GRA

ARPA-E awards $35M to 16 REFUEL projects for energy-dense carbon-neutral liquid fuels; leveraging ammonia

Sat Dec 17, 2016 4:54 pm

Via GCC: http://www.greencarcongress.com/2016/12 ... efuel.html

The Energy Department’s Advanced Research Projects Agency-Energy (ARPA-E) has selected 16 projects for a combined $35 million in funding under the new program “Renewable Energy to Fuels Through Utilization of Energy-Dense Liquids (REFUEL)”. (Earlier post.) The 16 REFUEL projects seek to develop scalable technologies for converting water and molecules from the air into energy-dense, carbon-neutral liquid fuels (CNLFs) using electrical energy from renewable sources. REFUEL projects will convert low-cost renewable energy into a transportable chemical fuel and use these fuels for transportation applications, while reducing production costs and environmental impact. . . .

The program is focused in two areas: (1) the synthesis of CNLFs using intermittent renewable energy sources and water and air (N2 and CO2) as the only chemical input streams; and (2) the conversion of CNLFs delivered to the end point to another form of energy (e.g. hydrogen or electricity). . . .
Guy [I have lots of experience designing/selling off-grid AE systems, some using EVs but don't own one. Local trips are by foot, bike and/or rapid transit].

The 'best' is the enemy of 'good enough'.

sendler2112
Delivery Date: 07 Jan 2016

Re: ARPA-E awards $35M to 16 REFUEL projects for energy-dense carbon-neutral liquid fuels; leveraging ammonia

Sun Dec 18, 2016 7:26 am

As renewable fuel for heavy fleet use use, ammonia fuel is an easier way to transport hydrogen and makes more sense than liquid hydrogen.
https://nh3fuelassociation.org/introduction/

GRA

Re: ARPA-E awards $35M to 16 REFUEL projects for energy-dense carbon-neutral liquid fuels; leveraging ammonia

Sun Dec 18, 2016 4:48 pm

sendler2112 wrote:As renewable fuel for heavy fleet use use, ammonia fuel is an easier way to transport hydrogen and makes more sense than liquid hydrogen.
https://nh3fuelassociation.org/introduction/

OTOH, I'd be far more worried about an ammonia leak in an enclosed space like a parking garage or tunnel than an H2 leak, but if we can make sustainable liquid drop-in biofuels commercially viable, that would obviously be the easiest option for fossil-fuel free transportation. However, even using algal biofuels grown in the ocean, it doesn't appear that we have anywhere near enough to meet our transportation needs; 10% is a current estimate for the U.S. in our waters.
Guy [I have lots of experience designing/selling off-grid AE systems, some using EVs but don't own one. Local trips are by foot, bike and/or rapid transit].

sendler2112

Sun Dec 18, 2016 5:15 pm

The concept is to find a way to harvest excess electrical output from whatever source is available and convert it to liquid fuel for transportation..

GRA

Sun Dec 18, 2016 5:41 pm

sendler2112 wrote:The concept is to find a way to harvest excess electrical output from whatever source is available and convert it to liquid fuel for transportation..

Yeah, I know, but the question (as always) is whether we've got the excess energy for the conversion process. I look forward to seeing how this goes, along with the other options.

sendler2112

Sun Dec 18, 2016 8:38 pm

We must use our current energy wealth and focus our efforts on all energy production fronts to eventually replace fossil fuel consumption for various reasons. Fossil fuels will be barely a blip on the timeline of human existence

Return to “Environmental Issues”