The Best, and Worst, Places To Drive Your Electric Car

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TomT

Effects of Regional Temperature on Electric Vehicle Efficiency, Range, and Emissions in the United States.

http://pubs.acs.org/doi/pdfplus/10.1021/es505621s" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I live in Michigan. It'll be -6F tonight. I'm getting maybe 35 miles when it's around 0F on a full charge. If I make multiples stops through the day, I'll be lucky to get 15 miles out of the battery. The car just isn't practical in the winter, and that sucks, because the rest of the car (everything but the battery) seems to be great.

It is an interesting paper.
The big glaring omission is to look at the effect of temperature/winter one ICE vehicles.

kubel said:
I live in Michigan. It'll be -6F tonight. I'm getting maybe 35 miles when it's around 0F on a full charge. If I make multiples stops through the day, I'll be lucky to get 15 miles out of the battery. The car just isn't practical in the winter, and that sucks, because the rest of the car (everything but the battery) seems to be great.

Block the grille, lower the fan speed, and use Recirculate as much as possible. I live in a similar climate, this Winter anyway, and can still get 45+ miles.

In my 2014 when it is -4F (-20) and I really push it I can get close to 62 miles (100km) but to do that I will almost have to use no heat. But if if I want to be warm that easily becomes 45 to 50 miles. This is one of the reasons I leased. In our climate if you want any kind of buffer and want to be warm then a 150-200 mile range car is needed unless your commute and use is very low KM.

Back