Our new Solar Panel Installation

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Azrich

Some of you asked for photos of our new solar panels. Here is a link to a blogspot I did about the installation.

http://randdsrayhome.blogspot.com/

The county inspector has signed off his approval. We are waiting for the electric company to install the meter that will record our production, then we will be able to flip the switch. Hopefully, that will happen in the next few days.

We are so excited!

Very cool, Azrich.

You're going to have so much fun watching that free power start flowing. Our installation is 45 months old and I still enjoy tracking the power we make and reducing our consumption to make for more "LEAFmiles".

With global warming, I could one day have ocean front property (we're 16 miles in right now). I don't know why I should be against it. ;)

Of course, LA could also become an island some day (or a suburb of SFO), even if global warming was corrected.

mwalsh said:
With global warming, I could one day have ocean front property (we're 16 miles in right now). I don't know why I should be against it. ;)

Of course, LA could also become an island some day (or a suburb of SFO), even if global warming was corrected.

Yes, we're moving northwestward at 1.5 inches per year, while N Calif is moving southeastward. Actually, over the next 20 million years, we'll be headed for the Aleutian Trench, according to Wikipedia, source of all truth.

Congratulations!!!

Nice pics on the blog, thanks. I plan on redesigning my web site to include all my Leaf related energy usage. It might get a bit confusing, but I've got the T.E.D. to help me break things down. ;)

Enjoy watching your meter spin backwards. :mrgreen:

The roof looked kinda plain before the solar panels, like there was something missing. And now it looks complete! :D

Here's a little tid bit you might or might not know - the Sunpower inverter is a rebadged Sunnyboy. And that's a good thing - Sunnyboy is a top of the line inverter. Compare:

__________ Sunpower: ____________________ Sunnyboy:
P-01-03-R-IMAGEASSET-01.jpg
SB8000US_2010.png

Thanks, johnr,

This is good to know. I like the orange cover better. It would brighten up the garage a bit.

Can't wait til we can flip the switch on!

Azrich said:
Some of you asked for photos of our new solar panels. Here is a link to a blogspot I did about the installation.

http://randdsrayhome.blogspot.com/

The county inspector has signed off his approval. We are waiting for the electric company to install the meter that will record our production, then we will be able to flip the switch. Hopefully, that will happen in the next few days.

We are so excited!
Rich are you going to get shade from the tree you may have to sneek over at night and cut it down :lol:

Why did they use 25 angle that is more for winter, mine has a 20 angle more for summer. It will generate more power in the summer at 20 angle which is when the rate is most costly. Did they ask you how you wanted it or just install the system?

actually, the "ideal" angle to mount the panels is the same as your latitude, plus 15 degrees in winter, or minus 15 degrees in summer. see the link below for even better info...

http://www.macslab.com/optsolar.html

The electric cost more in summer and I know at 25 angle on a yearly you get like 300k more but I want the most output when the cost is highest which is in summer. I also have net metering so the credit you get more money worth.

Very nice looking install! The did a great job attaching the mounts to the roof.

25* mounting angle will be a good compromise between summer/winter production.

Here are some pictures of mine Sunpower 5.16k system install. The panels along the ridge I want to prop up to level. The installer said he would need a permit for a base to do what I wanted. I wanted it high so I could get the early morning sun and I knew I would change the angle after they left. :mrgreen:

Install day

finished
The three panel in the front of the picture are my old solar hot water and still work great.

Inverter

Radiant barrier installed it block 97% of IR heat which keep about 50% of the heat out of the house

I installed Radiant barrier and insulation and it made a big difference.

Do panels ever have to be cleaned? With a flat roof I might be tempted to clean and adjust the angle twice a year.
Maybe that is too much bother. I know little to nothing on maintaining a home set up.

They can be cleaned but you do not get much extra power unless you had a dirt storm like we get in AZ. I clean mine so they look nice because it do not rain much in AZ.

Yeah, unless they get really dirty it's probably only worth about 5% from dirty to clean - as long as they're mounted on a decent angle rain should be enough to keep them clean enough.

In a dusty place like here, dust buildup on solar panels does make for a significant reduction of power. But they're very easy to clean, and you don't need to get on the roof either - just spray them with a garden hose!

Regarding the red cover for the inverter, you could call SMA (916-625-0870) and ask for a replacement cover for the Sunnyboy 6000US. Failing that, red paint is readily available :lol:

Back