LTLFTcomposite
Delivery Date: 10 Dec 2011
Leaf Number: 5926

Re: Trumpists begin their attack on America's EV policies.

Wed Mar 08, 2017 3:40 pm

Musk is meeting with Trump again today. Maybe he can set him straight.
LTL
White 2012 SV delivered 10 Dec 2011 returned 25 Nov 2014 replaced with stopgap ICE Sentra
[35 months] [35K miles] [9 Bars]
2013 Volt replaced after 36 months/30k miles with ICE Rogue

VitaminJ
Delivery Date: 07 Jan 2017
Leaf Number: 415775

Wed Mar 08, 2017 4:11 pm

rmay635703 wrote:I wonder what the VW settlement money will end up going for?

Was supposed to build a nationwide quick charge network, maybe VW diesels will come back?

This is a VW dieselgate storage yard in Colorado:

That is millions and millions of dollars' of inventory, and there are several other storage yards like this round the country just with VW and Audis. They only have another year or two of storage before they will start to cost a lot more money to get back on the road. There was talk that VW and the EPA were working out a way to modify the cars and return them to the road, or to arrange a deal with another country to accept them. I suspect under Trump the EPA will relax it's expectations and allow the cars to be sold again with little (maybe no) modifications.
2013 Ocean Blue SV w/ QC and LED

PM me about converting your 120v EVSE to 240v

powersurge
Delivery Date: 06 Dec 2014

Fri Mar 10, 2017 9:03 am

I think that many are mistakenly equating that if Trump (I will call it the government), may relax some requirements for coal-based electrical production, the proliferation of electric cars will be negatively affected. Yes, while increased coal may be polluting, the presence of the EV is REALLY NOT TRYING TO STOP GLOBAL WARMING...

We are naïve to think that we are saving the environment with our Leafs... Do you think that even 1/2 million EVs on the road is going to stop polar ice from thawing?? NO. The true enemy of the environment are the developing third world countries that are becoming more affluent, like China, India, Korea, and many other small countries. Their population is wanting a piece of the American Pie - - Every driveway has a car. PLUS there are no environmental laws in these countries. So for every Leaf we buy, there are 100 new cars that are being driven in these countries.

In my opinion if the government increases coal use, we will have more jobs, rely less on foreign oil, and make more electricity within our country to charge our EV cars. After all, I have a Leaf NOT for the environment, but for: a) saving my driving dollars, and 2) Reduce the use of depleting oil supplies of our country and our planet. When the oil runs out, we will be back to horses and steam locomotives using.... COAL..
Last edited by powersurge on Thu Mar 16, 2017 7:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

webeleafowners
Delivery Date: 06 Oct 2015

Fri Mar 10, 2017 11:11 am

powersurge wrote:I think that many are mistakenly equating that if Trump (I will call it the government), may relax some requirements for coal-based electrical production, the proliferation of electric cars will be negatively affected. Yes, while increased coal may be polluting, the presence of the EV is REALLY NOT TRYING TO STOP GLOBAL WARMING...

We are naïve to think that we are saving the environment with our Leafs... Do you think that even 1/2 million EVs on the road is going to stop polar ice from thawing?? NO. The true enemy of the environment are the developing third world countries that are becoming more affluent, like China, India, Korea, and many other small countries. Their population is wanting a piece of the American Pie - - Every driveway has a car. PLUS there are no environmental laws in these countries. So for every Leaf we buy, there are 100 new cars that are being driven in these countries.

In my opinion if the government increases coal use, we will have more jobs, rely less on foreign oil to power electrical plants, and make more electricity to charge our EV cars. After all, I have a Leaf NOT for the environment, but for: a) saving my driving dollars, and 2) Reduce the use of depleting oil supplies of our country and our planet. When the oil runs out, we will be back to horses and steam locomotives using.... COAL..

I had no idea the US was using oil in electrical generating plants. I know in Canada with the exception of a few northern isolated communities we produce pretty much zero power with oil. For the most part 80 percent of our power comes from hydro or nuclear. In some provinces that is closer to 100 percent by hydro. I was under the impression that about a third of US power comes from coal. What states produce power from oil. Maybe Hawaii??? Curious.
2015 Smart Electric Drive convertible.
2016 Nissan Leaf SV 30KW
EV only Family...well except for the big diesel motorhome. :shock:

downeykp
Forum Supporter
Delivery Date: 31 May 2011
Leaf Number: 1931

Fri Mar 10, 2017 11:20 am

The bulk of the power generated in Hawaii does indeed come from oil. There is very little hydro power a little geothermal power and some wind generation. Household solar is big and getting bigger.
2011 Black Leaf SL+QC Vin. 1931
Res. 6-14-10 Order 1-25-11
EVSE: Mod'd Ver. 2 Nissan L1
Delivered 5-31-11

67 Months 25600mi. 10 bars

39 Suniva panels 10.3kw with Enphase micro inverters my electricity cost $21.87 a month.

webeleafowners
Delivery Date: 06 Oct 2015

Fri Mar 10, 2017 1:09 pm

downeykp wrote:The bulk of the power generated in Hawaii does indeed come from oil. There is very little hydro power a little geothermal power and some wind generation. Household solar is big and getting bigger.

Yah islands can be tricky for power. However I bet within a decade it will be mostly solar with some sort of storage for night time coverage.
2015 Smart Electric Drive convertible.
2016 Nissan Leaf SV 30KW
EV only Family...well except for the big diesel motorhome. :shock:

dgpcolorado
Delivery Date: 15 Dec 2011

Fri Mar 10, 2017 1:40 pm

webeleafowners wrote:
downeykp wrote:The bulk of the power generated in Hawaii does indeed come from oil. There is very little hydro power a little geothermal power and some wind generation. Household solar is big and getting bigger.

Yah islands can be tricky for power. However I bet within a decade it will be mostly solar with some sort of storage for night time coverage.
Like this?

Tesla’s newest solar project coming to Kauai

Meanwhile, off in Hawaii, Tesla Chief Technology Officer J.B. Straubel was meeting with the Aloha State’s governor, David Ige, to unveil the company’s latest solar-related project: nearly 55,000 solar panels to provide power to the island of Kauai.

Tesla is also including 272 of its Powerpack 2 batteries in the project, which will allow for solar energy to be stored and used at night. The company plans to turn the solar panels on in phases over the coming months.
That's 52 MWh of storage and 13 MW of PV.

GetOffYourGas wrote:...The federal tax credit does not apply to used cars. The only exception I know of is (was?) the CO state credit which applies to any car (new or used) that has not yet been registered in the state. (someone from CO, feel free to correct me if I'm wrong here)...

The Colorado $6000 tax credit on used EVs ended on December 31st. The current $5000 EV rebate is only for new EVs.
Blue 2012 SV Dec 2011 to Feb 2016
CPO 2014 Tesla S60 Mar 2016
One car, no ICE, at last!
Tesla Referral Code

LeftieBiker
Delivery Date: 31 May 2013

Fri Mar 10, 2017 1:48 pm

Powersurge is making the argument that just - by coincidence, of course! - requires him to do nothing he does not wish to do. Nice work, if you can get it. He is correct about oil in power plants, but Canadian fuel oil is still a bit better than coal - Alberta tar sands oil excepted. We can all be nihilistic and re-embrace fossil fuels, but that guarantees that things will get worse, fast.

Coal jobs are not coming back: they were lost more to automation than to market forces.
2013 "Brilliant Silver" SV with Premium Package and no QC, and 2009 Vectrix VX-1 with 18 Leaf cells.

The most offensive, tasteless phrase in use here is "Pulled the trigger." I no longer respond to posts that use it.

GerryAZ
Gold Member
Delivery Date: 12 Jun 2011

Sat Mar 11, 2017 9:21 am

Except for Hawaii and remote locations in Alaska, I doubt there is much oil-fired generation still in use in the USA for base load (perhaps some old units still kept available for peak needs). Natural gas (NG) is taking over due to the relatively low price of NG. Coal jobs will not come back unless NG prices raise a lot because it is becoming cheaper for utilities to buy power from independent NG-fired generators than operate and maintain their own coal plants.
Gerry
Silver LEAF 2011 SL rear ended (totaled) by in-attentive driver 1/4/2015 at 50,422 miles
Silver LEAF 2015 SL purchased 2/7/2015

LeftieBiker
Delivery Date: 31 May 2013

Sat Mar 11, 2017 2:33 pm

Coal jobs will not come back unless NG prices raise a lot because it is becoming cheaper for utilities to buy power from independent NG-fired generators than operate and maintain their own coal plants.

Again, the only col jobs that would return would be recently laid off heavy equipment operators. Automation and horrible things like "mountaintop removal" mining have eliminated most of the jobs already.
2013 "Brilliant Silver" SV with Premium Package and no QC, and 2009 Vectrix VX-1 with 18 Leaf cells.

The most offensive, tasteless phrase in use here is "Pulled the trigger." I no longer respond to posts that use it.

Return to “Environmental Issues”