America's Oil Consumption Is Rising, Not Falling

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GRA

"America's Oil Consumption Is Rising, Not Falling, Outpacing China's"

http://insideclimatenews.org/news/20140714/americas-oil-consumption-rising-not-falling-outpacing-chinas" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Americans are ideots, they drive 1 ton trucks because they are cool and cost 10x more to maintain.

Then proceed to put themselves in the truck with nothing else.

Perhaps we need rationing to come back, that would go over well :)

Thanks Guy. :cry:

We need more BEVs and FCEVs and PHEVs and high-speed electric trains and NEVs and light rail. It would also be useful to have politicians that remember that they're human first...but that's not working so well for us.

Hell, we could require that all new pickup trucks under 1 ton be "weak hybrids", with at least the engine shutting off when stopped, and the ability to drive a few blocks as an EV. That last would help more than you think, because these idiots also drive to each store in a shopping center, individually...

The majority of Americans are only motivated by the American god money. So make the fuel tax $1.50 and watch all those unneeded suvs and trucks be traded in for efficient vehicles. Use that money for infrastructure including electric and other alternate fuels.

page 12 of the report shows world production and consumption by year and region..note that 2013 consumption was greater than 2013 production! probably what is keeping crude prices above $100 and does not spell well for future fuel prices. looks like demand is outstripping the supply mostly thanks to the consumption growth in the developing countries...

rmay635703 said:
Americans are ideots, they drive 1 ton trucks because they are cool and cost 10x more to maintain.

Then proceed to put themselves in the truck with nothing else.

Perhaps we need rationing to come back, that would go over well :)

Raise the gas tax for the first time in two decades and you'll solve that problem really quick.

roperld said:
Nice analysis, David.

With the reduced cost of natural gas, we are becoming like Thelma and Louise accelerating toward the cliff. As soon as it rolls over, things will get very bad, very quickly. In the past, we were on a slowly-dropping curve, but fracking is going to make the downhill side much steeper and more sudden.

LTLFTcomposite said:
I thought coal rolling was another term for driving an EV.

it very well could be.

but "rolling coal" is the term that describes when diesel pickups accelerate leaving thick black clouds of soot behind.

FYI; this is not how diesels are designed to run. you have to install a kit to make them work that way

DaveinOlyWA said:
LTLFTcomposite said:

it very well could be.

but "rolling coal" is the term that describes when diesel pickups accelerate leaving thick black clouds of soot behind.

FYI; this is not how diesels are designed to run. you have to install a kit to make them work that way

Sort of off topic but having owned a diesel I thought that report on CNN(at least that is where I saw it) is not exactly correct. On the older trucks without a DPF it is pretty easy to roll coal. All you need is a tuner(~$300). On the newer trucks you need a tuner and to remove the dpf equipment(which is a huge fine if caught). The diesel truck scene has really turned into the new version of the horrible hondas and such from the 90's and early 2000's. Nothing but idiotic people trying to impress their buddies and making a complete arse out of themselves in the process and ruining the ability to legitimately upgrade a vehicle because of all the attention and new regulations. My truck was a beast once I upgraded her but she didn't roll coal because she was tuned correctly.

DaveinOlyWA said:
LTLFTcomposite said:

it very well could be.

I call 'em "Reavers"

Reavers05.jpg

Back