Nissan dealership bricked my 2015 Rogue

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vrwl

I apologize in advance for the long post...

A month ago, we purchased a pre-owned 2015 Nissan Rogue that only had 1 key fob. Since it’s a pain in the rear to remember to swap keys on a regular basis, last week I took the Rogue and the functional 1 fob we owned to get a second fob.

After waiting a hour, the service guy came out and asked me if I had any anti theft devices installed on my car. I said no, but explained that it was newly purchased, so I wasn’t positive. He went on to explain that when they tried to program the fob, the car “acted like it was a stolen car” and killed our existing fob as well as killing the programming in the car. I showed him the Carfax report on the car which said the car had never been in any accidents and had a clean report, and I know it wasn’t stolen because we just received the clean, clear title from the state.

Well, he was stumped over what happened. He said they’d open a case with Nissan about this and an hour later, sent me home with a loaner. 5 days later, I still hadn’t heard anything from them and so I called. They were still waiting to hear from Nissan. Nothing had been done.

In the meantime, a mechanic friend of ours said they screwed up the programming of the new fob and that’s what bricked my car and the original fob.

So I’m looking for advice on what my next steps should be... call the dealership again? Call Nissan directly to see what’s happening with the case that was started with them? Wait patiently until it’s finally resolved?

I’m very frustrated over this. I brought them a functional car and fob and they have ruined both.

They should fix it as they broke it. I would post this on a Nissan car forum to get possible similar experiences.

^agreed. This seems pretty straightforward to me and if they give you any grief I would escalate it until you get a better result.

vrwl said:
I brought them a functional car and fob and they have ruined both.
says it all.

I agree with the last two posters...
vrwl said:
I REALLY don’t want to pay for all the extra time they have spent on fixing this problem
...and I would add, you shouldn't have to pay for anything at all. At this point, they should be giving you the new fob at no cost.

You can call Nissan Customer Service to get them involved, and see if it speeds things along, but you are stuck waiting for the dealer to fix the problem. They messed up what should have been a simple process. The FOB should be just fine. The FOB is not programmed, the car is programmed to recognize the FOB, which is why all that are going to be used with the car have to be present when the programming is done. The dealers here charge around $300 to provide a new FOB and program the car.

Well, progress is being made but it’s slow. Apparently the BCM and the ECM got fried when they tried to program the new Fob. I had to get a bit harsh with the dealership yesterday when they started saying how expensive it was going to be to repair and asked if I had an extended warranty on the car. I told them I had no intention of paying to put my car back into the condition it was in when I brought it to them (i.e. functional with a working key). They tried to put it all on me but I wasn’t going to budge. They finally got approval to have all repairs covered at 100%. So now it’s just a waiting game. I HATE fighting with car dealerships and car service people. Such a waste of everyone’s time.

You really should fix the thread title. The Nissan Dealership did the damage, not Nissan. Nissan does not own or directly control any of the dealers.

Contact Nissan by chat and simply ask them. When a fraudulent dealer charged me for the annual battery check although they never did (they had no leaf certified mechanics), I contacted Nissan by chat. In the very same session, they verified that no work was done, and they offered me $250 gift card for all the troubles. In addition, I disputed the charges with my credit card (the whole maintenance amount, which was close to $200) and Amex refunded it to me (they said they'll wait from the dealer for 3 months to send the proof that they did the work, but of course the dealer could not send it). So I had a free maintenance, a lot of frustration, and a $250 gift card left from this experience. (the "free maintenance" I mention is battery check, brake fluid replacement and cabin filter replacement. But I have no idea if they did the last two).

Of course I never went to that dealer again.

This is one reason I would need serious convincing to buy another Nissan product. I pretty confident that if you brought a Tesla into a dealership out of warranty and this happened they would not even ask you to pay they would just fix it. Unfortunately this is very common with many dealerships but since Tesla owns everything they don't give you the runaround. Good thing you see to be resolving it.

Do you have an update of what happened? i took my 2015 rogue to the dealer yesterday and same thing happened. i had my key, just wanted to new spare key bc i lost it when i moved. they said it would be easy and then i get a call a few hours later telling me that my bcm is not communicating and that it would cost 1200 to fix...like i brought it to them damaged. they told me to call nissan, in which I did, but i have not heard back yet on a status...

Back