Anyone happen to know WINS inside out?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mwalsh

Leaf Supporting Member
WINS on my NT4.0 domain controller is the last thing messed up since I changed the private addresses for all the equipment on my network (from 192.168.1.x to 192.168.9.x). I don't suppose any of you in IT out there know WINS real well and could help me troubleshoot? I'm about at my wits end....I appear to get it fixed and then a few days later some other random problem pops up and puts me more or less back at square one. Today I'm going to try restoring an older WINS database (from the backup I did right before the address changes) and try to work forwards again from there. :?

I took the cowards way out and restored the backup I made last month right after I made the network address changes. Kind of a pain, but it's working the way it should now. Yeah, it's old. But until they give me some money to buy new....it's going to have to limp along.

Now I've got the VPN server not working - can't reach the WAN address for some reason. Pinging it is intermittent...sometimes responds, sometimes not. Funny thing is, it was working fine last night from the office (going out to the Internet from our router via a different address and coming back in on the VPN address). Thinking (hoping) it could be as simple as an intermittently bad network cable.

But that's been the tone of the whole month since I did this network change - I fix one thing and something else completely unrelated breaks. So between chasing my tail and the forced furlough days (currently only working 18 hours a week), it's really been tough to stay on top of things. Of course, it might be easier to stay on top of things if I posted here less (and you'll notice that yesterday I wasn't able to post much at all during business hours). :lol:

EVDRIVER said:
Seriously?!! This is like finding someone stranded on the side of the road their car broken down, you pull up to them and rather than offering to call a tow truck you say, "you're stupid, you should drive an electric car, they don't break down" and then leave without offering to help :roll:

johnr said:
EVDRIVER said:
Seriously?!! This is like finding someone stranded on the side of the road their car broken down, you pull up to them and rather than offering to call a tow truck you say, "you're stupid, you should drive an electric car, they don't break down" and then leave without offering to help :roll:

Not really. But interpret it as you will, sometimes change is better. So much drama here.

Gonewild said:
If your wins stops you can alway go old school and use the LMHOST file.

Yeah, I thought about that. But, gosh, one of my pet hates is technology (or software/protocols) that doesn't work the way it's supposed to.

It was a really weird situation - machines would randomly be forgotten by WINS, and a release/refresh using nbtstat only helped temporarily. I even got to the point where I was using static entries in WINS for the other domain servers, so at least clients could reach the shared resources on them. THEN (and this is what made me decide to go back to the backup) the server with WINS problems forgot it was supposed to be domain controller (I do have a BDC, but I only put it up on the network when I need to take the PDC down). So I couldn't join new machines to the domain and anyone unfortunate enough to need a machine that their user ID wasn't cached on was s**t out of luck. What a mess.

The worst part of it has been that I really didn't (don't) have the time to deal with this kind stuff. Right now my whole existence at work is based on praying that nothing new goes wrong so I can keep up with tasks currently at hand, since they're unwilling/unable to authorize any additional hours. Of course, I'm now 2 days behind on anything that was on my list for this week, and that only assumes Monday's work on the VPN is something I can deal with quickly.

Hope you don't mind me bitching about my lot in life.

Back