What3Words

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RegGuheert

This article at CleanTechnica discusses a new global location system.

The video makes it sound wonderful, but when I downloaded the app and tried it, it shows me at my neighbor's house approximately 200 meters from here. Since I've never had any application fail to show my location within a few feet of here, I have to wonder if their maps are offset somehow. If that is the case, how can I possibly use the app or any three words? It makes the whole thing useless to me.

Also, the words appear to have been randomly assigned. As a result, any typos lead to a loacation somewhere completely different rather than one square away.

O.K. I just tried this with the children using several Android phones and it works great! We tried several tests including a blind test and we were able to find the exact location. This might come in handy this weekend when some of us will be away from home and will get separated. It allows others to find you even if you do not know where you are (assuming you can send a text message).

My iPad still doesn't work properly. Location services are on and permissions are in place, but it doesn't seem to be able to find itself. I'll have to try to find out how to reset it...

Back