Nissan gets New York's taxi business

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hmmm looks remarkably like the Peugeot E7 Taxi that's been on sale in the UK for years. In fact an electric option of this vehicle has been available in the UK since 2008 though not popular at £40k/$66k!

http://www.zercustoms.com/photos/Allied-Vehicles-E7-Electric-Taxi/Allied-Vehicles-E7-Electric-Taxi.jpg.html

This is a huge coup for Nissan, the iconic cab for the world's capital. The glass roof is interesting, hopefully it wont look like hell all scratched up after a few years of use... The typical NY taxi gets driven about 10k miles a year, and they are replaced every 3 years, perfect for a BEV I would think.

Under a 10 year contract, I would bet the EV option on these vans sealed the deal. It's a very nice choice with gas prices going up... possibly for good!

TRONZ said:
Under a 10 year contract, I would bet the EV option on these vans sealed the deal. It's a very nice choice with gas prices going up... possibly for good!

There is no EV option, Nissan will provide 6 Leaf taxis for experimental use, also with a mobile charging solution.

Herm said:
This is a huge coup for Nissan, the iconic cab for the world's capital. The glass roof is interesting, hopefully it wont look like hell all scratched up after a few years of use... The typical NY taxi gets driven about 10k miles a year, and they are replaced every 3 years, perfect for a BEV I would think.

You mean 10k miles a month?

I think Herm missed a zero there... quick Googling turns up estimates from 40,000 to 70,000 miles per year for NY taxis. Rounding up that's ~200 miles per day on average. Quick charging three or four times a day would be required for that... of course, the BEV taxis could provide more limited service to keep daily mileage down or be built to accommodate the larger packs required. Or heaven help us... battery swapping! :D

And by law they are replaced every 6 years (but maybe more often if condition is bad).
=Smidge=

Sorry about that, here is a good article:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1383208/Nissan-wins-10-year-contract-New-York-City-taxis.html

Herm said:
TRONZ said:

There is no EV option, Nissan will provide 6 Leaf taxis for experimental use, also with a mobile charging solution.
By 2017, Nissan will be able to manufacture the cars to run solely on electricity, New York City Hall said in a statement.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-13276404

Everything you possibly wanted to know about NY taxis

http://www.schallerconsult.com/taxi/taxifb.pdf

page 46

Mileage varies considerably among operators. Cabs run by fleets and other shift
lessors, in service two shifts per day and 7 days per week, average 72,000 miles.
Cabs leased long-term (usually to two drivers) average 68,000 miles. Ownerdrivers,
generally driving one shift a day, 5 or 6 days a week, averaged 42,000
miles.

Cars brought into service as taxicabs must be brand new vehicles and generally
must be replaced five years after being placed into service. This is one of the
strictest vehicle policies in the U.S.; most major cities allow vehicles to be used
for 5 to 9 years and allow used vehicles to be put into service.

Taxis driven exclusively by “unspecified drivers” who change day to day, must be
retired after three years.

page 48

shifts are 10 hours, 30 trips, 141 miles a day

evnow said:
Herm said:
shifts are 10 hours, 30 trips, 141 miles a day
Avg of less than 5 miles a trip. More than 50% idle time. Just need 2, 30 minute fast charges per day.

That sounds pretty much the same as me, though my average trip is about 2-3 miles including getting to the address (small compact UK town).

I really do worry what damage one 30 min fast charge would do to the car if used daily or even 2 or 3 times a week. Otherwise I think the Leaf would be an ideal taxi in that in would very rarely reach the 30 mph town speed limit and would spend a lot of time in slow, crawling, start stop traffic.

GrumpyCabbie said:
I really do worry what damage one 30 min fast charge would do to the car if used daily or even 2 or 3 times a week.
Officially Nissan tells us not to fast charge more than once a day. They think in 8 years the capacity will be a few % less if fast charge is frequently used.

I think for cooler places like yours, fast charge would have even less of an impact.

But the bigger question of too many miles per year and thus reducing # of years of active service before the battery needs to be replaced would be one concern. But I expect the battery to cost lesser in the future (may be $5K in 5 years ?) and the replacement cost needs to be factored into any financial calculations.

evnow said:
GrumpyCabbie said:
I really do worry what damage one 30 min fast charge would do to the car if used daily or even 2 or 3 times a week.
Officially Nissan tells us not to fast charge more than once a day. They think in 8 years the capacity will be a few % less if fast charge is frequently used.

I think for cooler places like yours, fast charge would have even less of an impact.

But the bigger question of too many miles per year and thus reducing # of years of active service before the battery needs to be replaced would be one concern. But I expect the battery to cost lesser in the future (may be $5K in 5 years ?) and the replacement cost needs to be factored into any financial calculations.

lol, I assume you mean cooler as in climate :)

So one fast charge a day would be OK? There wouldn't be an issue with a 30 min fast charge once a day in 5 days out of 7 with only a small loss of service life of the battery?

You say the question of miles a year comes into the service life. I'm sure I've read the battery has a life of about 5,000 charges which would amount to 13 years of service life. But what mileage life could I expect from the battery? 60k miles, 80k?, 120k miles?

I know no definite answer can be given but surely some enlightened members will have a good educated guess.

GrumpyCabbie said:
You say the question of miles a year comes into the service life. I'm sure I've read the battery has a life of about 5,000 charges which would amount to 13 years of service life. But what mileage life could I expect from the battery? 60k miles, 80k?, 120k miles?

I know no definite answer can be given but surely some enlightened members will have a good educated guess.
Well, 100 miles per charge would come out to 500,000 miles...not really a reasonable estimate since 100 miles is very optimistic and the range per charge will decrease over time. If you could average 70 miles per charge over time, 5000 charges would be 350,000 miles. 60 miles would be 300,000 miles. My question is what does end of service life mean? 50% of capacity left?

Aren't there some Leafs doing taxi duty in Japan? There should be some numbers from that experiment.

jamesanne said:
Now they are going from 6 to 100 LEAFs!
http://news.cnet.com/8301-11128_3-20059656-54.html
It has now changed back to 6

"Correction: This story originally reported that New York City would get 100 Nissan Leafs as a demonstration fleet. The correct number is 6."

GrumpyCabbie said:
Where did you read about the # of charges ? 5,000 looks high.

Nissan has warranteed here for 8 years & 100K miles. Just like the GM Volt.

By the end of that period the battery will have some 70% to 80% of the capacity (that would mean more fast charging for you - and by that time you wouldn't care too much whether the fast charging is reducing battery capacity). Depending on how fast you get to that 100K miles - the battery replacement may or may not be cheap.

EVNow's law states every 5 years's the battery cost will reduce by 50% :lol:

Back