and remeasuring, whereas on an EV it would be triple checking your high voltages are secure and isolated before applying any tools or wires to them, and even keeping low voltages secure too since even one cell shorted out could mean a complete disaster! Then programming things to check voltages, currents and temperatures for safety checks and disconnects.
2013 SL 50,000 miles.
12 bars until 44,300 miles on June 2, 2017. :D
11 bars current. :)
The Nissan Leaf is the fourth best long distance car for highway driving. >>Best Long Distance Cars<<

LeftieBiker
Delivery Date: 31 May 2013

Wed Feb 14, 2018 2:13 pm

I'm not talking about ALL kids somehow having an instinct for working on EVs. I'm talking about those with an interest in them not having trouble because they've been eased into EVs at an early age.
Scarlet Ember 2018 Leaf SL W/ Pro Pilot
2009 Vectrix VX-1 W/18 Leaf modules, & 3 EZIP E-bicycles.
PLEASE don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

Return to “Off-Topic”