GRA

China Declares Death Of Gas Taxis In Beijing, Only Electric From Here On Out

Thu Mar 02, 2017 3:54 pm

Via IEVS: http://insideevs.com/china-declares-dea ... re-on-out/

. . .Effective immediately, Beijing will begin a phase-out process for gas-powered taxis. Those taxis will be replaced by pure electric cars, like the BYD e6 taxis seen in the images associated with this post.

Reports suggest that some 71,000 taxis roam the roads of Beijing. Right now, only 4,000 or so of them operate under electric power.

The phase-out begins now. Any new taxi entering service from here on out will be required to be pure electric. As older gas taxis are removed from service, their replacements will be required to be battery powered. Obviously, it will take some years to replace the whole 67,000-unit fleet of gas burners, but the process is underway right now. . . .
Guy [I have lots of experience designing/selling off-grid AE systems, some using EVs but don't own one. Local trips are by foot, bike and/or rapid transit].

The 'best' is the enemy of 'good enough'. Copper shot, not Silver bullets.

DarthPuppy
Delivery Date: 11 Aug 2013

Re: China Declares Death Of Gas Taxis In Beijing, Only Electric From Here On Out

Thu Mar 02, 2017 10:38 pm

At the bottom it recognizes the challenge of this switch due to the lack of charging infrastructure.

On a recent trip to Amsterdam, we found that we could arrange for an electric taxi - it was a Leaf. Seemed to work well there. So I think China has some examples they can study to increase the odds of getting it right.

Wasn't the eNV200 supposed to be in the U.S. by now as a taxi?

jlv
Delivery Date: 30 Apr 2014
Leaf Number: 424487

Re: China Declares Death Of Gas Taxis In Beijing, Only Electric From Here On Out

Fri Mar 03, 2017 10:15 am

Pretty amazing to hear that they have 4000 electric taxis already.

(O.T.: Riding in a taxi in China has to be one of the most horrifying experiences of my life. Taxi drivers would regularly cross the double yellow line to pass cars in front of them. One time the person I was with told the driver we were running late and to hurry, so the driver started to pass the car in front of us that was already crossing the double yellow line to pass the car in front of it. :o)
Last edited by jlv on Mon Mar 06, 2017 8:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
'13 SL+Prem (mfg 12/13, leased 4/14, bought 5/17)Tesla S 75D (3/17)
Model 3 reservation
(Probably no LEAF2 for me)

VitaminJ
Delivery Date: 07 Jan 2017
Leaf Number: 415775

Fri Mar 03, 2017 10:38 am

jlv wrote:Pretty amazing to here that they have 4000 electric taxis already.

(O.T.: Riding in a taxi in China has to be one of the most horrifying experiences of my life. Taxi drivers would regularly cross the double yellow line to pass cars in front of them. One time the person I was with told the driver we were running late and to hurry, so the driver started to pass the car in front of us that was already crossing the double yellow line to pass the car in front of it. :o)

Hey at least there are lines on the road! In Indonesia they drive the same way but there are no painted lines and the roads are only 2 lanes wide through most of the country. Once we were passing slower traffic and so was someone else coming the other direction so we passed that car on the wrong side of the road, they passed us on their wrong side, and then both of us weaved back to the correct side as the slower passed traffic came by. That was interesting!
2013 Ocean Blue SV w/ QC and LED

PM me about converting your 120v EVSE to 240v

SageBrush
Delivery Date: 13 Feb 2017

Fri Mar 03, 2017 11:55 am

jlv wrote:Pretty amazing to here that they have 4000 electric taxis already.

It may not take them long to replace the fleet they have.
2013 Model 'S' with QC & rear-view camera
Bought off-lease Jan 2017 from N. California with 63.9 Ahr after 22k miles
Car is now enjoying an easy life in Colorado

CharlieWurls
Delivery Date: 30 Mar 2017

Wed Mar 29, 2017 9:27 pm

That's actually huge because every major city in China is like 2 or 3 whole states in America. Good on them.

LTLFTcomposite
Delivery Date: 10 Dec 2011
Leaf Number: 5926

Thu Mar 30, 2017 6:12 am

VitaminJ wrote:
jlv wrote:...(O.T.: Riding in a taxi in China has to be one of the most horrifying experiences of my life...

Hey at least there are lines on the road! In Indonesia they drive the same way but there are no painted lines and the roads are only 2 lanes wide through most of the country. Once we were passing slower traffic and so was someone else coming the other direction so we passed that car on the wrong side of the road, they passed us on their wrong side, and then both of us weaved back to the correct side as the slower passed traffic came by. That was interesting!

Going further OT, one could ask if in a future world of self driving cars roads would we even want to have lines or lanes, or have all the cars driving on the same side of the road. Perhaps everything should be questioned, in this future world the roads are just paved surfaces where cars and trucks are routed dynamically based on algorithms that optimize everything. For example on a two lane road, if the majority of cars are headed in a particular direction at some time of day (say out of town in the afternoon) and just a couple cars are headed into town, the entire surface could be used for outbound traffic while the inbound cars are pulled over temporarily. Yeah it would suck to be in one of those inbound cars but the collective time savings would be enormous. It could all be quite a sight!
LTL
White 2012 SV delivered 10 Dec 2011 returned 25 Nov 2014 replaced with stopgap ICE Sentra
[35 months] [35K miles] [9 Bars]
2013 Volt replaced after 36 months/30k miles with ICE Rogue

GRA

Thu Mar 30, 2017 3:56 pm

LTLFTcomposite wrote:
VitaminJ wrote:
jlv wrote:...(O.T.: Riding in a taxi in China has to be one of the most horrifying experiences of my life...

Going further OT, one could ask if in a future world of self driving cars roads would we even want to have lines or lanes, or have all the cars driving on the same side of the road. Perhaps everything should be questioned, in this future world the roads are just paved surfaces where cars and trucks are routed dynamically based on algorithms that optimize everything. For example on a two lane road, if the majority of cars are headed in a particular direction at some time of day (say out of town in the afternoon) and just a couple cars are headed into town, the entire surface could be used for outbound traffic while the inbound cars are pulled over temporarily. Yeah it would suck to be in one of those inbound cars but the collective time savings would be enormous. It could all be quite a sight!

That assumes that motor vehicles are the only users of roads, and that there's no cross traffic, pedestrians, bicyclists, delivery vehicles, etc. It might well work for freeways to have x total number of lanes and be able to assign a changing amount for travel in each direction, sort of like what's done on the Golden Gate Bridge now with movable barriers, just without the barriers: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aVKcRHKH4Js but I don't see that as an option where you don't have limited access roads with no at-grade crossings.
Guy [I have lots of experience designing/selling off-grid AE systems, some using EVs but don't own one. Local trips are by foot, bike and/or rapid transit].

The 'best' is the enemy of 'good enough'. Copper shot, not Silver bullets.

LeftieBiker
Delivery Date: 31 May 2013

Thu Mar 30, 2017 4:08 pm

Small taxi operators will keep their ICEVs on the road as long as they can, rebuilding the motors, patching them up... it'll be many years before all are gone. Think "Cuba."

When there are no painted lines on the roads, no one can cross them illegally.
2013 "Brilliant Silver" SV with Premium Package and no QC, and 2009 Vectrix VX-1 with 18 Leaf cells.

The most offensive, tasteless phrase in use here is "Pulled the trigger." I no longer respond to posts that use it.

VitaminJ
Delivery Date: 07 Jan 2017
Leaf Number: 415775

Thu Apr 06, 2017 8:16 am

The reason Cuba has maintained cars since the 1950s is because they had no other choice. All those cars are held together with chicken wire and scraps and the engines are all from a Lada or Russian tractor. Assuming that same situation would happen in China, where more lithium batteries, brushless motors, and just plain electronics are manufactured than anywhere else in the world, doesn't make sense to me. A taxi driver wants to spend the least $ per mile on their vehicle and EVs just plain are cheaper in every way, as long as someone builds it in the first place and it can get you the needed distance.
2013 Ocean Blue SV w/ QC and LED

PM me about converting your 120v EVSE to 240v

Return to “Environmental Issues”