drees

Re: Western USA drought worst in modern era

Fri Aug 12, 2016 11:32 pm

I've been up in the lower Sierras the last 3 years and the number of dead trees up there the last two is shocking. Entire mountains are being wiped out.
'11 LEAF SL Powered By 3.24 kW Enphase Solar PV

RegGuheert
Delivery Date: 16 Mar 2012
Leaf Number: 5926

Mon Jan 23, 2017 6:31 pm

RegGuheert wrote:I guess what I am saying is that without the jetstream moving back to where it used to be, there will not be a significant amount of rainfall in your part of the world.
Well, the jetstream DID move back to where it normally was in the past:

The result is the wettest water year on record in CA to date.

Snow water is at nearly twice the normal amount:
California Data Exchange Center wrote:STATEWIDE SUMMARY
Data For: 23-Jan-2017
Number of Stations Reporting 74
Average snow water equivalent 30.7"
Percent of April 1 Average 104%
Percent of normal for this date 193%

Last weekend, reservoirs were at 111% of normal. No doubt they will be even higher this weekend.

Satellite photos show that CA has greened significantly versus three years ago:

So, no, the belief that snowfall is decreasing is just that: a belief with no facts to support it:
GRA wrote:A lot less tree cover in the lower montane forest belt, that's for sure, and probably we'll see the foothill woodlands/chaparral move well upwards as snowfall decreases.
Here is what wintertime precipitation looks like in CA BEFORE this winter happened:

Unfortunately, this means that many are currently suffering greatly due to the massive rains.
RegGuheert
2011 Leaf SL Demo vehicle
2011 miles at purchase. 10K miles on Apr 14, 2013. 20K miles (55.7Ah) on Aug 7, 2014, 30K miles (52.0Ah) on Dec 30, 2015, 40K miles (49.8Ah) on Feb 8, 2017.
Enphase Inverter Measured MTBF: M190, M215, M250, S280

GRA

Mon Jan 23, 2017 8:40 pm

RegGuheert wrote:
GRA wrote:A lot less tree cover in the lower montane forest belt, that's for sure, and probably we'll see the foothill woodlands/chaparral move well upwards as snowfall decreases.
Here is what wintertime precipitation looks like in CA BEFORE this winter happened: <snip>

Unfortunately, this means that many are currently suffering greatly due to the massive rains.

Yes, this January (Dec. had very little snow) has resembled Jan '97, aka the 'Great Yosemite Flood' year, with wave after wave of storms coming in, although the one then right around New Year's was very warm (the second or third storm in the string that hit us this time melted a lot of the snow that had just fallen, and caused the first round of flooding). We're now at about the sixth or maybe seventh storm this month, and high winds combined with lots of dead trees from drought are bringing them down all over the place. The fact that so much of the state burned during the drought probably also increases the amount of runoff, and certainly boosts the amount of sediment. While it's bad for the people who are getting flooded, we really need the water, especially to refill the aquifers. See http://www.npr.org/sections/thesalt/201 ... nderground

BTW, the link to the satellite photos doesn't work for me.
Guy [I have lots of experience designing/selling off-grid AE systems, some using EVs but don't own one. Local trips are by foot, bike and/or rapid transit].

The 'best' is the enemy of 'good enough'. Copper shot, not Silver bullets.

DaveinOlyWA
Gold Member
Delivery Date: 10 Nov 2016
Leaf Number: 314199

Sat Feb 04, 2017 7:41 am

Well CA has been asking for water for years and now they have it. hope they have contingency plans to not waste any during heavy water years. seems like there should be plenty of emergency storage areas for this situation. Watering everything that is brown now only means massive fire season in a few months.
2011 SL; 44,598 miles. 2013 S; 44,840 miles.2016 S30 (build 10/2016)"low water marks" 24,261.3 miles.363 GIDAhr 80.66Hx95.95%kwh28.1QCs205,L2's 226
My Blog; http://daveinolywa.blogspot.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Return to “Environmental Issues”