RustyShackleford
Delivery Date: 0- 0-2018

using Leaf as house backup power

Wed Jun 26, 2019 4:21 pm

I'm curious how easy it would be, and if anyone here has managed, to use their Leaf as backup power for their house during power outages. Mine has a 40kwh battery. That's enough to run the fridge and cable modem for a couple of days, and the well pump enough for drinking water and a little washing. (Of course it's not gonna be enough for HVAC or water-heating). And obviously that battery is cable of providing more than 10kw of power (at 150 miles range, if you average 40mph you're going to run it dry in 4 hrs). So the rub is how to access a few kilowatts of that power output (the well pump driving the peak power required). Figure that out, add a 240v inverter, and Bob's your uncle. I believe I've read that the cigarette lighter outlet can supply 10 amps, so that 120 watts might run the fridge if one could disable auto-defrost mode, but not even close for the well pump.

Nubo
Delivery Date: 31 Oct 2014

Re: using Leaf as house backup power

Wed Jun 26, 2019 4:39 pm

This should help viewtopic.php?t=13097
I noticed you're still working with polymers.

RustyShackleford
Delivery Date: 0- 0-2018

Wed Jun 26, 2019 9:40 pm

Nubo wrote:This should help viewtopic.php?t=13097

Thanks for the link; my search kung-fu is not that good I guess.

The rub for me is the well pump, which is on a 2-pole/20-amp breaker; I don't know how much power it actually draws, but I gotta figure it's more than the rig in the link. They don't seem to be harvesting nearly all the power the Leaf is able to provide to its motor. I see a DC-to-DC converter mentioned. Does this mean the battery's output to the motor is at a voltage higher than 12vdc, and the 12v power out is limited by that converter ? If so, I guess I'm SOL as far as the well is concerned, unless I can somehow tap directly into the battery's output and find an inverter than runs on that (presumably higher) voltage. Probably not likely.

Maybe I have to put a stage of 12v batteries plus 240vac inverter big enough to handle the well pump, and keep that battery bank charged from the Leaf ? Yikes.

Nubo
Delivery Date: 31 Oct 2014

Thu Jun 27, 2019 1:03 am

RustyShackleford wrote:The rub for me is the well pump, which is on a 2-pole/20-amp breaker; I don't know how much power it actually draws, but I gotta figure it's more than the rig in the link. They don't seem to be harvesting nearly all the power the Leaf is able to provide to its motor. I see a DC-to-DC converter mentioned. Does this mean the battery's output to the motor is at a voltage higher than 12vdc, and the 12v power out is limited by that converter ?

Yeah, much higher. The "traction battery" is on the order of 400V. Think of the converter as the analog to an ICE car's alternator in that it keeps the 12V system supplied.

I guess I'm SOL as far as the well is concerned, unless I can somehow tap directly into the battery's output and find an inverter than runs on that (presumably higher) voltage. Probably not likely.

Definitely a more complex proposition. Nissan keeps threatening to bring their "LEAF-to-Home" product to the US, and that system would be what you're thinking off; deriving its power directly from the main 400V bus. I believe it can output up to 6kW. It's been in Japan for years but I'm not sure what the status is for the US market.
I noticed you're still working with polymers.

Return to “Off-Topic”