Climate Call to Action - NYC Sep 20-21, 2014

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AndyH

http://www.rollingstone.com/politic...n-to-demand-action-on-climate-change-20140521

When world leaders gather in New York this fall to confront climate change, tens of thousands of people (and maybe you) will be there to demand they take action before it's too late
By Bill McKibben
May 21, 2014 9:00 AM ET
This is an invitation, an invitation to come to New York City. An invitation to anyone who'd like to prove to themselves, and to their children, that they give a damn about the biggest crisis our civilization has ever faced.

My guess is people will come by the tens of thousands, and it will be the largest demonstration yet of human resolve in the face of climate change. Sure, some of it will be exciting – who doesn't like the chance to march and sing and carry a clever sign through the canyons of Manhattan? But this is dead-serious business, a signal moment in the gathering fight of human beings to do something about global warming before it's too late to do anything but watch. You'll tell your grandchildren, assuming we win. So circle September 20th and 21st on your calendar, and then I'll explain.

What would be really disrupting would be all the environmentalists buying EV's. :idea:

I remember the saying when I was stationed in Texas, "We vote dry and drink wet in this county." :lol:

So it is with many... :roll:

Turnover said:
What would be really disrupting would be all the environmentalists buying EV's. :idea:

I remember the saying when I was stationed in Texas, "We vote dry and drink wet in this county." :lol:

So it is with many... :roll:
No, that would not be disruptive. Some environmentalists don't own cars. Others find ways to zero out the carbon from the vehicles they have so that new vehicles don't have to be produced.

The point of this march, and the discontent spreading through the world, is that we know that we need to get off fossil fuel to keep this planet's climate in a zone good for human survival - but politicians keep pushing to maintain a trajectory that's pushing us towards extinction.

The number one greenhouse gas emitter is buildings - homes and businesses. Number two is farming - and especially beef production. The entire transportation sector is number 3 - and the personal transportation vehicles talked about on this forum are potentially only about 25% of the ground transport fleet.

While moving to BEVs is a step in the right direction, it's little more than a drop in the bucket.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/...izers-over-2000-events-in-166-other-countries

NEW YORK -- More than 300,000 people turned out for the People's Climate March in New York City on Sunday, just days before many of the world's leaders are expected to debate environmental action at the United Nations climate summit.

March Organizers: Over 2000 Events In 166 Other Countries
Climate justice marches similar to the one in New York on Sunday took place in at least 166 other countries. Organizers told Reuters that at least 270,000 participated in events outside of New York.

According to the Guardian, about 2,700 events took place this weekend.

One of the biggest marches took place in London, where 40,000 people rallied and celebrities like Emma Thompson showed up. Melbourne also saw a huge turnout, with at least 30,000 people showing up.

r-CLIMATE-huge.jpg

I don't own a TV and quit mainstream broadcast news about 8 years ago. So... Did anyone see any media coverage of this event? Democracy Now live-streamed from the streets for two hours, and WeActRadio streamed for nearly four. Any other TV reporting?

If 400,000 People Were on the Street Outside Your Office, Would You Notice?
While the rally exceeded expectations in terms of turnout and energy. I have to say even I am floored by the abysmal coverage on the part of the networks.
As far as I can tell — based on (a friend’s) vigilant monitoring and what I’ve seen – or not seen – this morning, it is truly appalling that CNN, and apparently ABC and CBS (one minute of random raw footage on cbsnews.com does not cut in my book) ignored what was happening in their own backyard, weekend or not.
Good for NBC Nightly News for at least doing a story on it but cannot say the same for it’s Today Show which so far this morning — almost two hours in — has
not so much as mention the historic rally. They have, of course, heavily covered the missing UVA student, sadly still missing with NOTHING NEW TO REPORT, and what Gwen Stefani “really” thinks about the judges on some stupid talent show. Ugh.
http://climatecrocks.com/2014/09/22/if-400000-people-were-on-the-street-outside-your-office-would-you-notice/

Sunday News Shows Ignore Historic Climate March
No Mention Of The People's Climate March On Meet The Press, Face The Nation, State Of The Union, Or Fox News Sunday
http://mediamatters.org/blog/2014/09/21/sunday-news-shows-ignore-historic-climate-march/200839

gillistweet.jpg

Interesting news:

http://www.theguardian.com/environment/2014/sep/22/rockefeller-heirs-divest-fossil-fuels-climate-change" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The heirs to the fabled Rockefeller oil fortune withdrew their funds from fossil fuel investments on Monday, lending a symbolic boost to a $50bn divestment campaign ahead of a United Nations summit on climate change.

AndyH said:

I didn't notice lol.

I saw the message on the subway Friday night and Saturday about the rally and thought it would be small. We headed out about the town until the late afternoon when we flew back and didn't even notice until we took a walk and there were police barricades to cross a few streets.

The traffic and people flow looked very normal for NYC. Only after we read a few of the signs did we realize that was the climate change rally.

NYPD is arresting the 'polar bear'.

Now that the police are moving in to kettle and clear the protesters from the street the mainstream media shows up.

Mass arrests now. The folks that came to put their bodies on the line are sitting in the street and being arrested and hauled off one at a time.

Chants continue: "the criminals are over there" (pointing to Wall St), "we're here to protect your kids" "hands up, don't shoot" "climate change is class warfare" "time to get off of fossil fuels" "this is only the beginning"

Folks arrested appear to range in age from 20s through 70s.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xXGfZPd57hE[/youtube]

https://news.vice.com/article/thousands-rally-in-new-york-for-the-peoples-climate-march

Organizers had expected around 100,000 people to attend but announced Sunday afternoon that more than 310,000 protesters had assembled. The impressive march, organized in conjunction with more than 2,800 events in 166 countries, couldn't have come at a more demonstrative moment — just a week after national climate scientists reported searing temperatures over the summer months that broke all records since, well, records began.

Unfortunately, ISIS is so much more compelling, and better for ratings, than Crisis. :x

That being said, several hosts on MSNBC did cover the march in their hours (I only caught snippets of them as I was flipping to FOX ;-)). But coverage of the now perpetual war in the middle east still dominated the coverage. :-\
AndyH said:
I don't own a TV and quit mainstream broadcast news about 8 years ago. So... Did anyone see any media coverage of this event? Democracy Now live-streamed from the streets for two hours, and WeActRadio streamed for nearly four. Any other TV reporting?
While the rally exceeded expectations in terms of turnout and energy. I have to say even I am floored by the abysmal coverage on the part of the networks.

As far as I can tell — based on (a friend’s) vigilant monitoring and what I’ve seen – or not seen – this morning, it is truly appalling that CNN, and apparently ABC and CBS (one minute of random raw footage on cbsnews.com does not cut in my book) ignored what was happening in their own backyard, weekend or not.
Good for NBC Nightly News for at least doing a story on it but cannot say the same for it’s Today Show which so far this morning — almost two hours in — has not so much as mention the historic rally. [...]
Sunday News Shows Ignore Historic Climate March
No Mention Of The People's Climate March On Meet The Press, Face The Nation, State Of The Union, Or Fox News Sunday
http://mediamatters.org/blog/2014/09/21/sunday-news-shows-ignore-historic-climate-march/200839

"Lloyd indeed had Lyme disease, but as with many Canadians felled by the tick-borne illness, her diagnosis and treatment were delayed because of a system slow to acknowledge that public health risks were changing as the climate warmed. In a concession that many patients say is overdue, Canadian authorities now admit that the most common vector-borne disease in the United States is an "emerging" threat north of the border."
- Marianne Lavelle, The Daily Climate/Scientific American

AndyH said:
"Lloyd indeed had Lyme disease, but as with many Canadians felled by the tick-borne illness, her diagnosis and treatment were delayed because of a system slow to acknowledge that public health risks were changing as the climate warmed. In a concession that many patients say is overdue, Canadian authorities now admit that the most common vector-borne disease in the United States is an "emerging" threat north of the border."

Quite the spin, you get that from Faux News?

The "system" they refer to is not the medical treatment system, but the diagnosis part of the medical system. The exact same things happen in the US. If it looks like a common disease, they treat it as such without the expensive medical tests to determine it is a rare microbe that eats your brains.

2k1Toaster said:
AndyH said:

Quite the spin, you get that from Faux News?

The "system" they refer to is not the medical treatment system, but the diagnosis part of the medical system. The exact same things happen in the US. If it looks like a common disease, they treat it as such without the expensive medical tests to determine it is a rare microbe that eats your brains.
No, my friend, I did not get this from 'faux' so-called 'News.'

While it might make you feel better to dissect the medical system into 'diagnosis' and 'treatment' segments, that's a pointless distinction as the entry and exit from the system haven't changed.

The fact remain (I think we agree here?) that the system is not adapting quickly enough to change - and that climate change is bringing change more quickly than the medical system (dissected or not) is able to cope.

AndyH said:
No, my friend, I did not get this from 'faux' so-called 'News.'

While it might make you feel better to dissect the medical system into 'diagnosis' and 'treatment' segments, that's a pointless distinction as the entry and exit from the system haven't changed.

The fact remain (I think we agree here?) that the system is not adapting quickly enough to change - and that climate change is bringing change more quickly than the medical system (dissected or not) is able to cope.

Whatever your source it is very obvious they believe 'merica #1 in healthcare and universal healthcare is bad. This is false, and the distinction needs to be made it was a poor diagnosis because it was up until now uncommon. Not because it was the Canadian healthcare system.

Back