EPA Wants to Know How Much Corn You Want In Your Gas

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TomT

The EPA Wants to Know How Much Corn You Want In Your Gas Tank (hint: not more!):

http://www.boatus.com/pressroom/release.asp?ID=1126#.VaaD4UpHarU

That Ethanol is some really REALLY nasty stuff. So highly corrosive, it's better than sugar if you want to ruin an engine. E85 is so bad, it even eats varnish out of a gas tank where the fuel has been allowed to expire and congeal. That's the only thing I've ever used it for.

RePo said:
That Ethanol is some really REALLY nasty stuff. So highly corrosive, it's better than sugar if you want to ruin an engine. E85 is so bad, it even eats varnish out of a gas tank where the fuel has been allowed to expire and congeal. That's the only thing I've ever used it for.

that... and beer!

It is also not good for gasoline as it lowers the energy level (and thus power and mileage), increases the instability and storage deterioration, and is hard on some fuel system components...

abasile said:
Zero corn in our gasoline sounds good to me. Growing corn is anything but carbon neutral.

Oh yeah, Brazil IS the standard bearer when it comes to vehicles, fuel, economics, and technology...

Ethanol is a terrible idea, period, on so many fronts!

lkkms2 said:
Brazil has been using more than 15% ethanol for decades.

TomT said:
Oh yeah, Brazil IS the standard bearer when it comes to vehicles, fuel, economics, and technology...

Ethanol is a terrible idea, period, on so many fronts!

lkkms2 said:
Brazil has been using more than 15% ethanol for decades.
Never mind the facts, just make the statement and that will make it true (NOT). The OIL INDUSTRY has put out so many false statements about Etanol that is just accepted without question. And of course we believe everything the oil industry tells us, don't we? Especially what they try to tell us about Electric Cars.

Range is a big one. We only charge to 80% and we still drive over 300 miles each week. We only charge to 100% once ever week or two just to get the balancing. Range has never been a problem for us, and never will. Also, we no longer do any public charging. We did in the beginning but then I thought about how much the FREE electricity was costing me in time and inconvience and realized that it was cheaper to just charge at home.

Ethanol, per se, isn't necessarily a bad thing. But using precious crop land and high-CO2, soil-destructive methods to produce it is insanity.

lkkms2 said:
"Good" Facts to Know about Ethanol. Nice to have alternatives to regular gasoline.

http://www.ethanolrfa.org/pages/ethanol-facts

Watch Video
Much of the ethanol produced in this country requires roughly the equivalent amount of fossil fuels to grow it. As a result, we are merely wasting farmland at great expense. The ethanol produced causes our ICEVs to wear out prematurely as a result.

Note that installing an acre of PV in the desert allows you to drive 1,000,000 per year versus 10,000 miles on an acre of ethanol from Iowa farmland and at 1/5 the cost.

Let's use farmland to grow food, not to subsidize farmers. If we find we have any extra farmland, let's use it to grow cotton to form the electrodes of advanced rapid-charging Li-ion batteries for transportation.

Back