DanCar
Delivery Date: 10 Mar 2013

Is the science settled over global warming? If so when?

Wed May 15, 2013 5:31 am

Is the science settled over global warming? If so when?

electrifeyed
Delivery Date: 13 Apr 2013
Leaf Number: 401128

Re: Is the science settled over global warming? If so when?

Wed May 15, 2013 5:43 am

Yes, the science is settled.

If you look into people who "don't believe it," you will generally find that they have some type of vested interest in the fossil fuel industry.
2013 Leaf S /2006 Toyota Highlander Hybrid / 1991 Mercedes 300D Diesel / 2006 Mercedes SLK 280
Affiliated with The University of Alabama / Engineering Dept.

Stoaty
Gold Member
Delivery Date: 12 Jun 2011
Leaf Number: 3871

Wed May 15, 2013 6:46 am

DanCar wrote:Is the science settled over global warming? If so when?

It will never be "settled", but we have the big picture and from what we know now risk avoidance should be our primary strategy. In other words, if we aggressively pursue mitigation (decreased CO2 emissions) and we find that the risk is not quite as high as we thought (very very unlikely, but it's all about probabilities) we are left with the beneficial side effects: cleaner air from burning fewer fossil fuels, decreased reliance on foreign oil, etc. The risk of not doing anything and finding 20 years down the road that things are as bad as (or worse than) observations and physics are telling us is monumental.
2011 Leaf with 62,000 miles given to Nephew
2013 Tesla Model S85 with 251 miles rated range at full charge
Leaf Spy Manual
Battery Aging Model Spreadsheet

apvbguy
Delivery Date: 10 Apr 2013

Wed May 15, 2013 6:51 am

it is was ever settled what would we do with a bunch of unemployed nerds?
climate issues are more of an art than science, people postulate certain beliefs that are based on many things that sometimes include actual scientific facts and data
WARNING This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm

LTLFTcomposite
Delivery Date: 10 Dec 2011
Leaf Number: 5926

Wed May 15, 2013 6:54 am

apvbguy wrote:it is was ever settled what would we do with a bunch of unemployed nerds?

That's actually a good point, why is any further funding needed for research?
LTL
White 2012 SV delivered 10 Dec 2011 returned 25 Nov 2014 replaced with stopgap ICE Sentra
[35 months] [35K miles] [9 Bars]
2013 Volt replaced after 36 months/30k miles with ICE Rogue

o00scorpion00o
Delivery Date: 20 Jan 2015

Wed May 15, 2013 7:02 am

It's a very hard question to ask on a public forum as people have made their minds up without doing proper research regardless of which side of the debate they're on so all you'll get is constant bickering so that a thread goes on for 50 pages or more.

Co2 levels have surpassed the 400 ppm that some have said there is no going back from and we will all roast in a hellish fire in the future. But global satellite records show a decline in temps in the last 10 years or more, 1998 having the largest temperature recorded. And gradual reduction since with spikes here and there. So if c02 is the highest it's ever been why are temps getting lower ?

Certainly in Europe the last few years have been very cool and here in Ireland we lost most palm trees and roses don't grow in December any more, we've broken several records for cold the last few years yet there is no mad media attention as the media don't see it as important or it doesn't fit the agenda maybe of the powers that be. It seems that wild fires are the only thing that grab the media attention and droughts and that man has to be responsible.

The polar ice is still there despite it supposed to be gone 10 years ago, in the U.K news papers reported so called experts saying that by the year 2000 children won't know what snow is, now proven to be a mad thing to say.

Climate science is a lot more about making predictions in 100 year time frame so people won't be around to prove them wrong.

We in Europe pay a hell of a price for energy with carbon tax etc and governments and research institutes get a lot of money and so do big wind energy companies are very heavily subsidised by the tax payer.

There is increasing evidence that the sun is responsible for far more temperature variables than we may have thought and the much decreased sunspots the last 10 years or so are what's bringing down the temps, with the oceans now cooling off as there is a lag, the oceans store a lot of heat.

Here there is a severe animal feed shortage, Ireland is hugely dependent on agriculture and because of the exceptionally cold spring there is a severe shortage of food for livestock, sure we had a mild winter this year but the spring very cold and the last 3 winters have been unusually cold. I can see already that the last few years have brought more chaos because of cold than what a few years of warming have done for us, and I do have to ask that if it gets colder and colder, or these winters and cold springs last longer in the future what impact that will have on food production ? I see that May this year alone has hardly brought temperatures past 10-12 degrees C and march being one, if not the coldest on record.

Ireland is not known for its sunshine or warmth but as a child I can remember much more frequent warm spels with a lot more sunshine, but it was also a lot wetter with severe thunderstorms that we just don't get any more and I'm talking 15-25+ years ago. 1995 being the warmest longest summer in my memory . And 1998-2005 broke a few records for high temps but since 2005 it has cooled off considerably.

I have heard similar stories through Europe, I'm not a climatologist, just an average man, but I have to see what's going on around me and I do have to question this anthropogenic warming that's forced down my throat all the time.

I don't think that for many many years yet scientists will know for sure or may never know the real cause as climate changes over thousands of years or even hundreds and I think there are too many variables to know for sure just yet.

But saying the debate is over is basically saying to the people that question the science to shut up that we are right and that's that. I think a few years of warming and a few of cooling are no proof of anything other than the climate is always changing and what happened in the past does not reflect what will happen in the future or even matter to the present, maybe the earths temps and climate patterns will just go back to normal as we see it.

But I'm sick to death of every weather event being linked to anthropogenic warming or climate change, previously known as global warming be it warming, cooling or storm.

That's just an average mans view.
Delivery 20 th January 2015 . Top Spec with 6.6 Kw Charger . 44,200 miles as of July 2017. Battery SOH 95%

WetEV
Delivery Date: 16 Feb 2014

Wed May 15, 2013 8:29 am

DanCar wrote:Is the science settled over global warming? If so when?

What exactly do you mean by settled? Gravity is still a hot topic of research, as quantum and relativistic predictions disagree, but I'd not suggest jumping off a building.

For practical purposes, there is no realistic doubt that a large increase in CO2 will both warm the surface and make life harder for all.
WetEV
Most everything around here is wet during the rainy season. And the rainy season is long.
2012 Leaf SL Red (Totaled)
2014 Leaf SL Red

Smidge204

Wed May 15, 2013 8:36 am

WetEV wrote:but I'd not suggest jumping off a building.

I would :mrgreen:

=Smidge=

WetEV
Delivery Date: 16 Feb 2014

Wed May 15, 2013 8:42 am

o00scorpion00o wrote:Co2 levels have surpassed the 400 ppm that some have said there is no going back from and we will all roast in a hellish fire in the future. But global satellite records show a decline in temps in the last 10 years or more, 1998 having the largest temperature recorded. And gradual reduction since with spikes here and there. So if c02 is the highest it's ever been why are temps getting lower ?

You are correct, see this:

http://www.skepticalscience.com/graphics.php?g=47

I'm a realist. How about you?
WetEV
Most everything around here is wet during the rainy season. And the rainy season is long.
2012 Leaf SL Red (Totaled)
2014 Leaf SL Red

Stoaty
Gold Member
Delivery Date: 12 Jun 2011
Leaf Number: 3871

Wed May 15, 2013 8:53 am

o00scorpion00o wrote:But global satellite records show a decline in temps in the last 10 years or more, 1998 having the largest temperature recorded. And gradual reduction since with spikes here and there. So if c02 is the highest it's ever been why are temps getting lower ?

With 2000-2010 the hottest decade on record globally, I would say you have a strange idea about temps getting lower. If you are going to look at the big picture, you can't cherry pick one exceptionally hot year to try to make your point.
2011 Leaf with 62,000 miles given to Nephew
2013 Tesla Model S85 with 251 miles rated range at full charge
Leaf Spy Manual
Battery Aging Model Spreadsheet

Return to “Environmental Issues”