ABG: U.S. carbon emissions spike in 2018 after years of falling

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
SageBrush said:
RegGuheert said:
Nothing ever got built successfully using unrealistic assumptions.
How about data from what was actually built ?
https://emp.lbl.gov/utility-scale-solar
---

Regarding land use,
This estimate from 2008 (!) calculated 0.6% of US land mass or 22% of urban land area (aka rooftop.)
Panel efficiency has probably increased 50% since then.
https://atb.nrel.gov/electricity/2018/index.html?t=su
Utility-scale solar or rooftop?

(Hint: Choose One)

^^ Utility. After all, we *were* talking about land use requirements.
Rooftops are not included in land use area.

Starting from (as shown earlier) annual consumption
2.5 PWh for electric,
2.0 PWh for transport

We need 4.5 PWh to replace current fossils for those purposes
If half is rooftop then 2.25 PWh will be land use by large scale utility solar* that enjoys a 25% CF = ~ 2.5 kWh annual production per STC watt.

==> 0.9 TW

*That presumes all the electricity replacement is solar. This is obviously (and practically) a quite pessimistic starting point since wind is a major contributor with close to 50% higher CF. Moreover, a large fraction of the wind will be off-shore if sanity prevails. And just for completeness' sake, I'll mention that close to 20% of oil is spent in processing. Between large scale on-shore wind and PV we can look forward to an average utility CF of 30 - 35%. That works out to a mid-range of about 3 kWh annualy per rated watt.

Recalculated:
2.5 PWh for electric
1.6 PWh for transport

4.1 PWh combined.
Half rooftop, so 2.05 PWh utility
20% off-shore wind so 1.6 PWh on-shore
==> 0.55 TW utility on-shore.

Congrats; you are off by a factor of 15x.

We researched going with a ground source heat pump before we instead replaced our old AC unit and gas furnace in the spring of 2018.

We are on 1/3 acre and in a 2,550 sq ft house. Like most new and existing homes, we could only do vertical wells which are the priciest. It would have cost at least $20k more to do that instead of going with the most efficient air sourced heat pump. These are costs that one could never recoup from saving on electricity costs.

Could see the cost of the heat pump equipment decreasing a decent amount if manufactured at a larger scale, but not sure the install/drilling costs could be cut enough.

We don't have gas lines (and my housemate is terrified of gas anyway) so for us the backup fuel is home heating oil. I hate that stuff. This gives me more of an incentive to spend more, even though I can't hope to do more than break even in the long term at current prices. With such a high switchover temperature for air source (25F, right?) we'd still be using fuel oil at least a third to half the time in Winter. That doesn't appeal to me at all.

LeftieBiker said:
With such a high switchover temperature for air source (25F, right?) we'd still be using fuel oil at least a third to half the time in Winter. That doesn't appeal to me at all.
Read up on CO2 AS heat pumps. And improve your home envelope !!

LeftieBiker said:
That being said, the low capacity factor of VRE compared to the typical fossil-fueled plant means that generating capacity would have to increase by about 2.5 times for U.S. electricity to go completely renewable, plus all the new power transmission lines to get those renewables to the public, combined with cheap storage which doesn't yet exist (except in a few places where PHES will work).
I think that all this focus on the national grid system is a big mistake. We need homes that are grid independent or semi-independent, local neighborhood grids, and city or county grids that can all stay up when the national system fails. A lot of that needed space for generation already exists on rooftops and in yards and farm fields. I'd love to have solar PV (or at least solar hot water for heating and plumbing) but our roofs are all slate, except for the shaded, badly-oriented garage.
Rooftop PV (and solar water heating) are great, and achieve the highest power densities for any VRE, but it's nowhere near enough to run our economy. Smil includes all of that in his calcs, and the total roof space, never mind the realistically usable roof space, is a small fraction of the area needed.

SageBrush said:
GRA said:
That being said, the low capacity factor of VRE compared to the typical fossil-fueled plant means that generating capacity would have to increase by about 2.5 times for U.S. electricity to go completely renewable, plus all the new power transmission lines to get those renewables to the public, combined with cheap storage which doesn't yet exist (except in a few places where PHES will work). Smil and others have done the calcs, and IIRR it would take an expansion of land use for energy extraction. generation, transmission etc. at current RE power densities from about 0.5% of total U.S. land area to about 50.0% to go fully renewable (for all primary energy IIRC, not just electricity), which simply isn't realistic.
That 50% land use figure is nonsensical. Can't you google a little and do trivial arithmetic ?!

I showed earlier in this thread that it will take ~ 2 TW to replace the fossils currently used in the US for electricity and transport.
Half of that can be rooftop, so 1 TW new land use.

Arithmetic (a lost art):

1.6 meter squared per kW http://www.suncyclopedia.com/en/area-required-for-solar-pv-power-plants/
2*10^9*1.6 = 3.2 * 10^9 square meters
US land area: ~ 4 million square miles = 10^13 square meters

That is before we consider conservation, improvements in panel efficiency, and off-shore wind production

----
But maybe the arithmetic is wrong ? Lets try some simple per capita numbers:
US population: 325 million
US land mass: 10 * 10^12 square meters
Land mass per capita: ~ 3 * 10^4 square meters
1% land use ? 300 square meters per capita.
My household uses under 3 square meters per capita to cover electricity and personal transport. I could triple my generation by adding panels to the roof.

---
Why not -- another simple exercise:
Panel efficiency of 20%
Utility scale capacity factor of 25%
Insolation of 1000 watts per meter*meter
-> 50 watts per meter*meter = 50*365*24 Wh a year per square meter PV = 438 kWh per year per square meter
Current US electricity generation from fossils is ~ 2.5 * 10^12 kWh a year
5.7* 10^9 square meters. If half is rooftop then ~ 2.85 * 10^9 square meters of 10^13 US land mass ... before accounting for wind, both on and off-shore.
----

Come on !
As I've urged people to do before, I suggest you and others read the book for yourself so we're all working from the same set of numbers, as Smil cites all his sources, shows where they agree or differ, and shows all his calcs including what assumptions he's making (and he's often erring on the side of assuming considerable improvements in the tech), as well as efficiency and conservation. Again, it's
Energy Transitions: Global and National Perspectives, 2nd Edition
https://www.amazon.com/Energy-Transitions-Global-National-Perspectives/dp/144085324X

I'd also recommend his
Power Density: A Key to Understanding Energy Sources and Uses (The MIT Press)
https://www.amazon.com/Power-Density-Understanding-Energy-Sources/dp/0262529734

although much of the information in that is repeated in "Energy Transitions". For those who don't have access to a good inter-library loan program and/or who don't want to buy the book, another good and more accessible source for the numbers, although now getting a bit outdated (2009), is David Mackay's "Sustainable Energy: Without the Hot Air", available online here: https://www.withouthotair.com/

Household use is a small fraction of the energy used to keep our society going. BTW, Smil shows the actual capacity factors and efficiency of specific utility-scale PV plants in service in various countries (often very recent installations, as the book was published in 2016).

Your numbers are much too high currently, although they may be accurate in the future in a few places. For example, the typical utility-scale PV is about 10% efficient, because they use cheaper Cd-Te or similar modules rather than crystalline silicon, let alone multi-junction silicon; land is cheaper than modules for them. Smil assumes efficiency improvements to 15 or 20% for his calcs, i.e. that prices for more efficient module types will come down. And PV has the highest power density of all RE. As to capacity factor, the only place utility PV achieves 25% is in the Arizona desert and a few similar sites around the world, with most coming in around 15-20% IIRR, and more than a few in the 10% range (northern areas with lots of clouds, like Germany). Tracking might boost the 25% sites to 30%, at higher cost of course.

So again, rather than trying to do the calcs all over again, why not let someone else do it for all of us and then we can argue over that.

GRA said:
Rooftop PV (and solar water heating) are great, and achieve the highest power densities for any VRE, but it's nowhere near enough to run our economy. Smil includes all of that in his calcs, and the total roof space, never mind the realistically usable roof space, is a small fraction of the area needed.
Let's put a number on that, using an updated analysis
https://www.nrel.gov/docs/fy16osti/65298.pdf

1.5 TWh a year
And by the way, the authors baseline assumptions were 16% panel efficiency and 14% losses to the inverter. A 2019 recalculation would increase the result by close to 50% and "we ain't done yet."

GRA said:
For example, the typical utility-scale PV is about 10% efficient
Utility scale CF for 2018 installations was 26.3%

I'm not going to read Smil (is that short for Smeagol ?) because it is garbage.

SageBrush said:
We need 4.5 PWh to replace current fossils for those purposes.
Nonsense. The electricity needs to be replaced both *when* and *where* it is being consumed. You CANNOT replace 4.5 PWh of dispatchable generation with 4.5 PWh of renewable generation which is not dispatchable. You CANNOT use optimistic capacity factors to represent how much electricity is available.

Somebody sold ridiculous numbers like you are bandying about to the German government and they are now experimenting on their citizens. The results are very clear: Germany is not cutting emissions, but they have among the highest electricity costs in the world. Why? Because wind power is NOT dispatchable. You have to wonder what a country running on 100% renewable energy is supposed to do during the 5% of the time when the wind generators are producing about 5% of their nameplate capacity:

German-Windpower.png

SageBrush said:
GRA said:

So, you're saying that because the numbers don't agree with your pre-existing conclusions, then they must be wrong.

GRA said:
Rooftop PV (and solar water heating) are great,...
Solar water heating is actually not so great in cold weather like they have in wintertime in upstate New York. The efficiency drops dramatically and the reliability is quite poor (everywhere). After quite a bit of research, we determined that a heat-pump water heater and a few more net-metered PV modules was a much better and cheaper solution for our application.

SageBrush said:
GRA said:
Uh huh, using trackers in the best areas of the U.S. Of course, that doesn't change the fact that there's all the existing PV at lower levels of CF, which will be around for decades to come. Now, to expand they have to build the transmission lines to move the power where it will be used.

Well, if your attitude is that any numbers which disagree with your existing conclusions can't be right, then there really isn't anything to talk about. I'm at least willing to read new info and change my conclusions when it's justified.

RegGuheert said:
Nonsense.]
Your conclusion, because you lack insight.
The VRE economy will rely on energy sinks, geographic integration of the grid, and demand/supply signals.

GRA said:
Again, it's
Energy Transitions: Global and National Perspectives, 2nd Edition
https://www.amazon.com/Energy-Transitions-Global-National-Perspectives/dp/144085324X
Thanks! Using Amazon's "Look Inside" feature, I like what I have read so far. I think this bit of text from the introduction is pertinent here:
Vaclav Smil in Energy Transitions said:
The greater the degree of reliance on a particular energy source or a prime mover, the more widespread the prevailing uses and conversions, and the more elaborate, costly, and enduring are the associated infrastructure, the longer their substitutions will take. This conclusion seems obvious but it is often ignored: otherwise we would not have those repeatedly failed predictions of imminent triumphs of new energy sources or converters. And inherently gradual nature of large-scale energy transitions is also the key reason why--barring some extraordinary and entirely unprecedented investment and regulatory actions---today's promises for greatly accelerated transitions from fossil fuels to renewable energies will remain largely unrealized.
...and this...
Vaclav Smil in Energy Transitions said:
As in the past, the unfolding global energy transitions will last for decades, not years, and modern civilization's dependence on fossil fuels will not be shed by a sequence of government-dictated goals.

The power companies are not going away.
Before I bought my leaf I may have been able to afford to go off grid.
With an EV and plug in hybrid, I don't think I can afford it. Mainly the battery.

If those utility solar panels are running an average of around 26% of name plate then the vast majority of them are fixed, or are on broken trackers.

The IEA says that the US has 60 billion watts of PV installed as of 3rd Q of 2018.
2018 started with 55 billion wattts, so average that to 57 billion watts for all of 2018?
That 57ish billion watts made 1.2% of all the power generated in the US.
Just work forwards or backwards as need from those numbers, assuming the added panels are installed in similar conditions and setups as existing capacity.

GRA said:
there's all the existing PV at lower levels of CF, which will be around for decades to come.
Sure, but it is small fraction of the eventual total.

Well, if your attitude is that any numbers which disagree with your existing conclusions can't be right, then there really isn't anything to talk about. I'm at least willing to read new info and change my conclusions when it's justified.
My refusal is to read Smeagol. It is you that wants him to be the truth

Oilpan4 said:
If those utility solar panels are running an average of around 26% of name plate then the vast majority of them are fixed, or are on broken trackers.
No, it means that the Earth rotates

That's the main draw back to using them.
Not much good for covering the grid base load.
Otherwise perfect for the daily peak load.

Back