"Confronting Collapse" by Michael Ruppert (book and movie)

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mitch672

Book: http://www.amazon.com/Confronting-Collapse-Crisis-Energy-Money/dp/1603582649

Movie: http://www.amazon.com/Collapse-Michael-Ruppert/dp/B003CJXJ8Q/ref=pd_sim_b_2

Original Blog: http://mikeruppert.blogspot.com/
New Blog: http://www.collapsenet.com/

video from collapsenet:
http://www.collapsenet.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=1042&Itemid=28

Just saw this movie last night, kind of depressing, but all too real.

Get your gardening skills ready (an prepare your soil), buy some gold and organic seeds to barter with (and grow food), it's all about what happens after peak oil, and the decline of population (since oil is required to keep such a large # of people alive)

Our politicians, you know the ones who told us the full truth about the economy, are also lying about peak oil as well.. and what it really means for the world.

Discuss

Hi Mitch.
Just bought the DVD for $10 at amazon.com It sounds like an insightful documentary. I also highly recommend FUEL documentary released in 2010.
Thanks for the post...

Makes me glad that I'm an old codger as "humanity's" willingness to face a difficult issue and make an educated choice hasn't impressed me yet. Then you have those that just pray harder in anticipation of their ascendancy to heaven as the apocalypse finally comes.

The DVD is also on netflix.

For non-doomer ideas read John Michael Greer.

http://thearchdruidreport.blogspot.com/

Moving to environment forum.

mwalsh said:
Yeah, I saw it last night. Left me a bit bummed out. That guy needs to quit smoking too.

yep, although I don't think he's worried about the "smoking" killing him...

I was surprised that his new web blog costs $10/month, or $100/year, or $1,000 lifetime membership,
although I guess he does need some way to make a living.

if even 1/4 of what his predicitions come true, we should all do some "preparation"

mitch672 said:
although I guess he does need some way to make a living.

Hey, here's an idea for him....get a freaking job like the rest of us. Then he can do the "doom and gloom" prophecy circuit as a hobby or part-time.

Not that I disagree with the guy in any way, but the "poor me, look how broke I am" bit at the end really rubbed me the wrong way.

I call BS on the whole doomsday peak oil theory. It will be no worse than the struggles we have today.
No possible change I will waste my money on such a book or blog.

smkettner said:
I call BS on the whole doomsday peak oil theory.

Peak oil has nothing to do with doomers. It is just geology.

Apocalypse fantasy is not new. The "doomers" find one or the other reason to indulge in the fantasy - y2k, 2012, peak oil etc etc. It is quite widespread in rightwing Christian/Muslim theology as well.

doomer? He has some interesting facts, like it takes 10 calories of oil/natural gas energy for every calorie of food that is produced today. It takes 7 gallons of oil to make 1 tire.. It's not doomsday, it's just facts, that of the 7 billion people on earth currently, many will not survive with the loss of "cheap oil/energy", it's going to have to be a different way of life, where food is produced in local communities, without agrachemicals, and without the use of oil based pesticide, tractors, transportation, etc.

you can choose to ignore the warnings at your own peril, or you can take some steps to hedge on the future... I will do some preparing, but not to an excesive degree, but it never hurts to be prepared for the worst, and hopefully the reality will not be as bad.

mitch672 said:
It's not doomsday, it's just facts, that of the 7 billion people on earth currently, many will not survive with the loss of "cheap oil/energy", it's going to have to be a different way of life, where food is produced in local communities, without agrachemicals, and without the use of oil based pesticide, tractors, transportation, etc.

That is the std theory.

The important difference between doomers and others is - what is the result of declining oil production. Doomers assume the civil society as we know it will completely collapse. Some others (like me) think the de-industrialization will be a slow (though painful) process.

http://thearchdruidreport.blogspot.com/2006/05/on-catabolic-collapse.html

evnow said:
mitch672 said:
It's not doomsday, it's just facts, that of the 7 billion people on earth currently, many will not survive with the loss of "cheap oil/energy", it's going to have to be a different way of life, where food is produced in local communities, without agrachemicals, and without the use of oil based pesticide, tractors, transportation, etc.

That is the std theory.

The important difference between doomers and others is - what is the result of declining oil production. Doomers assume the civil society as we know it will completely collapse. Some others (like me) think the de-industrialization will be a slow (though painful) process.

http://thearchdruidreport.blogspot.com/2006/05/on-catabolic-collapse.html

Well, there are signs it's already happening in "other" parts of the world at an increasing pace.
When it hits the U.S., fully, and the public finally realizes whats going on, is really the only question.

Many choose to ignore it, and think that "science" will find a new/cheap energy source, and we will be "saved" from our oil addiciton. Not likely, and that's the point. Nothing can replace oil, and support our current way of life.

If the decline happens over 5 years or 20 years, it's still going to happen, no one really disputes that fact (although no one from the U.S. government will officially admit this) for those that know whats coming, some preparations can be done, to improve your chances of survival. That was my original reason for posting the thread.

mitch672 said:
Well, there are signs it's already happening in "other" parts of the world at an increasing pace.

Like where ?

Nothing can replace oil, and support our current way of life.

Ofcourse. But you writing this tells me, you are not reading the links I've posted.

If the decline happens over 5 years or 20 years, it's still going to happen, no one really disputes that fact (although no one from the U.S. government will officially admit this) for those that know whats coming, some preparations can be done, to improve your chances of survival. That was my original reason for posting the thread.

I understand the reason - but if you read the links I posted (or related literature & books) - you will see that doomers have it all wrong. From various past collapse examples, people live in the cities have the best chances of survival. People who piled up supplies are the first target of attacks.

In anycase, the US government with a trillion dollar budget isn't going away anywhere in a hurry. Look for rationing of oil and a slow decline lasting generations as cheap oil runs out.

I found a bit torent link for the DVD, if anyone wants it send me a PM and I will send the link.
I won't post it here.

EVnow: Britain, Afganhastan, 42 minutes into the movie places are named.

Have you watched this DVD, I would have to ask.
His motto is exactly yours "infinite growth on a finite planet is impossible"

Also, he is syaing the "transition phase" could be as short as 20 years, or as long as 50 to 100 years, so 1 or 2 generations.

He also agrees that stockpiling food isn't going to work.

I'm ready........

4655908909_77b81db48e.jpg

:cool:

mitch672 said:
EVnow: Britain, Afganhastan, 42 minutes into the movie places are named.

Afghanistan has been in shamles since the soviet invasion and US support for muslim terrorists - which incidentally created the problems we see in Pakistan now - and the 9/11. Britain's problems are ofcourse related to depletion of their oil resources.

Have you watched this DVD, I would have to ask.
His motto is exactly yours "infinite growth on a finite planet is impossible"
Also, he is syaing the "transition phase" could be as short as 20 years, or as long as 50 to 100 years, so 1 or 2 generations.
He also agrees that stockpiling food isn't going to work.

It had been a long time - so watched it again last night. BTW, we have been reading about people like Ruppert and Kunstler for a long time on TOD. Because of all the personal problems he has had - he is deep into conspiracy theory, including 9/11.

Anyway, to give one weird example of his belief - he says in the movie that the population that goes up fast has to collapse fast - it is as much sound science as thermodynamics. Then he gets all hung up on "fiat currencies" like Glenn Beck.

There are a lot of sane people writing about peak oil and possible future scenarios. No need to wade into this mess. If you want to read doomers - read Kunstler. An excellent author and a much better read.

If you want to get some basic facts of oil and how localization is the obvious answer to peak oil - read Jeff Rubin's "Why Your World Is About to Get a Whole Lot Smaller: Oil and the End of Globalization".

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/report-on-business/commentary/jeff-rubins-smaller-world/

No, you will see that there are different points of view.

Who has it all wrong, or all right - probably no one at this point - is yet to be seen.

evnow said:
... if you read the links I posted (or related literature & books) - you will see that doomers have it all wrong.

Yodrak said:
No, you will see that there are different points of view.

Who has it all wrong, or all right - probably no one at this point - is yet to be seen.

Ofcourse, what I said is, IMO. But with history to back it up.

This is something I fault the PO community on. They should conduct some serious "war games" on post peak oil world. We would have some useful results.

BTW, ASPO conference is from tomorrow.

http://www.aspousa.org/worldoil2010/

I'll post the interesting videos / ppts once they are available.

Back