Shocked at pool pump motor replacemnet

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mark13

The pool is 5 years old and uses 2 pump-motors..One motor just went out and needs to be replaced..
The pool company says the motor is outdated and both the pump+motor need to be updated $1400.00 X 2 = $2800 if both motors go out..

Pool company says its a state law to put in a power saving motor..

Im thinking of checking out if there are electric motor rebuilders somewhere in the city or would this be breaking the law ?

Refer to this thread:
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=9325" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

You don't say where you are. In Florida near as I can tell the rule only applies to 1hp and above. I've got a 3/4hp pump that still seems to move quite a bit of water.

The energy efficient pumps look like they do pay back, but on a 3/4hp it will take a long time. I'm hoping the price comes down by the time I need to replace. There was a place selling the Pentair for $895, let's hope the trend continues.

most pool pumps can be rebuilt for under 100.00 as long as the windings are not gone.stuck start switch or start capicitor 95% of time. each less than 5.00 ps most energy eff laws apply to new buildings not replacement.ps.have been in the motor rebuilding biz for 40 years.you are being taking for a ride.I can get a 25 hp pump and motor for that, you know sewer plant type of pumps!!!

As I said in the other thread, you can buy a complete replacement motor on the internet for ~$300. Just get the AO Smith numbers off the existing motor, if that is what it is using. Using the AO Smith part number, these websites will guide you to which motors you can swap to, including lower HP or dual-speed motors, like I chose.
If the pump section itself is bad, that's a completely different story. :( But, $1400 is a bit ridiculous, there are many other choices cheaper than that to meet your state requirements.

my in-laws neighbors have a pool that has been DOA for 2-3 years now. its a very large above ground pool (has its own pump house) and the pumps went out on it. details are pretty sketchy but the sticking point is the apparently large repair bill to fix the pumps/filter system.

now i am in WA state and pools are not the norm here. few people have them but its not like 80% of backyards like in some places i have lived so guessing pool maintenance is probably a bit higher here as there probably aint much competition here

no NO have your old pump repaired. you can repair your pump you don't need to replace it. I repair most motors for $75.00 that includes a free shaft seal. repairing pumps is the green thing to do ! you should see all of these new variable speed motors that are stacking up in the return pile at one of my suppliers.. what a joke. the KEY is to have the right size pump for your pool and to know that it is working efficiently.
That's were I come into play. so if you need help with your pump and your local Orlando I can help you get back up and running try searching yahoo for your local pool pump motor repair guy look for the pictures on how to ID and remove your pump to bring it in for service
Or search your area for your local pool pump repair shop OR electric motor repair. these are the guys that know whats going on with pumps !!!
REMEMBER a clean pool is a safer pool .. and look for the pool pump repair puppy he's the sign of a bark'n good deal,
Jay

Oh and my car RED 1995 convertible corvette 17 in town and 25-26 hwy made in the good old USA and blast to drive on the beach.
I LOVE MY FAST GAS GUZZLING AMERICAN CAR and wouldn't trade it for nuth'n

motorwiz said:
no NO have your old pump repaired. you can repair your pump you don't need to replace it. I repair most motors for $75.00 that includes a free shaft seal. repairing pumps is the green thing to do ! you should see all of these new variable speed motors that are stacking up in the return pile at one of my suppliers.. what a joke. the KEY is to have the right size pump for your pool and to know that it is working efficiently.
That's were I come into play. so if you need help with your pump and your local Orlando I can help you get back up and running try searching yahoo for your local pool pump motor repair guy look for the pictures on how to ID and remove your pump to bring it in for service
Or search your area for your local pool pump repair shop OR electric motor repair. these are the guys that know whats going on with pumps !!!
REMEMBER a clean pool is a safer pool .. and look for the pool pump repair puppy he's the sign of a bark'n good deal,
Jay

+1

I've had motors redone by folks like this several times and it's worked out well. No reason to junk the whole thing when all you need is bearings and a seal.

motorwiz said:
Jay

Oh and my car RED 1995 convertible corvette 17 in town and 25-26 hwy made in the good old USA and blast to drive on the beach.

Wow, man! You've been lurking for 5 1/2 years???

Welcome! :cool:

Nubo said:
motorwiz said:
no NO have your old pump repaired. you can repair your pump you don't need to replace it. I repair most motors for $150.00 that includes a free shaft seal. repairing pumps is the green thing to do ! you should see all of these new variable speed motors that are stacking up in the return pile at one of my suppliers.. what a joke. the KEY is to have the right size pump for your pool and to know that it is working efficiently.
Jay

25 but it seems longer. working or replacing motors that clueless people buy on line that have aluminum windings.
need help ? just look for your local pool pump repair guy in longwood florida
Jay

pool company lied to you. efficient motors are mandated on new total pool installs. existing pools can be repaired or replaced. consult with your local pool pump motor repair guy or electric motor repair shop for advice. asking the pool store is like asking a car dealer for advice. not all pool stores are the same BUT

motorwiz said:
Nubo said:

25 but it seems longer. working or replacing motors that clueless people buy on line that have aluminum windings.
need help ? just look for your local pool pump repair guy in longwood florida
Jay

I meant "lurking" in the internet forum sense, since it looks like you joined in 2012 but that was your first post. :)

Wow, I don't think I've ever seen a motor with Al windings. Must be a hot mess, literally.

You don't seem interested in getting rid of the pool, but we did after our kids were grown and out of the house. It was the best decision we ever made. I spent many weekends repairing the automatic pool cover or pool sweep. My wife had to fish leaves off the cover with a long scoop during winter and balance the chemicals weekly all year long. We probably put in 10 hrs/wk on that thing and never used it. It didn't have a heater so just wasn't comfortable enough except for a three months a year. The kids played in it and had friends over, so it was worth it when they were young, but later, no. When we had it taken out our electric bill dropped $50/mo and we saved big on chemicals, too, in addition to the time and hassle factor. We have health club memberships and could swim laps there if we wanted to.

Hi,

I am thinking of buying Hayward SP2610X15 with 1.5 HP, a dimension of 10 x 12.3 inches and a weight of 40 pounds. Should I buy this?? What about its performance??

Thanks.

f1000c pool pump

I really hope that in 6 years that pump has been replaced...

I've got 3 pumps for my tub x2 1/2HP and x1 1/4HP (filter pump only). I keep a spare one on the shelf now. Because if one dies then the circulation stops and the heater can't work, then things freeze when it's -20F out and bad things happen. I get less than a day between pump death and burst pipes so, spare pump on a shelf.

2k1Toaster said:

I've got 3 pumps for my tub x2 1/2HP and x1 1/4HP (filter pump only). I keep a spare one on the shelf now. Because if one dies then the circulation stops and the heater can't work, then things freeze when it's -20F out and bad things happen. I get less than a day between pump death and burst pipes so, spare pump on a shelf.
I would be running two in parallel. Third on the shelf.

smkettner said:
2k1Toaster said:

I would be running two in parallel. Third on the shelf.

That would require lots of replumbing and reprogramming. Everything is smart enough to monitor pump currents and actual flow rates. If the pump is drawing current but making no flow (potentially clogged or dead) it will stop giving it power. It would be a pain to wire in anything supplemental that wasn't supposed to be there unless it was "dumb" and just ran continuously. And then that would cause other errors because flow would be detected when the pumps weren't running which would cause errors for sensor malfunctions during the calibration that runs every time it starts up. Oh well.

Yes you might need a flow switch to disable the second and a relay to limit power detection.

Or just a manual switch if you get an error message would keep you above freezing with little effort until the failure could be attended.

My parents had a pool. It was great for per teen kids. After high school it just sat. No one was interested in it but it was really great through up to high school. Pools are great for young kids!

Back