Becky50
Gold Member
Posts: 151
Joined: Mon Apr 02, 2012 9:42 pm
Delivery Date: 02 Aug 2012
Leaf Number: 019032
Location: San Jose, CA

Re: Can these mock meat entrepreneurs fool you with a plant-based burger?

Sat Nov 11, 2017 8:09 am

Thanks for the Gott's suggestion in Palo Alto. Some friends and I will be making a stop there this next week to try the Impossible Burgers.

ENIAC
Posts: 643
Joined: Thu Jan 06, 2011 9:05 pm
Delivery Date: 13 Jan 2011
Leaf Number: 224
Location: Sun Diego, CA USA

Re: Can these mock meat entrepreneurs fool you with a plant-based burger?

Sat Nov 11, 2017 8:45 am

Some believe that crickets will become our primary source of protein in the future. All the sudden plant-based burgers don't sound too bad do they!
https://futurism.com/future-crickets-primary-source-protein/
Myths And Facts About Electric Cars

"The ice doesn't care"
-- WetEV

User avatar
OrientExpress
Forum Supporter
Posts: 1052
Joined: Sun Aug 08, 2010 12:22 pm
Delivery Date: 10 May 2011
Leaf Number: 2331
Location: San Jose, Ca

Re: Can these mock meat entrepreneurs fool you with a plant-based burger?

Sat Nov 11, 2017 9:04 am

ENIAC wrote:Some believe that crickets will become our primary source of protein in the future. All the sudden plant-based burgers don't sound too bad do they!
https://futurism.com/future-crickets-primary-source-protein/


If you have ever had the opportunity to visit the state of Oaxaca in Mexico, you know how good "chipolinas" or crickets are. They are an everyday staple down there, and when cooked in chili sauce they are really great tasting, and crunchy too!
2014 LEAF SV
Ocean Blue
Delivery May 23 2014
46,000+ miles - all 12 bars - Same range as new - No warranty issues ever!

User avatar
EVDRIVER
Posts: 5875
Joined: Sat Apr 24, 2010 7:51 am

Re: Can these mock meat entrepreneurs fool you with a plant-based burger?

Sat Nov 11, 2017 10:15 am

OrientExpress wrote:
ENIAC wrote:Some believe that crickets will become our primary source of protein in the future. All the sudden plant-based burgers don't sound too bad do they!
https://futurism.com/future-crickets-primary-source-protein/


If you have ever had the opportunity to visit the state of Oaxaca in Mexico, you know how good "chipolinas" or crickets are. They are an everyday staple down there, and when cooked in chili sauce they are really great tasting, and crunchy too!



I've had them there, it was the night I felt pretty sick and hallucinated.

ENIAC
Posts: 643
Joined: Thu Jan 06, 2011 9:05 pm
Delivery Date: 13 Jan 2011
Leaf Number: 224
Location: Sun Diego, CA USA

Re: Can these mock meat entrepreneurs fool you with a plant-based burger?

Sat Nov 11, 2017 11:29 am

EVDRIVER wrote:
OrientExpress wrote:
ENIAC wrote:Some believe that crickets will become our primary source of protein in the future. All the sudden plant-based burgers don't sound too bad do they!
https://futurism.com/future-crickets-primary-source-protein/


If you have ever had the opportunity to visit the state of Oaxaca in Mexico, you know how good "chipolinas" or crickets are. They are an everyday staple down there, and when cooked in chili sauce they are really great tasting, and crunchy too!



I've had them there, it was the night I felt pretty sick and hallucinated.


Next time ask them to hold the mushrooms and mescaline.
Myths And Facts About Electric Cars

"The ice doesn't care"
-- WetEV

LeftieBiker
Posts: 7200
Joined: Wed May 22, 2013 3:17 am
Delivery Date: 31 May 2013
Location: Upstate New York, US

Re: Can these mock meat entrepreneurs fool you with a plant-based burger?

Sat Nov 11, 2017 1:46 pm

It's definitely not a soy aftertaste as I've had tofu which doesn't have the same aftertaste.


Soy has multiple components. Tamari (soy sauce) has the aftertaste I mean, despite not having any artificial additives. Tofu is made from soy milk, which is just one component of soy. You can make your own burgers from very firm tofu, bread crumbs, seasonings, and lightly sauteed onions. Those may also be what you seek, as you can flavor them according to your own taste. My Mom also came up with a very similar recipe for tofu "meat" balls in the Eighties that I adapted a bit and put on the Web years ago. Just search for "Sandy's Italian Tofu Balls."
2013 "Brilliant Silver" SV with Premium Package and no QC, and 2009 Vectrix VX-1 with 18 Leaf cells.

The most offensive, tasteless phrase in use here is "Pulled the trigger." I no longer respond to posts that use it.

LeftieBiker
Posts: 7200
Joined: Wed May 22, 2013 3:17 am
Delivery Date: 31 May 2013
Location: Upstate New York, US

Re: Can these mock meat entrepreneurs fool you with a plant-based burger?

Mon Nov 20, 2017 4:07 pm

It turns out that what I had previously tried was Beyond Beef's "Beast Burger." Last week I tried the new one featured in that video. One of the first things that you notice is the rather awful smell it produces while cooking. It isn't really strong or really offensive, but it is a bit off-putting. The taste isn't bad, though: think backyard plain grilled burger with a hint of peas. There is a faint but definite aftertaste, though, and the texture is more spongy that you'd expect. All in all I'd give it a "B+". Tonight I'm going to try mixing one of two of them into our tofu burger recipe, to try to produce a better-smelling, non-spongy burger. I may also use some of the mix to make Italian tofu balls as well.
2013 "Brilliant Silver" SV with Premium Package and no QC, and 2009 Vectrix VX-1 with 18 Leaf cells.

The most offensive, tasteless phrase in use here is "Pulled the trigger." I no longer respond to posts that use it.

GRA
Posts: 7458
Joined: Mon Sep 19, 2011 1:49 pm
Location: East side of San Francisco Bay

Re: Can these mock meat entrepreneurs fool you with a plant-based burger?

Mon Nov 20, 2017 8:08 pm

Thanks to you and everyone else who commented on their experiences. BTW, everything I've read has said that beef has much greater impact than pork or poultry in terms of energy, land and water use as well as GHGs (all those cow farts and burps, plus manure*). If you've got different info, can you point me to it so I can check it out?

*https://www.popsci.com/cow-farts-are-an-even-bigger-problem-than-we-thought#page-2
Guy [I have lots of experience designing/selling off-grid AE systems, some using EVs but don't own one. Local trips are by foot, bike and/or rapid transit].

The 'best' is the enemy of 'good enough'. Copper shot, not Silver bullets.

LeftieBiker
Posts: 7200
Joined: Wed May 22, 2013 3:17 am
Delivery Date: 31 May 2013
Location: Upstate New York, US

Re: Can these mock meat entrepreneurs fool you with a plant-based burger?

Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:39 pm

No time to look for a link now, but the Cliff's Notes are: intensive farming methods used to produce chicken, eggs and pork (but rarely beef) are responsible for both increased resistance to antibiotics (along with their over-prescription to humans) and locally very intense concentrations of toxic pollution, especially in water. Cattle can be fed on grains, grass, or a combination, but chickens and pigs are virtually always fed grain, with all the environmental cost that entails.

The Tofu-BB burgers turned out great - same slightly-rare-beef taste as the Beyond Beef patties I mixed in, but less intense and with a texture I prefer. The smell remains a problem, though. Again, it isn't powerful but it's cloying and has staying power. EDIT: there is also a significant, although not strong, aftertaste that is also persistent. I may just try making tofu burgers with a little beet juice added, next time.
2013 "Brilliant Silver" SV with Premium Package and no QC, and 2009 Vectrix VX-1 with 18 Leaf cells.

The most offensive, tasteless phrase in use here is "Pulled the trigger." I no longer respond to posts that use it.

Return to “Environmental Issues”