Stanton
Delivery Date: 01 Sep 2011
Leaf Number: 7458

Re: Do you baby your other batteries as well?

Tue Sep 11, 2018 8:28 am

garsh wrote:I stopped plugging in my phones to charge overnight years ago. Now I just charge it during the day, at my desk, and unplug it when it reaches 90%. My kids get the hand-me-down phones, and I used to have to replace batteries to make the phones usable again. "Babying" the batteries seems to really help make that not necessary.

^^^ THIS

I also REMOVE my laptop battery (usually for days at a time) when it is basically docked like a desktop. I have noticed that most peoples laptop batteries are "chewed up" due to constant charging.
2011 Blue Ocean SV w/floor mats & window tint
12v LiFePO4 battery & FIAMM 74100 horns
Wet Okole seat covers (front)
Tor's low-power heater mod
2013 sun visor
3G modem upgrade
L2 EVSE Upgrade
Battery Pack replaced (Rev E) @51 months and 41k miles

Nubo
Delivery Date: 31 Oct 2014

Tue Sep 11, 2018 3:15 pm

cwerdna wrote:
2k1Toaster wrote:Most manufacturers (including Dell) allow you to set a charge limit.

Apple doesn't, at least not with any UI enabled by default in OS X.

Have never seen any such options on the my work laptop, a 2017 era MacBook Pro 15-inch nor my previous work machine, a early 2013 MacBook Pro 15-inch. I've never heard of any one else's MacBook Pros (at least since 2013) have such options.

I also have this Chromebook (https://www.asus.com/us/Laptops/ASUS-Chromebook-C201PA/) and it provides no choices.

Judging by the excellent longevity of my wife's Macbook Air, I suspect Apple chose a decent compromise between run-time and battery life and must have chosen a conservative voltage cut-off.

Keep in mind that (as with LEAF), the concept of "100% charge" is fluid. There's the 100% as presented to the consumer, and 100% as defined by the battery manufacturer -- both of which are arbitrary values chosen as compromises between run-time, longevity, and safety. So Apple's "100%" may be entirely different than another product's "100%" even if they use the same cells.
I noticed you're still working with polymers.

TheMagster
Delivery Date: 24 Aug 2018
Leaf Number: 328283

Tue Sep 11, 2018 7:30 pm

Cool, thanks for the feedback everyone!

Nubo wrote:Judging by the excellent longevity of my wife's Macbook Air, I suspect Apple chose a decent compromise between run-time and battery life and must have chosen a conservative voltage cut-off.

Keep in mind that (as with LEAF), the concept of "100% charge" is fluid. There's the 100% as presented to the consumer, and 100% as defined by the battery manufacturer -- both of which are arbitrary values chosen as compromises between run-time, longevity, and safety. So Apple's "100%" may be entirely different than another product's "100%" even if they use the same cells.

Good point. My wife's MacBook Air from 2013 is still going strong with plenty of battery capacity. I just replaced my Surface Pro 3 from 2014 due to a depleted battery (was getting about 2.5 hrs on a good day, it was a 9 hr battery when new). Both computers probably spent a similar amount of time plugged in, so I expect that you are right on this point, that Apple did a better job of preserving battery life than did Microsoft in this case. Of course there will always be other factors...such as my Surface Pro 3 spending a year in southeast asia with me while I attempted to edits photos and videos on it...those high temps and heavy use surely expedited the battery's decline.

I would like to start doing this with my new computer to get the most life out of it that I can. I guess my only option is to create my own charging timer system, similar to the Leaf. Wish Microsoft had something built-in like those lovely Lenovos!
2015 Leaf SV, 25k miles, 12 bars

Return to “Off-Topic”